Tensioner Questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Toranamat69

How come I never see any of the cars from this forum in Canberra driving around? There are plenty of good projects on the go/finished in canberra and I drive my red Torana Hatch around all the time and have been to a couple of shows but have only met 1 person from this forum. I would love to catchup with some blokes and see their projects in the flesh. If you see a red Torana hatch with 17" dragways on it, wave me down and say g'day.

Toranamat69 said:
How come I never see any of the cars from this forum in Canberra driving around? There are plenty of good projects on the go/finished in canberra and I drive my red Torana Hatch around all the time and have been to a couple of shows but have only met 1 person from this forum. I would love to catchup with some blokes and see their projects in the flesh. If you see a red Torana hatch with 17" dragways on it, wave me down and say g'day.
Well, my Cressida for one "swans" around Canberra quite regularly. Mind you, it IS a Cressida and, apart from mags and lower ride height, doesn't exactly scream "look at me" (which is just the way we want it).

Next time you see a silver MX83 Cressida with mags, have a look at the front - it's the only one with a "V8 Quad Cam 32" badge on it. Oh, and it doesn't sound quite stock either... :)

Its hard to tell what a car has under the bonnet from the outside (unless of course the is a 6/71 hangin out). I do a lot of KMs around Canberra and you have probably seen my car. Its just a Fairlane with polished wheels that sits a bit low and a bit loud.
Lets have an ACT 1uzfe meet one day.

Justengt4 said:
Yeah it has to be that big to clear the spring. It's the same size as the original tensioner, might just look a little bigger in the pics??
V8Supra said:
It doesn't look big at all. What I was hinting at was you could just swap the idler for the tensioner. But I forgot about the spring.

call me noob but what spring are you guys talking about?! :D

how do i go about getting a similar custom pulley made up?
would any decent workshop be able to make/modify one for me?

The spring everyone is referring to is the spring inside the pulley. It keeps tension on the fan belt. if you use a 14mm spanner on the pulley it will move in a clockwise direction wen you apply force.

Having the spring inside the tensioner means it has to be rather large to accomodate it.

I think it would be possible to reduce the size of the pulley. But why bother it works and there is no benifit (performance wise) from changing it.

ahhh okies.... didnt think the actual pulley accomodated the tensionser spring.
get it now. :)

i'm doing it coz im not running power steering OR air-con OR the belt driven fan. ;)

If you want to remove the drive belt tensioner to put a new bearing in it is a left handed thread. So you will need to turn it clockwise to undo it. I learned this the hard way when doing a timing belt change. Ended up tightning it untill I cracked the thread housing. Had to get a whole new tensioner housing.

justen gt4
where did you end up sourcing the autronic rom are you happy with it?
you are right people would have never guessed that it was possible. or that any one would try it. nice car i was in dubbo the week after the Nat's not real good timing any updates on you progress thread has laid pretty quiet for a while now.