Learning About Australia

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
australia.gif

Seems like the SE Australia is quite busy. What about along the coast to Perth.... Lots of land.... Great Australian Bight area.

Is Australia divided in 4 region or states? North, South West and Queensland?

Australia is divided into 8 States and Territories.

They are:
Australian Capital Territory. Sort of your Washington DC. Very small land area 250,000 residents mostly Public Sevants. The Seat of the Australian Government. Canberra is the Capital of the Territory and the Country.

New South Wales. Largest population (approx 5,500,000) with Sydney as it's capital.

Northern Territory. The Australian "outback" this is Crocodile Dundee Territory. Population 500,000 (half native Austrailan) Capital Darwin. It is 1,000 miles between the only 2 cities in the Territory and there are perhaps 5 other towns of any size. This is where you see see trucks pulling 3 trailers with up to 60 wheels. We call them road trains. Overtaking them is fun.

Queensland. Geographically above NSW with about half the population. Brisbane is the capital. The Great Barrier Reef runs down half the coast.

South Australia. As the name suggests in the south and abuts a fair section of the Great Australian Bight. Population around 1,500.000. capital Adelaide.

Tasmania. The little island at the bottom of Australia. This is Australia's smallest State with a population of around 500,000 (who are mostly related to each other) Capital is Hobart.

Victoria. Second smallest State. Population around 4,500,000. The best roads and the worst cops! Shares the economic control of Australia with NSW. Capital Melbourne.

Western Australia. Our biggest state (you could fit Texas in here a few times!) which is mineral rich. Population around 1,000,000. Capital Perth.

87% of Australians live within 150klm (1200 milles) of the Ocean.

We have large stretches of nothiness. From Adelaide to Perth you will not pass thru a decent sized town. This is a 2 day road trip. The rail line here runs for over 300 miles without a bend! From Perth to Darwin is 3-4 long days of driving without passing thru another city. Largest town enroute is Broome.

60% of our population would reside along the South East coast from Brisbane down to melbourne.

western australia has pretty much everything - minerals, gas, fish, wheat, livestock, tourism etc. there was a vote just before WW1 for "secession" - WA becoming a republic, independent of Australia. well, the war broke out and that was the last we ever heard of it. the east coast of australia would die without WA. and yet they still buy our produce for next to nothing and sell it back to us at twice the price - and the politicians let it happen. okay no more politics.

our population is actually closer to 1.7mil, with 1.2mil in south western corner alone.

the great australian bight is a desert - a big fcuk-off desert. the first settlers named it "the nullarbor" - or "no (null) trees (arbor)". the only real sized town is esperance, a seaside holiday town for people from kalgoorlie (goldfields country - 8 hours drive away from perth - where those two highways heading east of perth meet)

we have livestock stations on the edge of the gibson and great sandy deserts that are approx the size of arizona.

you can drive from perth to albany (southern most town) in about 4.5hours along the highway. along the way you pass thru cattle country, wheatbelt country, vineyard country, the karri forests (whopping great trees) and the cliffs along the south coast.

the kimberley is packed full of tourists and very drunk locals. it also has the most breathtaking scenery in the world, with 2 seasons being wet (october - march) and dry. when it's dry, it's hot. when it's wet, it's hotter. out on some of the minesites around roeburne and port headland (around the mass of highways before broome there) the temps been known to hit 47ºC, or 125ºF in the shade.

the sea breezes in perth are called "the fremantle doctor" - every day at 2pm they hit the same knots as yesterday in summer. you can tell the time with the way the breeze hits.

we have masses of km of untouched beaches, a very multicultural society (african/ vietnamese/ italian/ greek/ english/ australian/ chinese/ japanese/ pacific islanders to name a few) and our sunshine is to die for. literally.

with no ozone layer you get 10mins in the summer sun with no sunscreen before you turn red. and i'm not talking "wake up in the morning with a tan" red, i'm talking "stays red and sore for days, hot showers burn and it eventually peels". you're not allowed to sell sunscreen with a SPF rating of less than 30. sunglasses, hats and sunscreen are a tax deduction for outside workers like gardeners, bricklayers etc. if you summer sunbake for more than an hour with no sunscreen, you can expect to get very, very sick from the solar radiation and 3rd degree burns to your skin. i got burnt gardening about a month ago in the dead of winter with light cloud cover. i won't even get into melanomas.

so yeah, a brief history into life in WA. i love it for the weather, but there is no nightlife. everything in the CBD shuts at 5:00 - but it's getting better. there's what i like to call the "shithole", or northbridge as the suburb is called, where all the clubs are. tryhard gang activity make it a dangerous place to be, with attacks being very random. my clubbing days are over, i've slipped into pub life now and enjoying it.

beer, sun, sex and surf.

oz

I like the one about Canberra being the seat of government, When you have an enema thats where they put the tube, in the seat area, right.

