What's the record for an NA 1UZ std cams

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ivan129

BlownZX
OK, A 1UZFE, (Non VVTI) Normallay aspirated, std rods / pistons, std cams, auto...what's the most grunt anyone has ever got from one? My engine is a fresh rebuild, mild head port work, heavy valve springs 80lb, Coil On Plug, V500 ECU, larger injectors, tubular 1.58" long primary pipes into a 3" collectors (4 into 1's) and twin 2.25" system. I'm looking for 300rwhp but am a little away from that at the moment. Do I have to go for modified cams or is what I'm chasing within my reach? I know there is a few more hp that could be unleashed once I open up the manifold and plenum. Comments and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
The VVTi heads flow similar to some of the ported earlier heads and the intake manifold is way better. No one has ran them on an early block yet as it would require an oil feed to the VVTi mechanism and this is done through the deck on stock engines. The VVTi also has higher compression and better cams with I believe more lift. Rock-a-lex over at CL has dyno'd around 270rwhp on stock everything except shorty headers and a tune.

RMS member here ran early engine, Tokyo taxi cab engine, ITBs and racing long tube headers with a stand alone and made 307hp crank on the stock cams at 6500rpm. Stock ports, springs, valves.

270rwhp ?

Hi mr brady... 270rwhp from a near stock VVTI ?... thats pretty good...
I dyno'd my '98 LS VVTi and i pulled 209rwhp..... what would the differences be do you think ?

BTW: Can you surgest anyone who can supply 4-2-1 headers for a '98 LS400 ?

....... 270rwhp is heaps good, am i able to email these guys ?

:)

Cop ?

OK, A 1UZFE, Normallay aspirated, std rods / pistons, std cams, auto...what the most grunt anyone has ever go from one? My engine is a fresh rebuild, mild head port work, heavy valve springs, COP, V500 ECU, larger injectors, tubular 1.58" long primary pipes into a 3" collector and twin 2.25" system. I'm looking for 300rwhp but am a little away from that at the moment. Do I have to go for cams or is what I'm chasing within my reach? I know there is a few more hp that could be unleashed once I open up the manifold and plenum. Comments and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

.. What is COP ?

Hi mr brady... 270rwhp from a near stock VVTI ?... thats pretty good...
I dyno'd my '98 LS VVTi and i pulled 209rwhp..... what would the differences be do you think ?

BTW: Can you surgest anyone who can supply 4-2-1 headers for a '98 LS400 ?

....... 270rwhp is heaps good, am i able to email these guys ?

:)

Actually his highest numbers were 281rwhp and 306rwtq
Here is his thread
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/501992-5-15-10-dyno-results.html

Headers were largely my design made by S&S headers who is no longer in business. They were tri-Y shorties that mounted the catalyst in the stock location and used the stock Y pipe. The headers used 1.5" OD tubing on the primaries, 1.75" secondaries (with merge collectors in the first Ys) and a 2.5" collector using a formed 2-1 collector. I wanted 2.25" collectors but for some reason Mr. Loren Barnes (owner/fabricator S&S) did not think he could make that work. Honestly I would like 1.625 secondaries with 2.25" merge collector final. I had them use 1.625" holes in the flange and swage the 1.5" to fit as to avoid any possible overlap due to alignment. This also creates a bit of a A/R lip. These were NOT optimized and were in fact created by Loren by using the factory heatshields as a guide and he never had a car or engine to work with only my input, a set of stock manifolds and heatshields. This is why a couple of the runners were "cheated". An on tangent exit tube and making use of more of the real available space would have been a good option but still these were WAY better than any option that kept the stock catalysts for years.

Your VVTi LS400 sounds a bit weak. Could be fuel quality and or driving style prior to dyno. Mine made better times than any stock GS400 or GS430 I have seen and they usually dyno 235rwhp stock.

The interesting thing is that Erol (RMS) was able to make 306hp engine dyno with an early engine running ITB and racing headers. Stock heads, valves, springs. HP peak was at 6500rpm. The VVTi has better valve timing and better heads. Seems like 6500rpm maybe 6800rpm may be the cams real peak stock. I would definitely upgrade the rods before going to higher RPMs which would require a standalone ECU as the stock fuel cut is at 6350.

Optimized head ports with the above is probably good for high 300s engine dyno. Stock is 300hp (GS400) with the automatic trans and stock drivetrain pulling 65hp giving typical 235rwhp. That 281rwhp is at least 346 and probably a touch more and under 6300rpm. Higher revs plus PROPERLY ported heads and stand alone should add 10-30hp to that. Optimize piston shape and increase compression to say 11-1 or so... add a little more cam... maybe a bigger throttle body (not sure if these pull any vacuum at WOT... and 400hp engine is not unthinkable on a very stock running engine.

Attachments

• Headers 011.jpg
    Headers 011.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Headers 014.jpg
    Headers 014.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Headers 015.jpg
    Headers 015.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The GS400 and LS400 VVTi engines are identical as is the drivetrain. The manifolds are the same design but the LS are slighly longer. The LS exhaust is more restrictive with the stock Y pipe necking down from 60mm center pipe to 55mm center resonator and then baffled mufflers mid car vs the GS with 60mm center resonator and twin 55mm straight throw resonators mid car. The GS is rated 300hp/310tq at 6000rpm/4000rpm and the LS is rated 290hp/300tq also at 6000/4000