my 92 sc400 won't start

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

tpnotch420

I have a 92 sc400 and recently it died on me and I was not able to get it restarted. The engine does crank but it doesn't seem to be getting any fire. After doing some reseach on this sight I decided to check the fuel ecu but it seems to be working fine. After doing more research I started looking for a possible short and I found that the wire to the camshaft position sensor had been rubbing against the serpentine belt. So I seperated the wires and then put an ohm meter to both sensors and they seemed to test within the acceptable range.

so after testing I've found the ignition coils and high tension cord are within specs but the speed sensor is not within the specs So i'm wondering if this is enough to keep my car from starting. Upon further research I've found that the speed sensor is supose to detect the crank angle. So I'm wondering if this is actually the crankshaft position sensor

I've also checked the fuel ecu and the fuel pump and they both seem to be working. The engine seems to be getting fuel. When this fist started my original thought was that it's not getting fuel but now I'm starting to think that it's not getting any spark.

I'm kinda short on cash so I'm really trying to avoid taking it to the shop. I'd run the obd test but in trying to get it started I ran the battery down so I'm sure the codes have been erased.

If anyone has got any suggestions please share. I'd like to get some possible causes for the problem and how to test to see if part is good or bad
thanks in advance for your help

It sounds like your close....

In all my experience with these SC4's I have never seen this problem..If the ignition coil fails it's usually on one side of the engine so you would still see some firing going on... It really sounds like a short out some where...Electrical and sensors perhaps... If it's not the fuel it's got be the electrical...

Good luck...

Probably it is a spark or fuel problem, and possibly can be a dead battery. Try to start your car, and if you hear a cranking sound then it means the starter doesn't work. If your battery is two or three years older, then you have to replace it with new.

I thought if i heard a clicking sound that it was a problem with the starter. When i try to start it sounds like it's going to start but it doesn't actually fire up

Topnotch,

If the car sounds like it is cranking normally, just not starting, then there is nothing wrong with the starter. You are correct in assuming a starter/battery problem if all you are hearing is clicking. You said that you verified that you were getting fuel, but how did you test it? Even if the fuel pump is running, your fuel injectors may not be opening. Here's what I would do:
To check for a fuel issue:
1. Get a can of starting fluid (Ether)
2. Remove the air intake tube and spray a generous amount of starting fluid into the throttle body (holding the butterfly open so that the fluid gets into the manifold)
3. Try to start the car, if it starts or sputters or anything, then you are getting spark but no fuel.
4. You can also check for fuel pressure by releasing the schrader valve on the fuel rail (looks like a valve stem on a tire). Be careful not to spray gas in your eyes, because it could have about 40psi behind it.

To Check for spark:
1. Remove the distributor cover on the driver's side.
2. Remove one of the spark plug wires from the distributor.
3. While someone else tries to start the car, hold the spark plug wire about 1/2 inch from the distributor lead that you removed it from. If you get spark, then you don't have a spark issue. (Make sure you aren't touching any of the metal on the wire, or you might get a little jolt. :) You can also run this test with a test light, if you don't want to hold the spark plug wire.)

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Try to jump it, just go the easy way first. A clicking noise is usually a dead battery in my experience, however if you do jump it to another car (try a multi meter if it still clicks to make sure you're getting 14+V) and it doesn't start then i'd bet 99% on the starter, then again im just a hobbiest, so still look around

Try to jump it, just go the easy way first. A clicking noise is usually a dead battery in my experience, however if you do jump it to another car (try a multi meter if it still clicks to make sure you're getting 14+V) and it doesn't start then i'd bet 99% on the starter, then again im just a hobbiest, so still look around