And what about the Hutt River Province, he seceded(check spelling) in the mid 70's.

I was fencing on Delamere Station in the mid 80's and the side of one paddock was 48 k's long with temps in the 50's C.

And we don't all wear Steve Irwin shirts and say 'crikey'.(althought I have been known to on the odd occasion, usually after copius quantities of 'Fosters'.)

Sorry just had to put my 2 bobs worth in.

But having travelled around this big ball we live on I cannot help but think that this is the best place to live.

Come and visit us sometime , I think we will look after you.

Peter.

aussie is great, but for a great place to go, come to nz! sure its a bit colder, and we dont have topless beaches, but we dont have poisonous spiders or snakes either.
quick summary: to see aussie, rent out a movie called 'the castle'. what a 'ripper' of a film. i love it to bits and enjoy it more the more i see it. for nz see 'lord of the rings'. fantastic scenery and landscapes, and hobbits.
ps. common misconception about nz - sheep do not roam free on the roads.
thats my two cents.

New Zealand is so good - that's why most of them come over here to live.

Seriously, NZ does had great scenary.

New South Wales and Victorians think they are the most important but we all know that God's country is Queensland. You know what they say - Sunny one day, perfect the next. That's why there are large quantities of southerners move to Qld at the rate of 1500/month.

The biggest misconception most people have about Australia is the size of it. We are actually as wide as the US, as high as the US and have about 85% of the land area. All with a small crowd of only about 20 million of us here. Most of the population lives from Brisbane to Melbourne down the east coast. The rest of it is wide open spaces with not a lot of population. That's why we love it here in Oz. It's our secret.

Qld id definately gods country, but why did he fill it with d*ckheads???

Only kidding, I travel to Qld about twice a year (5 hr plane flight sucks) and a great place and great people. For reference to our American friends, people from different states in Australia always hang insults on each other

for example, a tasmanian virgin is a girl that can outrun her brother...
there was a great poem about australia, will see if i can find it somewhere

I would however comment that the reference to the castle is hmmmm nothing like australia, just an overly ockerised satire on australian life, bit like saying watch "once were warriors" for a depiction of life in new zealand

Found it
-------------------------------------------------------------------
WE ARE AUSTRALIANS!

WE, the people of a free nation of blokes, sheilas and the occasional
wanker.

We come from many lands (although a few too many of us come from New
Zealand) and although we live in the best country in the world, we reserve
the right to bitch and moan about it whenever we bloody like.

We are One Nation but we're divided into many States:

First, there's Victoria, named after a queen who didn't believe in
lesbians. Victoria is the realm of Mossimo turtlenecks, cafe latte,
grand-final day and big horse races. Its capital is Melbourne, whose
chief marketing pitch is that "it's livable".
At least that's what they think. The rest of us think it is too bloody
cold and wet.

Next, there's NSW, the realm of pastel shorts, macchiato with sugar, thin
books read quickly and millions of dancing queens.
Its capital,Sydney, has more queens than any other city in the world
and is proud of it. Its mascots are Bondi lifesavers who pull their
Speedos up their cracks to keep the left and right sides of their brains
separate.

Down south we have Tasmania, a state based on the notion that the family
that bonks together stays together.
In Tassie, everyone gets an extra chromosome at conception. Maps of the
State bring smiles to the sternest faces.
It holds the world record for a single mass shooting, which the Yanks
can't seem to beat no matter how often
they try.

South Australia is the province of half-decent reds, a festival of
foreigners and bizarre axe murders. SA is the state of innovation.
Where else can you so effectively reuse country bank vaults and barrels
as in Snowtown, just out of Adelaide (also named after a queen). They had
the Grand Prix, but lost it when the views of the Formula One drivers to
sleep at the wheel.

Western Australia is too far from anywhere to be relevant. It's main
Claim to fame is that it doesn't have daylight saving because if it did all
the men would get erections on the bus on the way to work. WA was the last
state to stop importing convicts and many of them still work there in the
government and business.

The Northern Territory is the red heart of our land. Outback plains,
Sheep stations the size of Europe, Kangaroos, Jackaroos, Emus, Uluru and
dusty kids with big smiles. It also has the highest beer consumption of
anywhere on the planet and its creek beds have the highest aluminium
content of anywhere too. Although the Territory is the centre piece of our
national culture, few of us live there and the rest prefer to fly over it on
our way to Bali.

And there's Queensland............While any mention of God seems silly in
a document defining a nation of half-arsed sceptics, it is
worth noting that God probably made Queensland - it's beautiful one day
and perfect the next. Why he filled it with dickheads remains a mystery.

Oh yes, and there's Canberra. The least said the better.

