Pressure testing headers

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

-Nemesis-

3 exhaust threads in one day :lmao:

What is the most simple home method of pressure testing headers for leaks that people have come up with?

Sealing the exhaust end is easy enough, but what about the head flange end?

Also, my cheap ass headers have a leak in between where the 4 pipes run parallel before the collector, no way to get any welder in there. Will there be any downsides to me gently welding the 4 pipes together? Like running a weld down between each pipe, then blanking the 4 off where they merge? So the crack only leaks into a sealed void.

How about making up an aluminium blanking plate that mates with all the bolt holes. If you have access to a milling machine, you could then machine o'ring grooves, otherwise, just use a wet paper gasket and bolt it up tight.

Brad.

Attachments

• 10speed600.jpg
    10speed600.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38
Thats an easy one,rip it down to radiator shop and get them to test them.Thats how i did mine,makes it easy though when i run a radiator shop.

Can I ask how they would do it?

I have a feeling any local radiator shops up here will look at me funny when I ask them to pressure test a device with 5 holes lol...

Using a screw in test plug,its a taper rubber bung with a fitting to put a air line on.I didnt test mine to any more than a few PSI as they are not really pressurised,mine leaked in a few spots,but wasnt stressed about it.

Otherwise a piece of flat bar drill to suit the flange with some rubber underneath.That will block all 4 holes and then even on could be made for the flange that bolts your cats on with a test fitting welded/solder in.

Ahh ok thanks mate. That second idea is what I had planned so far, making up a plate with a strip of conveyer belt between as a gasket.

All I did for mine was bolted the two header (left and right) together with a rubber gasket between them and made a cap for each exit end. I used fittings that I made to tread into the O2 sensor bungs that had a 1/4NPT female thread and one had a pressure gauge and the other a shop air fitting in it and pressurized them to 30psi and sprayed them Snoop, soapy water solution works well too..

With them bolted together at the head flanges kept me from having to make a blanking plate and allowed to check both headers at the same time. Just dont forget to cut holes in the gasket to allow air to go from one pipe into the other pipe that matchs it in the other header...