Honda B16a2 rebuild, tips? advise?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
Iv got a B16a2 motor that has been stripped down to its every nut and bolt. Iv got the compleat motor/tranny, whole swap kit for a civic. Anyway, its my job now to put this whole thing back together. Anyone got any tips on going about doing this? i would like to fully clean all the parts like the head and port and polish it. I have alot of experiance with a dremil but i havent tryed polishing and im looking forward to learning. The head it still pritty much together, the rockers are still in as are the springs and the valves. the cams are off it, as is the intake manifold. How should i go about cleaning the head? i want to do as much as i can my self because #1, i dont want to spend too much money on the project, and #2, i cant get good help in my town with out paying through my nose. Im already planing on having to get new bearings, both main and rod. the mains were shot, they had a grove or 2 in them and when it was all taken apart, they just fell out. Im also going to get new rings, head gasket, maybe even a gasket kit with everything, and maybe a ARP set for all the bolds and what not. Anyone know of an online guide or something that can take me through putting this motor back together? it would make it easyer and it would have all the Trq specs and what not.

Get yourself a Honda assembly manual (published by Helms),the 96-00 Civic one. The engine section is excellent and well worth the $.

How are the crank journals and main caps? If there are scratches on them that are deep enough to catch your fingernail that may be a problem.

There's no need for ARP main studs. I built a B18A using the stock main bolts and it's made 475hp at the wheels...easily 520's if the damn clutch didn't go.

Head studs aren't a bad idea but not required unless you're building a boosted motor.

Take a hit on the expense and have a machine shop do a basic valve job (with new valveseals) and block machining (bore/hone).

PM me if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the tips! The main bearings were shot. They just fell out and they did have groves in them. It seems that either a rock or somthing got in there or this motor was reved sky high and driven hard. I bought new king bearings (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&rd=1&item=7916652064&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT). i got both main and rod. im also going to get a full gasket kit from a local auto parts store. they said it was only 100 bux.

So i can use the original head studs? im not looking to fully build this motor. The car that it was going to go into is now totaled so im just looking to put everything back together and sell the whole swap kit. Iv already spent about 200 bux on bearins and gaskets.

What about rings? seeings how this motor was probibly reved hard, think the rings would have to be replaced? i pulled the rings off of 2 of the pistons but im not sure if i can tell if there bad. New rings will be $50.

When the block was transported, it got some scratchs on the surface which the head gasket mates to. I hear that both surfaces that the head gasket goes on have to be perfect and clean. Should i be worried?

Whats an easy way to clean up old gaskets, grease,slug? the block is filthy and i dont want to spend hours scrubbing it. can i just hit it with a high pressure washer? also, where the tranny mates to the block, there is grease/slug EVERYWHERE, all over the area where the clutch went too. im sure this isnt normal right?

Oh ya, the intake manifold was also filled it slug, same for the TB. I cleaned most of the intake manifold but is this all a sign that his motor is in bad shape? ill try to get some pix up.

Thanks for the tips! The main bearings were shot. They just fell out and they did have groves in them. It seems that either a rock or somthing got in there or this motor was reved sky high and driven hard. I bought new king bearings (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7916652064&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT). i got both main and rod. im also going to get a full gasket kit from a local auto parts store. they said it was only 100 bux.

I never heard of King bearings,as long as the clearances are in spec they should be ok.

So i can use the original head studs? im not looking to fully build this motor. The car that it was going to go into is now totaled so im just looking to put everything back together and sell the whole swap kit. Iv already spent about 200 bux on bearins and gaskets.

As long as the bolts aren't stripped they should be alright.

What about rings? seeings how this motor was probibly reved hard, think the rings would have to be replaced? i pulled the rings off of 2 of the pistons but im not sure if i can tell if there bad. New rings will be $50.

Defintely new rings. I'd actually get some overbored stock pistons with rings from the dealer. I don't believe in reusing pistons.

When the block was transported, it got some scratchs on the surface which the head gasket mates to. I hear that both surfaces that the head gasket goes on have to be perfect and clean. Should i be worried?

The machine shop should resurface the deck surfaces (head and block) when you get the hone and valvejob.

Whats an easy way to clean up old gaskets, grease,slug? the block is filthy and i dont want to spend hours scrubbing it. can i just hit it with a high pressure washer? also, where the tranny mates to the block, there is grease/slug EVERYWHERE, all over the area where the clutch went too. im sure this isnt normal right?

Yup,pressure washer and degreaser. Sludge and crap is normal especially with older engines (valve cover gasket and cam seal). Gasket surfaces I use a spray-on remover and razors.

Oh ya, the intake manifold was also filled it slug, same for the TB. I cleaned most of the intake manifold but is this all a sign that his motor is in bad shape? ill try to get some pix up.

It's just plain used LOL. The previous owner probably didn't believe in cleaning anything.