Lexus to '98 NL Pajero

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Rods & Relics

Howdy trend setters.
A mate has put me onto this forum, I just had to join :D

I'm interested in doing a conversion to an Auto NL Pajero.
I build Hot Rods & restore cars for a living, so the main conversion will be something different but not a problem with any fabrication.
From what I can understand, I can change a few things on the auto box to get the motor to bolt straight up??
Is there a certain model motor I should be chasing?? is the VVTI a better choice?? bla, bla, bla!!
I have all the usual questions of ECU's etc. (this will be a HUGE learning curve for me :confused:)
Hopefully it can be a relatively easy job, but as I'm pretty much "old school" all that is a bit daunting atm.
I understand I will need a rear sump motor (not sure what model that will be from?)
Am I better off buying a half cut so I get all the bits?

I've searched a bit & can not find a build on this specific model??
Any guidance from the guru's here would be great!
Please excuse any "dumb" questions I throw at you guys.
CHEERS,
Rod.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15526 this is what I'm up to mines a 95 . The rear sump is the better fit but I still had to make it fit and the engine mounts are my next hurdle . The header pipes have lined up perfect , they do come close the steering rod . I'm using the 1uz , I'm not sure on the VVTi I think it's dimensions might make things a bit difficult. Safari as your auto it's just a matter of comparing the Lexus pump etc to prove you can swap the parts. The Computer for the Pajero auto is seperate I'm hoping to still use this but connect it to the relevant sensors on the engine

Thanks Pajman,
I have read your thread a couple of times & the other one did pop up in a google search.
I can't log onto the 3rd link (members only)
I still haven't managed to find a swap from someone who already had a V6 3500 petrol with auto, though there is some interesting info from South Africa, I think it was?
My mate has sent me some wiring stuff from a lexus (just not sure what I need yet!) & I'm about to go searching for the Pajero one.
My mate also mentioned the other night that if I was to fit extractors, I'd get a noticeable improvement in hp. He did an install into an early Chev a few years ago & has been driving the wheels off it since. I took it for a drive back then & was impressed at how it went for a full sized sedan :eek:
Anyway, Not sure if I can get after market extractors/headers to fit or I'll just make my own. I might even do my own stainless exhaust yet, so my own headers could happen, but I'm very time poor atm.
At this stage I hope to do as much homework as possible, buy what I need & do the conversion at work (limited time off the road)
As mentioned, it's mainly the wiring I'm trying to suss out, I believe it might have even been your thread that says to use the Paj sensors in the Lexus motor?? I can fully understand the use of oil pressure & water temp senders to keep the gauges correct, it's the fuel management that might be a little tricky. I reckon I can even adapt the cruise control to work as per normal as it is really only a cable to the throttle body (sensors I'm not sure yet!)
I have just missed out on a rear sump, but not knowing what model motor I should go for, I figured if need be, I'd find another.

I will re-read your thread (thanks!) just in case I have missed something (actually, I did save some of your pics :D:D)

You can get any of the sump configurations when you buy your motor and then get the right sump to suit
Castlemaine rod shop do a good sump that looks like it it would work the best as it misses the diff completely.
I'm using the Lexus ECU for the motor . And hope to control the Pajero auto with the kickdown , temp sender for the OD and TPS on the throttle body spliced into the Pajero auto circuit ( this is all hoping I can trace the right wires)

Thanks again! (& not meaning to beat you to helping me out!)
I have only a little while ago tripped across that (searching) but having to head out to do a few Sunday jobs (mow lawns etc!) I for some reason closed the page :eek:
Isn't there some reading in that!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Now that you have brought it up, I'd better jump on your link & save the info (Thanks heaps!!)............. but all the electronics are doing my head in already :rolleyes:

Yes, I am running the 3500cc V6 Petrol, already Auto.
All stock, bar stuff for towing & a dual battery system (I hope the deep cycle N70z that I was told that I "couldn't fit" will still fit there ;))

I also found a Youtube link in the exhaust section here that has a Lexus sounding just like I want.......... Deep & Throaty without too much noise.
From what I can find out, these motors run well with just run the cats up front & then to mufflers behind the diff at the back to give that sound (it has to sound right too! :cool:)........... I am a Hot Rodder :D

On the Tacho side of things, I'm presuming the Paj is just a pulse type, so maybe I can do something there. I have found a wiring diagram of a Paj, but only to '96, so not sure they are the same, but I downloaded it just in case.
I also believe the Delta Van is basically a Pajero?? I think I saw something some where on one of those being done, but I didn't know they are similar when I found the info (more history re-tracing!)

I might grab a beer & keep reading :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the CAE Headers fit in a Paj ???
I also believe they do a sump, but not sure if it has the bolts to the trans which I believe are important to use?

