R154

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JtWo

I've been contemplating the 1UZ engine swap for my soon to be competition car, but I've searched a little and can't quite understand the problem with using the R154. My '88 is a turbo, so I'm already stuck with it. Why does the W58 seem less of a hassle to stick onto the 1UZ than the R154? I understand adapters need to be used, but what's the difference?

Is your car already a 5sp. or is it auto? If its already a 5 sp. stay with the R154. I there are a few changes that need to be made, but nothing that is a major issue. Talk to Phil Bradshaw, I think that he has an adapter to use the R154 and stock 1uz auto bellhousing.

Along with that, its easier to revert to the W58 style clutch being that it is a push style pressure plate where as the R154 used a pull style pressure plate. The clutch actuation is the easy part, no need for a fork or any thing of that nature. Just a particular Hydraulic release bearing that is pretty cheap from summit racing and just needs the bearing changed. Another easy task. I can fill you in on all that later if you do decide to go that route

w58s are a dime a dozen in salvage yards in the US. Plus some people tend to think that the r154 has more of a notchy feel while the w58 seems more "smooth". I'm not quite sure as I have an automatic.

The R154 is a little bigger than the W58 and can handle at least twice the amount of power being put out by the engine. I plan on using one for my swap. They are a little notchier especially with a short shifter installed to reduce the throws from gear to gear. Same thing happens on the W58 with short throw shifter too though.

-Dave

I'm not super sure what this is about.. but why not use the r154 with the 1uz? As far as power goes it's the way to go versus the w58. Anyway.
I'de go with the r154. You're building a supra right?.. I assume that you're building it for large power numbers.. and in that case.. I dunno.. seems like a natural choice to me.. but it's up to you..
I'm building something different.. get what you need for your application!
anyway.. hope this helps a little