Looking for a SC400 - Need some help!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

RedPhoenix

Hello all, I was pointed here by Toysrme. I currently own a Gen 3 Camry and I will be soon selling it for something new. Ive been fond of the SC400 since i was a lot younger.

So far I have not driven one yet, but I sat in it. Im 6'1 and rather large and the car fits so well, so this is definetly a plus because all current sports cars I have driven, do not fit me well.

Anyways, in my price range, the cars will have around 100K miles.

So when i check out the SC400's, what are some main things I should look for?

Should I know anything before going from an easy to work on i4 camry to a harder to service RWD v8? Im VERY mechanical, I do all my own work (except putting on tires to rims!), so i think it will be a great step up.

Thanks
Matt

Welcome to your our. You finally moving up in cylinders. From 4 to 8. That is a big jump. Since the V8 is physically larger so it will have less room to work on. However its not impossible.

Check that it has been serviced correctly. The timing belt is recommended at 60k miles but Lexus changed that in 95 to 90k miles. Most will go way more but 90k is a good interval. If needed you can do yourself from your statement of mechanical ability. Negotiate down $1000 if not done though as that is at least what Lexus will charge you.

Check for leaks. Tranny oil bright red and no burning smell. 100k miles is no big deal on these engines.

Do you know the differences in the years? If not research. Get the best condition car you can afford.

im learning still. I know there was some recall in 92 i think, some have trac control, some have some sort of engine difference, but I really dont know. Is there a confined list i can look at?

Yeah I can do the flushes, belts, no problem. I work on my friend maxima and that is a pain, but not that bad.

Anything particular I should look for? Or these very un-pain-in-the-ass-like engines?

1992-1994 250hp/260tq advertised, 230hp/40tq more like it, 10-1 compression, non-interference.

1995- same rating as 1994 but not known if was the upgraded engine found in the LS400 in 95. The SC had worse exhaust manifolds so it is possible it got the better engine but was rated lower OR it used up the older engines.

1996-1997 260hp/270tq advertised and accurate. 10.4-1 compression, interference engine

1998-2000 290hp/300tq advertised and accurate, 10.5-1 compression, interference engine, VVTi, variable length runner intake manifold. 5 speed automatics, throttle by wire (computer controlled)

If you plan on super/turbocharging the 1992-1997 may have benefits in that it doesn't have VVTi, looks to have stronger rods (unknown for years 1995-1997) and has the 4 speed tranny which can be built fairly strong

Ill most likely wind up wth 92-94 since there generally cheaper. Non interfearence is when the TB breaks and doesnt destroy the engine right? I forgot which was which.

92-94 would be better for FI since its just a little lower CP? wont matter than much though.

I saw the SC manifolds, so horrible. Probably make my own or get the Tex ones.

Thanks for the help!

When purchasing a used car I would suggest the following -

1) Make sure the car is serviced regularly with proven records...Oil changes, timing belt, etc.. if it has high miles like JB suggested....

2) Inspect the car inside and out for repaired accidents...Look along the front engine bay for frame cuts, frame repairs, etc...You don't want a car that has been in a wicked accident... Re-paints with color changes stink too, you get a scratch and the original color shows through...Re-paints usually are hiding defects and or don't last that long in general....If re-painted try to make sure it was repainted with the same original color...No color changes...

3) Look for leaks underneathe the car...Droplets forming on the bottom of the oil pan, tranny pan, differentials, powersteering...

4) Drive test in city and freeway make sure it shifts smoothly, runs smooth, no noises, etc...These cars hold up well even with high miles and should run like new if maintained...

5) Check steering and suspension bushing, brakes, and make sure tire wear is even...That is a problem with the older SC's... Rear tires won't allign properly and you get uneven tire wear...Lower Control Arm bushings tend to wear out also...Can cause steering and suspension problems...

6) Make sure you get the car for a good price, be patient and negotiate so incase you do find things wrong with it after purchase you will have budgeted some to fix accordingly...

7) Lastly run a history and title check like Carfax here in the States..Don't know if you got that crap where your at...Always nice to know what the car has been through, how many owners, accidents, salvage title, lien holders, etc....

These are good cars and you should be satisfied if it is not a lemon...Good luck...

Sincerely

Used Car Salesman Joe.....