Making One Serious Manifold Blanket...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

RedPhoenix

Much like all turbo setups, heat is a problem. With having all these runners all over the place and frame rails with nice paint on them that will take abuse... I am looking into a serious blanket for the manifolds. Not just some auto part store wrapping... Something like a turbo blanket, but for the manifolds...

I was looking into "Kaowool Ceramic Fiber Blanket 2300 1/4"x24"x20' 8# dens" wrapped over the bulk of the manifold... held down probably by some SS zip ties to something on the manifold flange or something (like a hook or a tab). Now I am pretty sure that stuff is like a mat or something where it will fall apart over time, so what can I enclose over the ceramic blanket to hold it all together? (like a kevlar cloth or something?).

And this could be over the manifolds already wrapped in Ceramic Insulation of some sort...

Any ideas?

Why not have your manifolds ceramic coated, then put high temp sleeving on them. Have a look at TechFlex.com or McMaster. One or the other should have a nice looking high temp sleeving that you can wrap then use SS zip ties on.

I 2nd ceramic coating...it does provide some performance benefits as well. Actually, it's a must if you are going to try and wrap or blanket them.

I'd do the coating and then just use some of the Ford heat shield panelling they use. Awesome stuff, easy to work with and will look alot tidier than a blanket.

I 2nd ceramic coating...it does provide some performance benefits as well. Actually, it's a must if you are going to try and wrap or blanket them.

I'd do the coating and then just use some of the Ford heat shield panelling they use. Awesome stuff, easy to work with and will look alot tidier than a blanket.

brakekitinstall_pic28b.jpg

assuming you mean that stuff, where can that be bought?

Cribbj are you talking about the slide over stuff? it needs to be a wrap around because of the design.

Ceramic coating will happen, I guess I had an idea that did not land lol.

brakekitinstall_pic28b.jpg

assuming you mean that stuff, where can that be bought?

Cribbj are you talking about the slide over stuff? it needs to be a wrap around because of the design.

Ceramic coating will happen, I guess I had an idea that did not land lol.

Yes that's pretty much the stuff and XR8TT has linked to the stuff i have bought.

We have a local supplier for Kevlar in various thicknesses. I usually make pads up of the 10mm stuff that actually touches the manifolds.
For small air gaps between manifolds and wiring etc, the 4mm thick stuff works brilliantly. You can have a 4mm blanket on a red hot turbine housing and hold your hand to the blanket for quite a few seconds which is unheard off with other blankets..

I've used the Kaowool thermal blanket on my turbo 7M. We use it to insulate kilns that run at 700 degrees C for hours at a time. A 100mm layer will keep the outside of the kiln at room temp.

i wrapped the stock 7M mani completely and covered it in stainless shields, and also wrapped the turbine and dump pipe completely but with no covers. After a long drive, holding the wool over the turbine was no problem, just felt warm, same as the wool on the manifold. The stainless over the wool on the manifold was touchable but only for a second or two as the heat soaked in them eventually. Underbonnet was cooler with the turbo and blankets than it was with the stock NA motor.

My brothers car had ceramic coated manifolds, after hearing all the hype about how good the ceramic coating is i thought i'd test it out in a similar fashion to mine.... lost my finger tips for a few days. He also had that ford stuff around his turbine housing and in his engine bay it was pretty much useless. Put some wool under the ford stuff and it made a noticable difference.

Couple of things about the wool...

1 - it's thick (where it gets its thermal mass over ceramic) so its a no go for tight spaces and can be hard to work with for things like manifolds where you need thin sections between pipes. I don't think I could make an effective blanket in the supra and my manifolds are similar to yours

2 - it holds a LOT of heat, so when you turn the car off and aren't moving air around any more you might need to watch the paint work anyway. I had an intake pipe covered and it went from cold straight after driving to hot a few minutes later.