Spark plug guide:All about spark plugs @ FI!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
That DSport article could be just for advertisement. I've read many books & articles from the tuners and they said the gain isn't really that much. They showed with the dyno sheets, too. They listed many sets of sparkplugs that have the capacitors...etc. Those sparkplugs may help for the combustion and gas saving.

For the same amount of $$, I'd go for the ignition box from MSD such as the 6AL or Crane. I used 6A and 6AL on both stock and FI engines, and they really improved the responsiveness of the accelleration, but not gain power. They really saved gas, too. They're also recommended for any FI setup to burn, and they really give the gain with FI setup when you tune the A/F and timing correctly.

gotcha... hey anyone ever put pulse plugs on a 1uz? Really like the technology and wanted to see what kinda gains on our beloved engine.

holy ish dude $200 for spark plugs damn man. they better make a ton of power. considering how they work it would prolly be better to buy a good ingition system like a crane or jacobs that does the same thing but doesnt get tossed out every tune up.

True Jake... never really looked at it like that but I guess replacing $200 is pretty high... who makes the best of the best ignitions?? I hear bad things about MSD so i am biased towards them, I hear crane is really good but havent gotten educated enough on the subject of ignitions.

True Jake... never really looked at it like that but I guess replacing $200 is pretty high... who makes the best of the best ignitions?? I hear bad things about MSD so i am biased towards them, I hear crane is really good but havent gotten educated enough on the subject of ignitions.
I came from the Honda crowd, used the MSD all along with many other Honda owners, and didn't seem to have the problems. MSD specifically make many products for Honda. The problem that you heard about MSD could be from the improper setups. MSD didn't make a lot of products for imports, so they had to be improvised and somewhat got in the wrong setup.

I wasnt too into ignition systems when i was N/A. Not enough power at the time... but on boost its going to have a lot of attractive benefits:

Quicker response
Better MPG
Complete burn
More HP
Less carbon buildup from cleaner burn

I wouldnt mind venturing into it but whats needed? Didnt david's LS400TT need 2 units? 1 for each bank I would assume. I know the crane units get kinda pricey and could get into the $800 realm at 2 units. Also, I know there's other things needed, whats up?

Restarting duscussion on SPark Plug Heat Ranges

Gang,

I am bumping this old thread because I have questions about heat ranges, and even anfter reading the excellent information provided in this thread, I need to get some more thoughts and experience based opinions so I can decide what to do for my project.

Since we know that Turbos do like iridium plugs, then what should be the heat range? If I use the logic in this thread, then I need to decrease the heat range of my plugs by 4 times or so. I am concerned that is way too much, but I do want to protect my engine from pre-ignition. So, what have you guys been doing? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan, I'd start out with a set of Denso IK24 iridiums (one range colder than stock) and pull them after a day or so and read them to see how they're faring in your motor.

I've run these on my supercharged setup and they work well.

Edit: Additionally check out this article on reading plugs - he points out several things that other plug reading articles completely miss: http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html

And there's sort of a continuation of this on the Ferrari Chat website here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121401

Last edited: