Whirring sound coming from drivetrain.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

miwise

Alright,
I've been having this problem with my 96 sc400 with 217500 miles on it and I was hoping someone could shine some light on the subject for me. When I'm going less than 30 mph there is this whirring sound that decreases in frequency the slower I go. I can feel the sound through the steering wheel and in the floor board. It's very annoying and I think it is offering some resistance to the car b/c the longer I drive the car, the worse the sound gets. When the sound gets bad, the car has some trouble rolling. I have to give it some gas just to get it moving on a flat surface (it may creep a bit, but not like normal). I had the bearings checked out at two places and they said that they are all good. I'm thinking its somewhere in the drivetrain, but I'm not sure and no one seems to know. One person said it was the tires, but I don't think the tires would actually make the car stop rolling easily at an idle. It may be the tires, but I still think something else is going on. I just don't know how to diagnose the problem. The tires have a lot of tread left on them, so I don't want to replace them. They have been rotated and the sound is still there. One thing I did notice was that the edge of the tires have a serrated look to them. Maybe it is the tires and maybe these slight serration of the edges are causing the sound. I don't think it is, but has anyone else ever had this problem? Like I said. It is a low pitched whirring sound and its almost as if I can feel gears meshing together at a slow speed idle in drive. The motor revs freely in park.

Drivetrain noise

Hey there:
I have a '93 SC400 and it makes a whirring sound on deceleration sometimes, and seems to be harder to move backward than foreward. Upon inspection I discovered a very worn out front drive shaft damper I guess you call it (a rubber coupler of sorts) that mates the driveshaft to the transmission. To this date I havent changed it nor been able to located a new one. Hope this info helps

Attachments

• more van 200506 033.jpg
    more van 200506 033.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 43
  • more van 200506 031.jpg
    more van 200506 031.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 31
  • more van 200506 039.jpg
    more van 200506 039.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 26