sc400 crossmember fabrication (for turbo)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jtjerry

Hi

I just saw that there is fabrication section :veryhappy
I making single sc400 turbo. Single Garrett GT 35 R ball bearing will be sitting in front of car between engine and radiator. There is too little space for it specially I want keep that hydraulic radiator fan still working. So radiator will be moved some inches to the front of vehicle and tilt some for hood clearances issues.

My set up will be familiar in pipes routing as that on single turbo gs400 (look at pic)

One difference will be in down pipe routing (on that gs400 picture it is marked yellow "exhaust".

it will be put on upper side passenger side exhaust manifold rather than as low as in that gs400.

In sc400 there is no place for it as on gs400 cause we have different front suspension set up.

Under front cross member was to little place to put two pipes from exhaust manifolds to front of car .
So stock alu cross member was machined to clear some space under car. I want full its strength so we welded alu plates as in pictures.
I made return fitting in oil pan too. it is placed in first (bigger) oil pan. we welded alu fitting to alu pan.
must say that removing cross member and bigger alu pan is pain in the a**.
text stage: relocate radiator more to front of the car (3-4 inches will be enough)
Two pipes from exhaust manifolds (55 mm) will be put under car (in each pipe will be Tial 38 mm wastegate) and meet together in front to turbo. down pipe 70 mm will be put on passenger side (just above stock right exhaust manifold). next 80mm single exhaust.
Jerry
some pics

I think you will end up with one well done steering rack.

You may be smart to plan on some heat shielding for the rack.

I believe the above setup is from Morris' GS400. The only concern i have on your setuup is the oil return. The SC400 is a rear sump and the your 1/2" plug might interfer with the crank pulley. Did u measure it before you weld it on?

that last picture (under car) is set up alredy was done on someone GS400. in my set up that pipes will be wrap and have heat shields.

oil return is welded more at passenger side (for strenght it is welded from outside and from inside too). It is already in my car just it had simple plug now. more on middle it will interfer with crank puley as you wrote. Turbo will be slight on passenger side too (say 10-15 cm off middle).
some pics...

hi lex probably will be first with both: turbo and manual :)
and stand alone aemems too.
trying find but probably aem ems for supra tt mk4 have same (phisically) ecu connector as my sc 400. I know some wires do not match and another ignition and so on ... but probably botch connectors for ecu (one 40 pins and another DOUBLED 40 pins) phisically are the same. Must be sure. it rather will be with UEGO too.

that's a LOOOOOONG path there between the exhaust ports and the turbo - and running under the car the pipe will act as a radiator and you will lose heat from your exhaust gas very fast.

less heat = less expansion = less force acting on the exhaust turbine.

you would be wise to eithe cermaic coat that pipe or thermally wrap it.

Attachments

• DV00039.jpg
    DV00039.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DV00064.jpg
    DV00064.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DV00059.jpg
    DV00059.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DV00066.jpg
    DV00066.jpg