Today I just fitted my two batteries , the rear one I had to raise about 45mm to clear the lexus loom that i had already run , so probably should have planned that a bit better . Also my front battery just fit! I'll get a pic up soon so you can see how tight things are. I have heard the late model headers are very good on these motors , and they sound great by them selves! V8 Supercars are on at the mo so am contemplating a beer to

Today I just fitted my two batteries , the rear one I had to raise about 45mm to clear the lexus loom that i had already run , so probably should have planned that a bit better . Also my front battery just fit! I'll get a pic up soon so you can see how tight things are. I have heard the late model headers are very good on these motors , and they sound great by them selves! V8 Supercars are on at the mo so am contemplating a beer to

I reckon I have an old pic somewhere of my dual batteries I did.
I'll stick one on my photobucket & post it.

Heck, how did I miss the suppercars :eek::eek:
(I haven't even got the telly on........... too busy "reading")
I have got to the section on all the sensors in that write up, I NEED another beer to cope with it all!! ;)

Looking at the engine bay the v6 takes up a bit of room. I'll get my pic up tomorrow my project I'd outside until I get it running then I can take over the garage. Bloody safety car is out .!

There's heaps to read . But it's worth the time to research and work things out. If anyone asks why are you doing it , just say the 1UZ was voted in top ten engines in the world so why wouldn't you jump at the chance to do it

There's heaps to read . But it's worth the time to research and work things out. If anyone asks why are you doing it , just say the 1UZ was voted in top ten engines in the world so why wouldn't you jump at the chance to do it

I agree (I am a bit of a rev head at heart too though:D:D)
The Paj does more than it's fair share of towing a large enclosed car trailer, so with the 310,000 kms on her, she is feeling the strain (we have been building a new workshop truck to tow this trailer & then we plan to build a 5th wheeler for that truck) but for the time being, all that is on hold, so we are still using the family 4x4. If I can re-power her at a reasonable price & get a few more years, then all is good. the rest of the Paj is pretty good, but worth nothing as a trade, so why not use what we have ;) Not a full sized 4x4 by any means, but we have a good run so far.

p.s.
I have finished the read! :eek: I think I will have plenty to just sort out as we go, but at least I've only got a few towing jobs to go. The trailer doesn't usually see much use during winter apart from the odd trip to the painters with customers stuff so maybe it's time to do this before I get caught out with a stuffed motor.

Now,
back to the forum & hopefully some more useful info :D

Just to add mate your engine will bring some dollars as did my diesel . The Lexus motors are usually low ks and are well priced , here in nz they come with the ECU , and the auto so are good value for money

Just to add mate your engine will bring some dollars as did my diesel . The Lexus motors are usually low ks and are well priced , here in nz they come with the ECU , and the auto so are good value for money

Maybe, but the reason I want to either change the engine or car, is it's starting to use oil & rattle on the odd occassion (though not that bad ... yet!)
I did a compression test some time ago & all was still fine, so maybe you are right, move it on before I have any $$ expensive $$ problems.

When I'm on the go, I just can't afford to be with out a tow rig, so until the shop truck is built, I need something (I like the idea of a bit of a sleeper anyway :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D)

I reckon some of my new staff could also use the experience, even though we mainly work on old stuff! it's still kind of custom work ;)

Well,
Thanks to a lurker here. Thanks John!! (& he is almost a local who is looking to the same conversion)
I now know I can easily buy a Tacho Signal interface unit to convert my original tacho to read the V8. Dakota Digital do one (I can't believe I didn't think of checking with companies like this (we have used their gear before & have found it to be of very good quality)
Anyway, that is one of the many problems solved.
John has also kindly sent me the wiring diagrams for the Pooee, much to get through there, but at least I now have both wiring diagrams, so a good place to start!!

Is there any others with input/ advice????
CHEERS,
Rod.

hiya guys....

i am going through your threads.

have a simmilar project at hand. my 1997 GDI pajero with tiptronic automatic knocked off. plan on swapping it with a 1 Uzfe.

need heaps of guidance pls. do share your notes if possible. else it be re-inventing the wheel.
cheers

Gee,
It's been a while since posting this!
(I had to hunting as my laptop died & I lost all my saved info)
Anyway,
You wouldn't believe it, the missus spun the crankshaft pulley in the driveway at home :mad: (could been much worse. I'd just returned from towing my car trailer from over 2 hours away!)
It wasn't a good Christmas pressy & I am yet to inspect things, so the Paj just sits in the drive at the moment. Not looking forward to it really!
Unfortunately I also had to fit extractors last year as we cracked a manifold.
Grrrrr!!

So,
I'm now back at the thought of doing a transplant as the motor has plenty of extra km's on it too!
If anyone has any further info, it would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers & Happy New Year!!
Rod.