Which gearbox??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

goldy

Hello all

I have had a quick flick through related threads but haven't found anything of relevance.

I am planning to implant a 1UZ-FE into my 1998 model Prado (Aussie Landcruiser 90 series). It has at the moment the 2.7 litre petrol motor (3RZ-FE) and a 5 speed manual gearbox (W56).

I have been toying with the idea that when I source a half cut should I install the auto transmission as well or stick with the W56 box and get a bellhousing to suit from CRS or Dellows. The problem obviously with the 1UZ-FE connected auto box is adapting it to suit the transfer case, however having a slush box would help to win the missus over on the whole swap.

Any comments guys??????

Cheers
Goldy

The simplest solution is to consider the Toyota A340 transmisson with VF2A Transfer case that comes out in the Surf's etc... You'll find these trannies in a number of different vehicles... Including the Lexus itself only the surf variety has the transfer case mounted to the extension housing...

In this instance you could source one of these trannies and the bellhousing from the 1UZFE auto will bolt straight onto the Surf type trannie and needs no adapters etc.

If you take up this option, I highly recommend you budget for a Trannie cooler too as the life of your trannie can be dramatically affected by your trans fluid temps.

Look through a few threads and you will see that this conversion has been done successfully. You might want to scope out a few threads in the outerlimits forum to as there has been a few piece by piece conversions posted up there that also talk about a coupla short falls of the trannie to.

Good luck!!!

Shuey

Bellhousing

Have a look at www.1uzquadcam.co.nz if your looking for a bellhousing to a w series box

Shuey said:
The simplest solution is to consider the Toyota A340 transmisson with VF2A Transfer case that comes out in the Surf's etc... You'll find these trannies in a number of different vehicles... Including the Lexus itself only the surf variety has the transfer case mounted to the extension housing...

In this instance you could source one of these trannies and the bellhousing from the 1UZFE auto will bolt straight onto the Surf type trannie and needs no adapters etc.

If you take up this option, I highly recommend you budget for a Trannie cooler too as the life of your trannie can be dramatically affected by your trans fluid temps.

Look through a few threads and you will see that this conversion has been done successfully. You might want to scope out a few threads in the outerlimits forum to as there has been a few piece by piece conversions posted up there that also talk about a coupla short falls of the trannie to.

Good luck!!!

Shuey

Thanks for replying Shuey and Tmiller,

I haven't really fleshed out the intricacies of using the auto, like physical placement, adaptor boxes, where the shifter will end up in the cab, propshaft lengths etc.

From what I understand the W56 will handle the extra bits and pieces that the 1uzfe will dish out as long as I don't drive it like I stole it, in which case the front diff will probably self implode anyway.

For us and what we are after, the auto is shaping up to be a better option as long as I can get my head around all of the details associated with the install.

I'm an engineer so I tend to be a bit anal in the details.

Cheers

Ian

I wouldn't be to sure about the W56 holding up to a 1uz and 4wd.
If its only as strong as the 2wd W58 box, then I'd be driving it carefully.

However, CRS and Dellow both do bellhousings for the W58 box, so get one of them.

Also look into using the R151F box (4wd version of the R154). Its much stronger and will hold to a fair amount of abuse.

Goldy,

I noticed you're fitting the engine to a 1998 Prado.

It may be worth checking with the RTA on what year model engine you must use.

I know you will need to meet the emissions for the 1998 year which may restrict which year model engine you can use.

Peewee

The info I have from an engineer here in Newcastle is that the emission controls need to be the same if not better than my current setup. This doen't necessarily mean that I have to put in a later model motor. If I can prove that a 1993 model Crown or LS400 motor (for example) has the same if not better emission control gear attached to it, then I'm sweet. The whole deal with having to put in a later model motor is not entirely correct. It may be if you were putting an australian model motor in, but these motors are imports, so emission controls are different than here.

The more knowledgeable can correct my heresy if I'm way off the mark, but this is what was relayed to me from the engineer (who is still checking the idea, seems to be overly worried about the existing brake setup).

Cheers
Ian

Mind you

If I could find a 98 on halfcut with a VVTI 1UZ-FE for less than 3 grand I'd be doing the later model unit for sure.......

But I don't think that will be happening any time soon.....

Cheers
Ian

Before you go ahead with anything, call the RTA.
Anything the RTA says overrules what an engineer says, and I'm yet to hear anyway say you can put a motor in thats older than the car, especially in NSW and/or VIC.

Give the RTA a call, get their point of view.

Goldy,

Peewee has a good suggestion there.

I'd be inclined to get the emissions figures for the 6 and the 8 and supply them to the RTA in an email and get a response in writing.

Once the RTA give it to you the'll be hard pressed going back.

I think Goldy is right in that they expect the engine to be younger (to stop people putting dirty old V8's in new cars) but if the new engine matches/exceeds the engine being replaced it makes sense it should pass.

yes, goldy has it right.

the engine doesnt actually have to be newer then the model of the car, the RTA simply gives out that impression to make it easier.

the engine simply has to pass the emission for the year of manufacture.

which should be no problem with the 1uz. infact, the 1uz is one of the very few engines that passes the new emissions that have been brought in the start of this year.

they dont have any way to tell the age of the motor anyways, only the info YOU tell them, as long as its efi, with cat and canister they seem to be fine with it, at least here in WA, I really want to do the prado thing too after doing my 98 lux, I am in proccess of doing a 98 4wd hilux for a mate but I had to buy 2 front cuts to get cheaper freight, gee what a shame, so I have a sparey, hope to see some pics when you start

If they really want to, they can take the engine number and call Toyota.
With that engine number they can find out which car it was originally installed in and what emmisions it originally came with.

Highly unlikely they'd do that, but its possible.

There's a trend in NSW to ask for the IZ240 test to be carried out by an RTA approved station. There are two stations in Sydney.

The test involved driving your car on a small dyno for 4 minutes (the 240 part) and following a set of prompts that simulate suburban driving in LA in the early 70's.

You must remain very close to the prompts or you fail. It involves starting, stopping, accelarating and braking according to the computers instructions. if you stray from the prompts too far the car fails and has to resit the test.

Whilst all this driving is going on the probe up the exhaust is quietly vetting what's going on.

You can't fool this test and it's only a matter of time before it's applied to all modified cars.

Didnt think toyota could tell that info from imported motor? that info even on the net seems to be a guess from gathered facts of many. Zuff , that is the standard smog test isnt it? thats what you need to tranfer rego in cali, I had to get that for a car I had while on hols there so I could transfer title, pretty good idea in some ways, it got rid of a lot of clunkers but also a lot of nice modified cars, I wouldnt think it would be hard for standard 1uz to pass, my vw passed it over there an it had 160k miles on orig motor, just had to retard timing a sniff.

I can guarentee you Toyota has the vin number written down and what engine number went into what car.
From the vin number you know where the car went, therefore what emmisions it has.

Hi-lex,

The 1UZ does pass the current regs.

But it must be in good nick. It would need decent o2 sensors as they will let it down if on the way out. Cat converters must also be good or the nasties will be picked up and you'll fail.

Also EPA can make you run the stock airbox, for noise polution.