porsche 924s/944 1uzfe...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

beario

there are lots of threads on this engine swap///or not as the case maybe..i have physically measre the 1uz and the porsche engine bay...and theres nooooooo way that will fit
turret to urret on the porsche is74cm...tight...
crossmember/steering rack53.5/54 cm high/tall
bellhousing to slam panel edge 30cm

the 1uz is 70 cm on the cam covers
engine is roughly 25/26" tall
and engine is roughly 27" long...
so has anyone heard of an adapter or anyone ACTUALLY doing this or pics of the engine in the bay...or shall i just hang me ol boots up now...and go back to the sbc/lt1 engine...

but ls2 is not n the equation...as they are to expnsive,and then you need the conversion kit...to much money on an old car...sbc are like 1000£...ls are like 3000£ uk pounds her...

I forgot the model, but i wanna say the Targa had 3.8L v8's stock. Now I know the 944 doesn't but possibly similar engine bay dimensions? I talked with a guy at a local gas station about his beautiful red 944 I spotted and he said he had no problem fitting a turbo and accessories to his flat 6, and those are some wiiiide blocks!

I cant belive it wont fit in a 944, Ive seen 1uz in toyota starlets and there tiny!! Theres plenty of room in my e30 as well. It would be a great conversion though!!!!
Yeah whats up with the tiny AE86's with 1uz? If corolla can I say 924/944 can!

Well I should have elaborated a little. The 944 "rear" engine had a flat 6 in it. owner said he swapped parts from other Porsche's but in all he still crammed a flat 6 with turbo/accessories. I am not a Porsche tech, but the 6 cyl he had might have been swapped?

Attachments

• lexus-ls400-4-exhaust.jpg
    lexus-ls400-4-exhaust.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 158
OK guys.

The only rear engined Porsche built since 1964 is the 911 and it's variants.

The 924 and 944 were front engined with the trans in the rear driven by a torque tube with the clutch at the front.

74cm's between towers will let the 1U in and 20mm each side is heaps.

ok but the height is quite concerning???as its a lot taller than a sbc i would say...the main difficulty here is ADAPTING it to the 944 torque tube bellhousing...
the 1u runs a 305mm flywheel ring gear and a 21mm input shaft

what size is the 944 flywheel and input shaft...

i was hoping someone had made the adaptor...do you think its possible to use the 944 flywheel on the 1uz and re drill the crank holes for the 1uz...

or does the flywheel have to stay the same size weight to balance the crankshaft...???

does anyone have the answer/pics of one in the engine bay...

OR how would you go about fitting the engine to the torque tube...???
this would be an amazing swap...help help help before i fit a sbc...:banghead:

What Porsche are we talking about ? The 924 front engine 4 cyl, or the 944 rear engine 4 cyl ?

Meant 914/916 rear engine.

Alziemers arriving - my wife says it has already settled in !

Attachments

• DSCF0716.jpg
    DSCF0716.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0715.jpg
    DSCF0715.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0717.jpg
    DSCF0717.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0718.jpg
    DSCF0718.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0722.jpg
    DSCF0722.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 62
Erol,

914 & 914/6 were both mid engined.

Sorry I'm a past Porsche builder/modifier.

Beario,

You really need to keep the same sized flywheel for the starter to work.

I'd use the 1UZ bellhousing and adapt it to the 924 torque tube.

I don't think it would be rocket science to do.

You could use a custom flyweel and the 924 cluch plate with whatever pressure plate you want that is the right diameter.

Best bet would be get your hands on a 924 torque tube and start measuring/figuring.

I have owned a dozen 924/944/944 turbos... they are all front engined 4 clyinders.

And I have seen a 1UZ in a 944.... its easily possible. There is a ton of space in the 944 bay, heck some munters even put LS motors in.

Im doing a 3UZ into a 928 at the moment, just passing the point of no return,:scool: Engine, torque tube and transaxle have allready been ebayed, will be cutting out the floor and puting in a tunnel that will accommodate the 5 speed auto, ( Toyota engine and auto are lighter than the Porsche engine was on it's own.) -Porsche transaxle weighed 285 pounds,so will gain some weight there as well, will be running Holden IRS LSD, ratio still to be determined.

any news on this thread...i sent my car to thor over a year ago as they wanted a 944 to make a 1uz kit for,but in the end i pulled it from there and sold everything as just did not seem to be going anywhere and i was supposed to be getting it for cost,as i had sent the car there and engine for the measurements,but they wanted to charge me more than the actuall retail price for the kit...shame really lost a lot of money...
if anyone else has details of a kit please pm me as still looking to do this but will wait for a kit first thats sensible money before i buy another car...

come on someone who has the knowledge can make one

Attachments

• P1020098.JPG
    P1020098.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 79
I don't see any financial gain for someone to make a kit for this swap.

The commonest swap is into HiLuxs and there isn't a kit made for that.

oh yes there is ebay .uk they are selling them now for hilux...i am now looking into ijz and w58 5 speed which can be had for 1k,cut the tunnel in and use the supra rear diff set up...or buy a sensible car...lol...

I have owned a dozen 924/944/944 turbos... they are all front engined 4 clyinders.

And I have seen a 1UZ in a 944.... its easily possible. There is a ton of space in the 944 bay, heck some munters even put LS motors in.
pics and details...or anything on this swap...

ive wired up a 2jz vvti into a 944
fitted nicely
didnt go to bad either so thats possible
think they matted it to porsche gbox/ tube

main issies we had was fuel pumps as it sat round for so long beforehand
the fuel had turned to a greasy film and stuffed half the tank and pumps
so chekc that while yr at it

Attachments

• 29072009_car_modification_laws.pdf
    81.5 KB · Views: 18