little mount advice?!?!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

oneshot onekill

a little question about fabbing the 87 supra engine mounts. can they be fitted correctly without the tranny installed? does the engine just mount where the 7m mounted?

a little question about fabbing the 87 supra engine mounts. can they be fitted correctly without the tranny installed? does the engine just mount where the 7m mounted?

If you already have the mounts fabricated, then sure, the engine can be installed without the tranny, although you may have some difficulty with the top couple of bolts when you reinstall the transmission not to mention the oil pan flange being wider than the subframe mount points on the '87 (at least it is on my '93 1UZ-FE compared to my '87 subframe.

Otherwise if you are asking can you just put the engine in place and fabricate the engine mounts without the tranny in place....well unless you have some accurate measurements based on exactly where the engine will sit once bolted to the tranny, I would say no.

The engine uses the same mount points on the subframe, however the mounting flange on the block is forward of the mount point on the subframe. In fact, the top of the bolt from the rubber mount, once set in the mount point, is aligned with the bottom of the rear most bottom bolt hole of the mounting flange on the block.

From the measurements I took yesterday on my '87 (I have the engine in the bay, with the R154 transmission), the distance from the block mounting area to the top of the rubber mount is 2-5/8". The rubber mount itself (square mount from '87) is 2" without the metal shield over it. I cannot use the metal shield on the mount for the driver side area since it interferes with the oil pan sensor and in fact, part of the bottom bumper on the rubber mount may even have to be notched to account for any engine torquing so as not to snap off the sensor.

The oil pan flange on the bottom of my '93 1UZ-FE is actually wider than the '87 subframe mount points so it was a real pain getting dropped into place and not that it is, there is approximately 1" of space between the top of the flange and the bottom of the mount points which is going to make installing the engine mount assemblies difficult to say the least. Once it isn't raining, I'll head out to the garage and get some pictures so you can see what I mean.