MS3X Shopping list.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Doug68

Hi All,

I'm glad to see the forum is not dead, I'm back at my project after a long layoff, things have moved along since I was looking at this last.
On my engine I'm planning to use an MS3X

With these COP units: Toyota Denso 1UZ VVTI Ignition Coil 90919-02228

From what I have read / been told, If I change the crank trigger wheel to a 36-2 unit then I can do away with the cam triggers altogether.
  1. Is this the best trigger wheel to use to avoid the use of the cam triggers?
  2. Where do I source a 36-2 wheel from, just buy the VVTI version from Toyota or?
The MAP sensor from the M3X will be used and the MAF sensor ignored.
Knock sensors seem an optional thing, given the lack of tuning or boost on the motor, the plan is to ditch them along with the EGR, cruise control and other crap.

Am I going in the right general direction with this or am I missing something?

I'm curious to know how you can do away with the cam trigger by going to a 36-2 tooth gear?

For ignition it doesn't matter because you can run waste spark, but how do the injectors know when to fire? You need a cam trigger for that, AFAIK.

I'd heard from diyautotune that the 36-2 wheel as used on the VVTI was enough on its own.
Do the VVTI motors have cam triggers?
I want to get the plan straight before I get into it hence the questions.

Cheers.

Unless there has been some fundamental breakthrough in engine control in the last couple of years that I'm unaware of, the injectors need to know whether the engine is on its intake stroke, or power stroke, and the only way of determining this is with a cam sensor.

The ignition doesn't care, since a waste spark system will fire on both the power and exhaust strokes, but the EFI needs to know more........

And yes, the VVTi engines do have cam sensors as stock.

I'm a little surprised to hear that DIYAutotune said that - perhaps they were referring to the ignition side only? Or maybe they were referring to batch firing of injectors, which isn't really the best way to set these engines up.

@cribbj that makes sense, no biggy though on keeping the cam sensors, I'm pushed for space in front of the engine so I was hoping to get rid of as much as possible from that area.
The plan with the MS3X is to do sequential spark and fuel, so no batch anything.

I would be using the later coils which are smaller. 3uz or the 1uz after 2001 (170 series crown)

The MS1 you cut a tooth off the stock crank trigger wheel and don't run a cam sensor but with only 2 injector drives they are group.

Swapping to the VVti trigger is a much better option as it will give better resolution. I believe you would need a sync pulse for full sequential as there is no other way for the Ecu to know which cylinder is where. Once sync-ed it doesn't need the cam sensor (motec only use them after they run , they start wasted spark/group fire then sync once running then the cam sensor isnt used after that.) I don't know of a full sequential injection ecu that doesnt use a cam sensor.