unknown wires

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

tappet

Just getting familiar with my 1uz.
I was checking out the loom where it goes into the back of the motor for the starter.
There was the main starter lead, I am guessing two wires for the knock sensors, one for the solenoid, but there are two more in a clear insulation.
Its these two I am trying to figure out.
Any thoughts?

Which of the many 1uz looms do you have? Any chance the two in the clear insulation are the knock sensor wires and its the two others which you want to know about? Maybe one is yellow black? and maybe green yellow?

I just went out and checked the wires again. My bad.
The two wires I thought were connected to the Knock sensors are actually connected to the cold start injector. You maybe correct about the other two. But they are not connected to anything.
I will have to dig deeper and figure out what is going on. I will get back tomorrow evening and let you know how I went.
Thanks for that.

The wires are definitely for Knock sensors. They have clear insulation.
The pins from the ECU both have white wires coming out.
With the clear wires,unless I take the manifold off I cannot tell which wire goes to which side.
This may be a silly question. Can the pins on the ECU for Knock sensors go to either one of the sensors, or will I have to take the manifold off.

You could always wing it. You have a 50% chance of getting it right. I take the intakes off all the engines I prepare as I like to check the starter. Far easier to do it on the floor than when it's fitted.

I changed the plenum at an earlier stage to a front intake so I did not want to undo the manifolds again. When I did the swap everything looked OK.
Its not until I stripped the insulation on the harness that I found the knock sensor wires. As I mentioned they are in a clear insulation, and with some more digging I realise now they are not the factory wires. I remembered the plug on the r/h knock sensor had a chip in the top exposing a little wire so I was able to check continuity on the wires by slipping the probe in a gap in the manifold. Thus connected the correct sensor to the correct pin.

knock sensor earths/shielding I recon
My knock sensor wires are single core but this is not factory.
As I said earlier the two wires coming off the sensors are clear, but I can see now that they are just short pieces of inner core of earth shielding.
I will replace the wires with earth /shielding.
Could you give me some advice on the shielding wire, should it be earthed at the motor or ECU?

Last edited: