Search results

1. R

High Compression

I was going to say, the nice thing about high compression is the decreased tendency to detonate, as I think Laine will attest to. It provides a sort of "artificial quench." Now before you guys jump on me and say that it makes no sense, obviously you'll have to run lower timing to achieve a...
  2. R

High revs, High comp suggestions?

I would think the stock intake manifold probably isn't up to the demands of that kind of engine. Also, I would think with the stock stroke, you're looking at more of a 9000-rpm engine when all is said and done, in the N/A arena. If you're looking for an 8000-rpm peak, I think more stroke is...
  3. R

Lexus racing intake...

I think you should check out LA Sleeve. They should be able to help you with overboring. To give a quick number, I think you should be able to get away with at least 98mm bore. Not to mention, the crank uses 52mm journals. You should look into offset grinding it to the Honda rod journal size...
  4. R

Destroking

The rod journals of the 1UZ are so huge that you could probably offset grind them without affecting crank strength, surely at least in an N/A application. They are 3mm larger than the standard Honda journal size, so right there you could move the stroke +-6mm. It might make sense to destroke...
  5. R

1UR Engine

Instead of having main caps and an oil pan, the entire bottom half of the block is another piece. The new Honda K-series engines are this way as well, and it's a very strong design. Kind of like a main girdle on crack. I agree though, direct injection is too new to have any fun with on the...
  6. R

can you fit 2UZ pistons in a 3UZ?

IMO, since sleeves aren't the most expensive thing in the world, you should just get a set and sleeve a 1UZ block. 3UZ's are much harder and more expensive to come buy. You'd probably actually save money sleeving the 1UZ than buying a 3UZ (then again, maybe not, but it'd still probably be close).
  7. R

can you fit 2UZ pistons in a 3UZ?

The problem is not the wall thickness, it's the sleeve thickness. The stock sleeves are a certain diameter, not much thicker than the bore itself. There is still aluminum meat between the cylinder sleeves. The maximum outer diameter sleeve size will have the steel sleeves touching each other...
  8. R

Chevy SBC Physical Dimension Vs. 1UZ

From what I understand, the only real problem they had with those engines were the cam gears. They had a tendency to rotate freely with respect to the cams themselves. Not too difficult a fix... Also, they do have SOME aftermarket support... not much. Probably not as much as the 1UZ, and as...
  9. R

Ball Bearing Vs. Sleeve Bearing

A guy once posted a video of his ball-bearing turbo spinning down after the engine shut off. It was literally spinning well over a minute before it stopped, it was incredible. The big benefit from ball-bearing CHRA's is spooling between shifts. It's much reduced over standard journal...
  10. R

Window Washer Water Injection

I used the windshield washer setup on my DSM. I just used one of the washer nozzles. A mist would've been better, but for the cost (free), the benefit couldn't be beat. It did make a big difference when the IC got heatsoaked. I would NOT use the system, even with a fine nozzle, spraying into...
  11. R

Electric Superchargers?

http://www.boosthead.com/home.php The only REAL electric supercharger (more of an electric turbo now, though).
  12. R

8 Throttle Body Intake

Looks very nice. Now I've got a question: with a plenum, once air gets flowing, the runner length would have less effect on power (at least at WOT) than it would with an individual setup? In other words, obviously we're severely limited for runner length tuning with this engine, so would...
  13. R

1UZ vs. 3UZ Heads (Worked ie: Ported)

The characteristics of intake charge versus exhaust charge are monumentally different. There is a reason the valves are different sizes from the factory.
  14. R

Cylinder sleeves

You could offset grind the cam down to a Honda 48mm rod journal (common nascar rod journal dimension), giving you 8mm less stroke. If I did my math correctly, that'll give you about 3.6L. I'd do this and then get a smaller sleeve. LA Sleeve probably has a shelf set that you could use for...
  15. R

some really useful secrets

The links have an extra "http//" in them, notice no colon. So if you delete the first "http://" then it might not work for you.
  16. R

1uzfe + Offspring

I like you. Very sensible, and nice vids too.
  17. R

500 rwhp Supra Vs. 500 rwhp SC400

I think you all are forgetting about gearing. Really, you could take a 1500+ hp 2JZ and pit it against a 400-hp 1uz and have the 1uz win, if the 2JZ had really horrible gearing. LOL! I'm sorry, I don't know why but I got such a kick out of reading that post. Gotta love it when you get brain...
  18. R

5.8 Liter 500 bhp Lexus (N/A)?

I'm sorry, I don't see what you mean. Devcon is basically the equivalent of welding up the head...
  19. R

Any 240z's with 1uzfe?

I want to stick a 1UZ in just about every car I see. I'm sorry, I really don't have anything useful to add to this thread (I will say though that I'd love to see a 1UZ 240Z because it's a great idea... and now I want one too).
  20. R

5.8 Liter 500 bhp Lexus (N/A)?

One more question, I'm assuming Kelford can pretty much grind any profile right? Or are they limited to "shelf" applications?