JDM 1UZ in my 95 SC400? Will it work?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ranger2339

Ok so my engine has about 160k on it, I have it out of the car now to do a manual conversion. I looked around at gasket kits, new alt,starter,oil pump,tune up kit etc. After adding it all up, it gets pretty expensive. I can get a low milage JDM engine for pretty cheap (under 1k)

My question is, will the JDM 1UZ work with my 95 SC harness? If not what would need to be done, would I need the JDM harness and ECU?

Also I see on some 1UZs they have a clutch style fan and not the Hydro. one. Or am I just seeing it wrong?

Any help would be great and anybody that knows of a low milage 1UZ around. please let me know.

Thanks
Josh

I would assume its the same but actually LESS plugs. The only few differences would be the emission systems: EGR, EVAP is just 2 off the top of my head. Because of RHD or LHD it shouldn't matter much since the harness is already in your car. I would just find out what systems the JDM did/didn't have since they dont have my emission laws.

I'm thinking it would be ok, just wanted to know if my USDM ECU and harness will work with it and if there is any sepcific year JDM engine to look for to match up with my 95 ECU.

I would love to delete the EGR and EVAP, also have a lower milage engine.

Does the JDM engine also run off a clutch type fan, instead of the Hydro set up?

Thanks
Josh

JDM will have a hydro fan if you get a SC400 (soarer) motor or a LS400 ( celsior) motor. Only early crowns got the clutch type fan. The motor will ran on your management fine as long as the injectors are the same. No EGR on JDM but you need to keep the EVAP system. If you are worried about fan drag then put an electric fan onto it. Find a motor close to your year and it will be fine.
Remember that JDM motors may not have many KM's on them they do lots of idling with dirty air filters. I would rather have a motor that has been driven on the open road instead of one that has idled around in a city.

Cheers

I'm not sure about the JDM engine, but as long as you see the electrical connectors and their positions look the same as your engine, I believe they should be ok. You don't need the EGR. If your stock engine has the EGR, use the resistor to trick the ECU. If you need to know what type of resistor, let me know. I deleted my EGR without having any CEL.

Your stock 1UZFE should last very long time. I strongly believe for another 100K miles. To save the time on research and maybe some modifications to the JDM with your ECU, I'd go for a major tune-up since the engine is already outside. Aftermarket parts are cheap. You can get all the required parts for the major tuning including water pump, alternator, valve cover gaskets, sparkplugs & seals & wires, timing pulley bearings, main seal, cam seals, rotor caps, timing belt, drive belt, idler tensioner, fuel filter, maybe I'm missing a few more items...for less than $1K. Also, run a bottle of Slick 50 to clean the fuel injectors, and spray some carb cleaner into the TB should help with the idle and some gas.

Can someone please explain the differences between a stock 1uz-fe engine and this JDM 1uz-fe engine?

Besides the hydo-fan and clutch fan types.. Are the internals the same on both? Is the JDM 1uz-fe a high performance 4.0 liter Toyota limited edition engine? I am not at all familiar with the JDM's at all as it appears others are not either... Who's got the low down on these motors?

Did the 2uz and 3uz have JDM titles too on some engines? Inquiring minds want to know.....

John, JDM just means "Japanese Domestic Market". We also use the term USDM, and you can probably guess the meaning of that now.

In the case of my 2JZ Supra motor, the only thing noteworthy that was different between the JDM and USDM models was the lack of EGR for the JDM, and ceramic turbine housings IIRC, for the JDM model.

The Japanese took a more engineered approach to early emissions compliances, rather than a legislated approach as we did here in the USA.

John, JDM just means "Japanese Domestic Market". We also use the term USDM, and you can probably guess the meaning of that now.

In the case of my 2JZ Supra motor, the only thing noteworthy that was different between the JDM and USDM models was the lack of EGR for the JDM, and ceramic turbine housings IIRC, for the JDM model.

The Japanese took a more engineered approach to early emissions compliances, rather than a legislated approach as we did here in the USA.
So what about the internals? Does the 92-96 JDM have the same rods as the 92-95 USDM? This can make a big difference in boosting application.

If the 1UZ is like the 2JZ, I would think that Toyota left the internals alone between the JDM and USDM versions of the long blocks. Any of the stuff hanging off the long block would be fair game to change, however.

For example, maybe the early JDM version of the 1UZ didn't have EGR? Anyone in Oz want to confirm that with one of your JDM motors?

It's also "possible" although unlikely IMO, that Toyota may have fit different pistons in the JDM model to get a different compression ratio, to suit the fuels in the home market vs the USDM.

JDM 100% don't have EGR valve. The port on the headers has a blanking plate. The rear of the intake manifold is left open and the plate where the egr valve bolts onto the plenium is different with only a port for the PCV valve. Cheers

I just took some pictures of the JDM engine. The top and rear look the same as the USDM. The EGR is blocked. The exhaust headers look different and more bulky than the USDM. The oil pan and oil filter look different, too. I was told this engine looks more like the LS400, and the SC USDM oil pan can be swapped right in. Are there any other parts that needed to fit on the SC400? How about the engine mounts? Could you gents please confirm this?