Magnetic Oil Line??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

xirforever

Couldnt decide where to post this cuz this goes for any engine really... oh well.

Anyway i keep seeing these oil lines that supposedly have a magnet in them to catch small metal particles from your engine so they dont go back into it. Sounds like a good idea... but i always was under the impression that magnets lose their polarization with heat and hard impacts. Im pretty sure that the hot oil would damage the magnet therefor destroying the magnets polarization and meaning it would not work anymore... but i could always be wrong. Is it true that heat damages magnets? And if so have they come out with some new technology im not aware of? And if they do work, are they even worth it? Seems like an overkill to me as you do have an oil filter. But im open to new ideas. So what do you guys think?

You can buy a magnetic sleeve that fits over your oil filter to hold any iron fillings.

Many cars have magnetic drain plugs, I know Porsche 911's do and their oil gets so hot you could cook French Fry's in it! Lots of Front wheel drive English cars have them as well. Magnets don't lose the magnetism when hot.

Theoretically the mag on the filter works and I'v seen a lot of service people swear by them.

I notice these people mostly deal with old tech engines (read pushrod) which are probably inclined to wear away. If there was a need for a magnet I'm pretty sure Toyota would have put one on the drain plug as they would cost them pennies so I guess it isn't needed.

With your confermation of them working, and very well at that, they cost so little, why not buy it? Your probebly right that toyota would have put one on the drain plug if they thought the engine needed it, but can you really go overkill on a 15$ product, lol. I couldn't find one for our engine (expected) so do you know any engines that have the same oil plug threads?

Thanks for the great info,
Nick

I'll try and find the Web address of a company in Australia that does the same but differently.

They sell a slide on band that goes around your oil filter and it has a bunch of magnets in it. They hold the filings in the filter.

It's sort of like a magnetic beer can cooler!

Thinking about it a couple of stong magnets held onto your filter with a hose clamp would do the same job.

Ebay USA has HEAPS of magnetic drain plugs.
Try that.

As for the magnet on the filter, I think thats a load of wank.
Why put a magnet on something that is designed to catch things.
You are almost rendering the filter a waste of time.

It would be interesting to run something on the return oil line (for those of us with remote filters) and see if anything manages to get through the filter.