Reliabilty of Lexus LS400, 1uz-fe timing belt?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

maxuslexus

Hello:

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post! I have never owned a Lexus before. However, I'm working an a "potential" deal for an 1996 Lexus LS400 with 47,000 original miles on it! This LS400 is factory original in every way! This car runs and drives great and seems to have alot of power for one of these(unmodified)LS400's! My question involves the expected reliability of the timing belt, before replacement might be needed? Please answer this question, in regards to a stock(unmodified)LS400? At this point, I just want to know just how good and reliable(Or, unreliable?)these timing belts are-since the proceedure appears to be complicated for replacing the timing belt on these LS400's? No, the timing belt on the 1996 LS400 in question, doesn't need to be changed now-but, I'm just wanting to know what the expected lifespan(In normal driving!)would be, on the average, for these LS400's? I mean, on lot's of less expensive cars-these timing belts are just "throw-away" belts and require fairly early replacement! So, are these LS400 timing belts the "throw away" type-or, are these belts of higher quality and would last much longer, for their overall life span, before "requiring replacement? Please explain and clarify your answers? Thank you!

47K is very low. I just got a 1995 LS400 with 141K and its very smooth and quiet. As for the life of the timing belt, they are good for 95 to 100k miles. So you are good for the next few years.

On the TB, Lexus says 90k or 6 years. You don't want it to go on your 96, it's got the interferance engine. If it snaps you'll need a lot more than another belt. At the least I would have it inspected.

On the TB, Lexus says 90k or 6 years. You don't want it to go on your 96, it's got the interferance engine. If it snaps you'll need a lot more than another belt. At the least I would have it inspected.
If the timing belt breaks on the LS, it shouldn't snap anything else such as the head valves..etc. Toyota designed this better than a Honda. However, a Toyota/Lexus with a broken belt should need to be stopped immediately to prevent further damage.

David is right. The LS/SC belt is way too good at around 90K miles. It's recommended to be replaced at this point by factory. However, to be sure take out the belt cover, turn the crank slowly and check for any wear or crack.

My '96 is on its second timing belt - last time it was done was at 120k, now it's at 243k... I must be on borrowed time? When I took the spark plug valley covers off, the timing belt looked fine to me.