chevy v8 engine swap into my 87 supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

imapitbull

I Want To Do A Engine Swap In My Supra, A Chevy V8, What Im Wondering Is There Anyone That May Have Engine Mounts Already Made That They Might Want To Sell?im Going With The Chevy Motor Because I Already Own It Including A Th350,but Ive Been Told That Theres An Adapter That Will Bolt The Engine To My Current Trani......

ITS A 1987 NON-TURBO 5SPD.
ANY PICS OR INFO AT ALL WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!

Don't interbreed your Toyota with a Chebby!

Sell that chebby motor and put a 1/2/3UZ Toyota motor in your car and keep the bloodline pure!

John
(who's putting a BMW V12 into a "Ford" GT40 replica, which is sort of like mating Sophia Loren with John Wayne......)

I'll bet John Wayne wouldn't have minded that!

Whilst Sophia may be a,ittle aged she was stunning in her day.

I'd sure crawl over my 1UZ to get to her.

I don't think you will find anyone with a Chevy V8 in their MKIII in here. Most people like John stated would be the Toyota-Lexus V8 Swap. Matter of fact you still can use your 5 speed with an adaptor. If I have that MKIII, I would put in a 1uzfe with a twin charger like Zuffen's with your W58 5 speed. That would be a sweet ride with massive lower end.

oh ok i misunderstood the forum, i thought it was for v8 swaps of all kinds for toyotas and lexus-

well thank you anyways
maybe ill think about that toyota v8 swap

Really,
I Didnt Think They Were That Cheap,thats Half The Reason That I Was Going With The Chevy, I Already Had It...

And You Had Said That I Could The Stock Tranni, Were Would I Get An Adapter For That, Also What About Engine Mounts.

What Does That Motor Push For Stock Hp. Tq.

Forget the SBC idea. For one, the 1UZ is lighter then a 7m where as a SBC is heavier. So the car ends up lighter over all with a better center of gravity then it was stock. The HP and TQ numbers for the 1UZ is in the 230 to 250 Hp range and the 260 Tq area at the flywheel.

Yes you can use the stock tranny. There are adapters and bellhousings availible for the W58 and the R154 tranny's.

Engine mount wise, I build mount stands that for the MKIII Supras currently though only for the post 89 subframes. I am waiting on a pair of pre 89 stock 7M mount stands to modify my jig to be able to design and build stands for the pre 89 subframes. The stands that I am building are designed to work hand in hand with Phil Bradshaw's tranny adapter plate which bolts a 1UZ auto bellhousing to the manual trans. I am not sure, but think that they will work it other manufactures equipment whether it be an adapter plate or bellhousing. With these mount stands, you will retain your stock rubber mounts.

Here is a link of a video of another members MKIII with a running 1UZ installed that is using the mounts that I build. The members name on here is GT400.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7CVDvJ-Vyw

Yeah, there are swaps using different motors out there. There is a member on supramania that is doing an LS6 swap. There's a guy in canada that has a twin turbo SBC in a MKIII. Me personally, it would have to be an aluminum block motor for the weight issues so that brings it to the 1 or 3 UZ or any of the chevy LS engines and cost kind of knocks the good LS engine out of the running. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

hey chris you realize most ls series engines are aluminum block too. i think only the trucks came with iron block.

Yeah, that why I said in my last post that it would have to be either a UZ or an LS, but the cost of LS engines knocks them out of the running.

Having just rechecked the average going price just now, makes the LS engine a bit more of an option. Just a quick search for one locally, that can be found for $700 or so and up, but thats for the mid 90's LS1 (which most likely are beat and worn. ( damn mullet haired camaro guys.... LOL))

When I originally looked into that swap, you couldn't find one for under $1200 and that was 93 / 94 models with high milage.

ok, today is has been a long day and I just realized that I have screwed up my years in the last post.

its soppost to be late 90's and 97/98.
Dont know what the hell I was thinking when I typed it.

Here is an 88 Supra with a Chevy 5.3L motor. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1668435

Wow- my car made another forum. That was a lot of work, but was a great learning experience. I've also put the 5.3L into an RX7 and am putting one into a BMW E34.

A few words about motors & costs:

99.9% of car guys do not know about the all aluminum L33 Gen 3 truck motor. It was introduced in 2005 model Silverado SS and GMC Sierra trucks as the "high output" motor. It is rated at 310 HP/330 TQ. The points about the LS1 are correct, no one wants to sell them for anything close to a reasonable cost, and they usually have well over 100K on them.

I bought the iron block Supra motor complete for $400 from a local junkyard.

I bought the aluminum L33 motor for the RX7 for $800, and the second L33 for the BMW for $850. I was able to sell parts off of the motors to offset the cost of replacement parts such as intakes, oil pans, etc. This motor will accept all Gen 3 parts such as heads, cams, etc. for performance mods.

I'm not here to fuel a pissing contest about which motor is better Chevy vs. Toyota. I think it may be availability, since the Toyota/Lexus motors and performance parts are harder to find at a decent price here than the Chevy ones. In my case it was also standardization, since I knew I was going to build other cars using that motor & computer system.

As to the original topic, and also as noted above, the Supra mounts are different starting in '89. My parts donor car was a '91 and my swap car was an '88, so I found out about this firsthand.

What I did was use some LS series conversion plates from Carshop Inc. These allow Gen 1 SBC mounts to bolt to the Gen 3 engine. Mike from Jags That Run made some thicker aluminum spacers for me like what he uses for the Datsun Z-car swap (did I mention I have one of those with an LT1?). I cut & bolted some 1/4 steel plates to the motor mounts on the car, and used some older Chevy motor mounts (again from the JTR Datsun swap) between these and the aluminum spacers.

My motor sits too high since when I did this I used a truck oil pan to mock up the mounts. I used a Camaro pan for the install, and it allows the motor to sit lower in the car.