urgent help needed! white smoke and very high fuel consumption

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mr2crazybyong

guys,

i need help, i've been driving around, everything was normal until the car started to stutter like a cylinder was not firing plus rough idle then heavy white smoke coming from the exhaust. and very high fuel consumption, 10L in just a few minutes of driving.. what could be the problem guys? there is a japanese warning message saying i have an engine electrical problem, i tried to get the code by jumpering the diagnostic port but only the O/D light keeps on blinking steadily without any pattern. I have a japanese soarer. i really need help urgent since i am not in my home town. i couldn't drive home like this. thanks guys.

could this be the coils? [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]how do you check if the coils are bad? i checked for spark at both coils and they sparked good.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]been switching the coils to spare ones and they seem to be ok.. i think the injectors are clogged up. could this be the cause? ill be popping them out tomorrow to clean them.. i hope this is the cause..[/FONT]

guys,

i need help, i've been driving around, everything was normal until the car started to stutter like a cylinder was not firing plus rough idle then heavy white smoke coming from the exhaust. and very high fuel consumption, 10L in just a few minutes of driving.. what could be the problem guys? there is a japanese warning message saying i have an engine electrical problem, i tried to get the code by jumpering the diagnostic port but only the O/D light keeps on blinking steadily without any pattern. I have a japanese soarer. i really need help urgent since i am not in my home town. i couldn't drive home like this. thanks guys.
White smoke usually means the coolant was vaporizing. I don't think it's the head gasket leaking, but it could be. Take out all the spark plugs and inspect them. They should be dry and clean. Is there any strong fuel smell? How's the temperature gauge?

yes the smoke smells like gas.. engine temperature is normal.. when i took out the plugs, two where wet with fuel..
Lucky you. No one smoked near your muffer...:( That means you don't have sparks in those 2 cylinders. Check for the sparks from those 2 sparkplug wires and check the coil for that cylinder bank.

question guys: when you turn on the ignition without starting the car, does the injector of cylinder 3 open? because i tested mine it was open and i think injector #5 was open too while injector #1 remained closed.. i could hear them click open by disconnecting then reconnecting the injector plug.. if it should be closed, does this mean i have a faulty ECU?

I have the exact same problem. I'm guessing either no spark or a sticking fuel injector. I'm leaning toward the injector because of the excessive consumption of fuel.

question guys: when you turn on the ignition without starting the car, does the injector of cylinder 3 open? because i tested mine it was open and i think injector #5 was open too while injector #1 remained closed.. i could hear them click open by disconnecting then reconnecting the injector plug.. if it should be closed, does this mean i have a faulty ECU?
The injectors should not be open if the car isn't starting. Let's say if they do, then the cylinders will be flooded with fuel while the engine isn't running. The ECU controls the injectors pulses. When the car first starts, the ECU will make the injectors injecting rich so the engine can start. Then the ECU will lean the injectors out accordingly. If your injectors open when the ignition is on at ACC and the car isn't running, then either the injectors are bad or the ECU is bad. I'd think the injectors are bad and they're stuck open all the time.

thanks guys.. thanks steve, i think it's the ECU because i tested a spare injector and it clicked open when i plugged it in while the ignition was on. i'll try to replace the caps in the ecu.. i hope this fixes it and don't have to buy another ecu..

see if you can jump for codes. I know on a SC I just worked on ran really rough, wouldn't rev past 4K. I tried to check codes and nothing. Swapped in known good ecu and it ran great after that.

Check the spark plug wires too. Just this even my friend called me the with the same problem. I checked the coils and they are ok and I was little puzzles. I double check again, but taking the plastic cover (LEFT) and noticed the coil wire was broken. I think you should check the followings:

* Coils
* Wires
* Spark Plugs
* Rotors
* Caps.

thanks lex, i got new plugs in, while the coils, caps, wires and rotors I switched around with some spares I had, although they were also old.. By the way, I am gonna order the tune up kit from you, minus the plugs since I already have new ones. You do ship international right?