HELP Steer me away from a Chevy LSx

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

boXXer

Hi all! iv'e been reading quite heavily into running a early non vvti 1UZ in a ford capri, but with some forced induction.

I was looking at these "bullet" supercharger kits, and wondered what they work like? What sort of power would you see with mildy ported heads and 9psi of boost?

Is it ok to run 9psi on a std engine?

im thinking of going aftermarket ECU with a home built loom, so mapping will be needed anyhow.

Any pointers for this engine?

HELP STEER ME AWAY FROM A CHEVY LSx PLEASE! I SEE THEY CAN MAKE 500HP ON A CARBURETTOR!!!

Thanks!

Points against the LSx:

1. Based on the most mass produced engine ever made

2. Everybody and their dog's lawnmower has one

3. Only 1 cam and it's in the wrong place

4. Only 16 valves? Puhhhllease :)

Points for the 1UZ

1. Exclusivity

2. 4 cams

3. 32 valves

Tough to make big power from a 1UZ cheaply; that's the LSx's strong suit. In the $/HP competition it's the LSx and then everybody else.

I'm going to have to say yes. But it just depends o nthe quality of the setup.

I'm looking at it this way i can buy a new 1uz for less than £300. I might get a spare. From the people I've spoke to the bottom is pretty solid the head could do with some work. I plan to see what will happen running say 18psi of boost single or twin turbo just going to change the head gaskets to lower the compression.

Then slowly try and improve it and save for a v160 gearbox :D

The bullet supercharger kit is way too expesive if you ask me you could get a decent setup with good gains from a procharger or vortech and still be under 5k.

The 1uz will handle that kind of abuse.

Just my .02

boXXer, welcome, you have come to the right place.

Mr. Cribb above is an outstanding member and contributor and Ferrari owner/sometimes driver :p ...
.... but... is he "compelled" to "hate" anything resembling classic American V8's.
John, in all fairness, the LSx shares virtually nothing with the original SBC or "mouse" and in fact is a modern engine that just happens to have 1 camshaft and 16 valves. That said compare the airflow available through even stock LS1 heads... not even looking at ported or LS3 or LS7 or LS(race) heads... compare the power available on some of these engine combined with 6 bolt mains, aluminum block and heads (OEM) as well as delivered and potential displacement relative to external dimensions and... well... nothing to sneeze at.

Ok, so the LSx is a viable (but pricey) option. That said the PRICE of an early (1990-1994) 1UZFE is a STEAL!!! Combined with a basic (even homemade) single turbo and you have EXCELLENT POWER on the cheap. Throw in the DOHC and 32 valve arrangement to impress Ferrari owners... :p

For OUTSTANDING direction on making serious power out of a completely stock engine you need to review the very long thread by member JustenGT8
How does over 400rwkW/535+rwHP sound on stock block, rods, pistons, heads, valves, cams...
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1140
How about twin turbo AND supercharged???
You need to jump down to post #9 by justengt4 who changes later in the thread to JustenGT8
front.jpg

For even MORE power...
Check out member Fopar. He drives what you WANT to drive... a 1000hp 1UZFE Capri... yes... really.
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13376&highlight=fopar
tcs3072.jpg

Mr. Cribb above is an outstanding member and contributor and Ferrari owner/sometimes driver :p ...
.... but... is he "compelled" to "hate" anything resembling classic American V8's.
John, in all fairness, the LSx shares virtually nothing with the original SBC or "mouse" and in fact is a modern engine that just happens to have 1 camshaft and 16 valves.

Guilty as charged :)

John & I enjoy our little discussions every year or so about what constitutes a "proper" modern engine, and it's true, I'm not a big fan of cam-in-block engines, where he is. I think John enjoys dabbling with nearly anything that's spark ignited, while I can't be bothered unless it has overhead cams.

LOL at some of the replies. Nice to meet you all :)

I should have said, im looking for about 400hp if its doable???

I bought a nice (too nice to break really!) LS400 yesterday, early model (93), so ive done the deed now and gone 1UZ route.

Next question, to supercharge (£4k+), OR, to go throttle Bodies, Cams, ECU etc for the same sort of price???

Are there any links to power graphs from either conversion? Would you go forced induction or N/A? I dont wanna go Turbo route though.

Thanks for all your input so far guys :)

Last edited:
there is a guy on here makes supercharger manifolds for roughly 900 dollars delivered, im looking at getting one, maybe he will give a group buy.
Or you can do your own single turbo conversion, its relatively easy, mine is nearly done and has cost me less than 1k

400hp on a 1uz is a lot of money to invest man, a decent supercharger setup will run you roughly 2-3k for a basic bare minimum setup and turbocharging is 3.5k+

And what sort of power would you see from a 1UZ with a charger,mild ported heads, cams, and a decent manifold/exhaust system with aftermarket ECU? Cant seem to find ANY power figures whatsoever.

Starting to lose interest in the 1UZ now. seems so hard to tune compared to LSx's

This engine has seen 600hp on stock bottom and heads this engine has a lot of potential all it is that restricts a bit is tuning but if your willing to get those mods you'll definitely want to go with a full standalone.

Stick to it the 1uz is unique and bad ass engine and you'll be catching people off guard when they figure out its a toyota.

But like I said stick with it me personally am collecting parts for my sc its getting a 2uz bottom with 1uz heads, and a Paxton novi 2000 blower that right there is a deadly combo in itself.

Toyota v8's all day!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, been reading more into turbo conversions now.....

Seems to be a LOT easier to see 400hp on a little Single T34 turbo, running about 10psi boost.

Why do the supercharger kits only run upto 10psi? Bullet do a few but they all seem to see a max of 350hp???

am i missing something here?

Have a read thru my thread. I have done TT, SC and both together. All were fun but TT is the cheapest and most eff power. A single T would be cheaper/simpler again.

After saying all that and have a 400=RWKW UZ on the street....if i started from scratch i'd go LSx no question.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, been reading more into turbo conversions now.....

Seems to be a LOT easier to see 400hp on a little Single T34 turbo, running about 10psi boost.

Why do the supercharger kits only run upto 10psi? Bullet do a few but they all seem to see a max of 350hp???

am i missing something here?

Bullet uses a root style supercharger what I'm talking about a Centrifugal supercharger.

Justen a TT setup would be a bit more difficult and expensive unless you can fabricate your manifolds an I/C piping plus all the other misc shit will add up quick.

Even though I prefer a turbo, for ease and cost efficient power a centrifugal supercharger is the best option. Reason being that you could run 6psi w/o an intercooler, no need to figure out how to route your exhaust, and most importantly no need to tap your oil pan for return feed with a self lubricated head unit such as a procharger.