Replacement for Displacement

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I was talking to JBrady few days ago. I have asked him about the 1uz vs. 3uz differences. Besides the heads, intake and cams (heads and up). The 3uz block is basically the same as the 1uz block with slightly larger bore. Due to the increase bore side on the 3uz (91.0 mm x 82.5mm), the cylinder sleeves are thinner than the 1uz (87.5 mm x 82.5mm). Only 3.5 mm bore difference between the two motors. However, this also means the 3uz motor has 3.5mm less on the cylinder sleeves. From that prespective, the 1uz is actually be for high boost application. Here is a 1990 LS400 1UZ spec.

Are you stating that before boring occurs, the cylinder liners for both motors are exactly the same, and after boring, the 3UZ simply has thinner liners? Wouldn't that make the 1UZ cylinder liner quite thick? I thought we determined in the piston grouup purchase that the 1UZ liners are quite thin, requiring a very small increase in piston size to do a safe over bore (.010").

Andrew,

This has nothing to do with the Group Purchase. However, due to thinner bore line on the 3uz, therefore its not a desireable block to do FI (High boost that is).

Yes, I understand it has nothing to do with the group purchase, but in that thread, I thought we found out the 1UZ liners were only 2mm thick with a standard 1UZ bore, and that's why we chose .010" overbore. How could the 3UZ liner be much thinner than that? If the 1UZ and 3UZ both start with the same liner (before boring) and the 1UZ liner is only 2mm thick, it would be impossible to bore another 3.5mm more to get 3UZ displacement (leaving a 0.25mm liner -not possible IMO).

Can someone clarify, what are the exact thicknes of the liners for 1UZ and 3UZ?

The maths says the 3UZ has larger external diamater liners than the 1UZ. Which means the holes in the block they're fitted to are bigger as well.

I don't see the 3UZ having thinner wall thickness ruling it out for FI. Toyota have over-engineered everything in this engine so I'd very surprised if there wasn't plenty of meat in those liners.

I can messure a cylider liner from a 1uzfe tonight. But I think that it is not more than 2mm thick. I will post later today with a messurement.

turboandrew said:
Yes, I understand it has nothing to do with the group purchase, but in that thread, I thought we found out the 1UZ liners were only 2mm thick with a standard 1UZ bore, and that's why we chose .010" overbore. How could the 3UZ liner be much thinner than that? If the 1UZ and 3UZ both start with the same liner (before boring) and the 1UZ liner is only 2mm thick, it would be impossible to bore another 3.5mm more to get 3UZ displacement (leaving a 0.25mm liner -not possible IMO).

Can someone clarify, what are the exact thicknes of the liners for 1UZ and 3UZ?

I did a bit of digging and this is what I think is the correct wall thickness:

1UZFE: cylinder liners is 2.0 mm thick

3UZFE. cylinder liners is 1.5 mm thick

Something is not right with the torque numbers in the 1UZ vs 3UZ chart. The 3UZ N m is probably right, but the Ft Lb is lower than the 1UZ. ?? Probably just a conversion whoops....