We, the citizens of Oz, are united by Highways, whose treacherous twists
and turns kill more of us each year than murderers. We are united in our
lust for international recognition. Not that we're whingeing; we leave that
to our Pommie immigrants.

We want to make "no worries mate" our national phrase, "she'll be right
mate" our national attitude and "Waltzing Matilda" our national anthem. (So
what if it's about a sheep-stealing crim who commits suicide??)

We love sport so much our news readers can read the death toll from a
sailing race and still tell us who's winning. And we're the best in the
world at all the sports that count, like cricket, netball, rugby, AFL,
roo-shooting, two-up and horse racing.

We also have the biggest rock, the tastiest pies and the worst-dressed
Olympians in the known universe.

We shoot, we root, we vote. We are girt by sea and pissed by lunchtime.
Even though we might seem a racist, closed-minded,
sports-obsessed little people, at least we feel better for it.

I am, you are, we are Australian.

GOOD THREAD

i may have learned something?
I have been in Melborne area(or within 100km) all 32 years of my life, been to Queensland twice recently for holidays, mainly for the theme parks, COOLANGATTA is my pic for best area,
brisbane like melbourne and probably most other capital citys is a stay away zone for me, too many people with not much going on worth being there.
Quite happy here in Geelong but its getting a bit of a rat race too, i was looking forward to going to Perth, but the fear of severe SUN BURN will definatly make me plan for the weather
the Castle, interesting movie but i have not met too many Aussies like them, although i personally am a bit more of that type of Aussie.
Steve Irwin, I dont think anybody here acts like him LOL

haha, once were warriors is just like nz. lol. sorry i was just havin a laugh before. aussie is nice. thats why my sister moved there.
go steve irwin. crickey!!

haha, funny thing about steve irwin is that he is supposed to be like that in real life, not just a media image

credit to him for what he has done with the australia zoo, have a look if you get a chance

Road kill revival.....

The one thing I learned about Australia from this forum is you guys have an over population Roo problem...We Americans hit the over populated deers on the roads sometimes in our cars and trucks and you guys hit Roo's in yours.. I personally have almost hit a family of deer as they freeze in your head lights...Very scary when it happens as Bambi can get very big, heavy and unforgiving when hit.......

The deers will smash the front end of your car and sometimes take you out too, but usually it's over in hurry, now if you hit a roo and it goes thru the windshield and into the car with ya, it is my understanding that the little monster begins to thrash and slash with it's long back claws... This quickly becomes a horror story in the making...:yikes:

I had always thought the kangaroo's to be a peaceful little beast of an animal, I also thought it could throw a right or a left hook, via the boxing style with ya as shown in our American cartoons......Not the case at all...Corner one of those full grown little bastards and it's over from what I've been told.....:crazy:

Is this correct in my assessment of the Aussie Roo's? Please correct me if I am wrong..

In Canada I heard they hit Moose, I don't even want to try and describe that...:tapedshut:

Cant beat a good roo staek, very lean meat but don't over cook it.

When male kangaroos fight, they may appear to be 'boxing'. They usually stand up on their hind limbs and attempt to push their opponent off balance by jabbing him or locking forearms. If the fight escalates, they will begin to kick each other. Using their tail to support their weight, they deliver kicks with their powerful hind legs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Kangaroo

Is this correct in my assessment of the Aussie Roo's? Please correct me if I am wrong..
A grown Roo can kill a human up to the size of a normal teenager by "boxing" it. They'll lean back on their tail and rip your stomach open with their hind feet while clawing at your face with their "hands". I have quite a few on my 100 acres (40 hectares) and have seen a few fight to the death.

Roo steak is beautiful meat cooked properly, never eat it even slightly raw, gotta cook it to kill the wrigglies. Water Buff steak is better, but you have to cook it properly to for the same reasons.

Go to Darwin and have a beer, all 2 litres of it (1/2 an American Gallon). Used to be 2.25 litres or something like that but they downsized it. Legend has it that until former Australian PM Bob Hawke got the record for the fastest Darwin Stubby skull it was held by a Water Buff with some stupid pet name.

I could comment on my fellow Aussies from different states but I don't want to start a civil war. Needless to say if the comment about 1500 Southerners moving to Queensland each week is correct then the southern states would be empty by now. Go figure what state cant do their maths.

WOW, there is a whole science behind the Australian Kangaroo....Thanks for the info. and feedback....Kangarooo is good eating too you say, wow, I never thought you could eat one and like it? Let me guess it tastes like Chicken.....

Well here in the States we got all kinds of critters and guess what we eat them all on occasion...We eat our deer, squirl, rabbit, and even rattle snakes and frog legs..... I have tried them all and like the snake meat the best when it is cooked right......Rabbit isn't too shabby either but there's not enough meat to get your fill.....Never liked deer meat either... Frog legs tastes like chicken...

Having a brew as a chaser with all these meats is always a good idea...