US Available Brake booster for Mk3

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Wiisass

I know this has come up a couple times and people keep just saying to use a Hilux brake booster, but has anyone in the US found something commonly available here that will work? I'm not against doing any fab work to fit a different master, but if there's something that easily bolts up that will fit with the motor up against the firewall and can be found in parts stores/junkyards pretty easily here, that would be awesome.

So does anyone have any info?

Tim

hilux is the same thing as the toyota pickup i used a 86 toyota pickup 4cyl booster, it goes in upside down and works great but its very close. about 2mm clearance. it it requires takeing off the valve cover to put it on. or put it on before the motor goes in.

ive been driving my 1uz supra to and from work for about a month now with no problems.

Nice, I'll have to give that a shot. Which direction is the clearance? And how close is your motor to the firewall?

Like Jake stated, clearance is tight. It probably easier to install the booster after the motor is in.

Clearance to the firewall is very tight also, but everything clears. The motor has no room to move forward unless you were to notch the subframe to allow for more clearance to the oil pan. The way that I designed built the mounts that Jake and a few others are using keeps the tranny in its stock location thus allowing the use of the stock trans mount and driveshaft and allows for roughly 1/4" clearance at the tightest spots to the firewall and subframe alike.

I used my stock MK3 booster. I put a small dent in the wright spot and have had no problems. Its more of a problem with right hand drive cars as the right bank on the engine sits closer to the fire wall then the left side. Us left hand drive people can get away with the stock booster.

redrocco, im curious also about seeing a picture of your car and motor to booster clearance.

There is a significant differance between the truck booster that jake is using and the stock unit and Jakes just barely clears and there isn't any room to move the motor forward any that I can see.

Please explain the details about your car and swap like other mods to install the motor, tranny and driveshaft being used, ect......

Oh and just a side note, although the right bank of cylinders is set back 21mm's, the way the heads are designed, the front and rear of the heads are at the same distance i.e., they are not offset or staggered as you would think and thus the problem is the same for both right and left hand drive cars. What can be more of a problem with right hand drive cars is the clutch master cylinder for manual trans cars, it is inboard i.e., closer to the motor where as left had drives they are outboard.

Side note: not to change topic or threadjack here, but for anyone reading this with a right hand drive A70 post 89 (i.e., JZA70) my mounts that I build work on those cars too as tested and being used by PeeWee (Andrew, an Ausie member on this forum).

redrocco, im curious also about seeing a picture of your car and motor to booster clearance.

Please explain the details about your car and swap like other mods to install the motor, tranny and driveshaft being used, ect......

If I recall correctly I am running a similar setup as Redrocco (got some of the information for my build from him over the phone, thanks Redrocco!). R154 tranny mounted in stock location (although he may have used the W58 bracket...not sure that makes a difference), 1JZ bell housing, bebop's adapter plate, SuperRunner's flywheel, F1 Racing stage III clutch kit, and then his own custom mounts which he post pics of a couple of weeks ago.

Its a lot easier and cheaper to modify the cam cover than to change the booster.

I'll post a pic of my cam cover when I pick it up in a couple of weeks.
But it will be very similar to what i did in my Cressida.

brake_booster_3.jpg

brake_booster_4.jpg

Hear are 2 pics of the small dent in my booster. It was not hard to do (2" socket + 3/4 drive extension + big hammer) but you must be carefull not to dent it to much or you may hurt it.