Changing Headgaskets Without Removing the Heads

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Haveone ever try to remove and replace new head gaskets without completely remove the heads? I am thinking about doing this task this weekend. Here is what I think.

* Remove the upper intake
* Unbolt the cats (in my case would be the cross pipe)
* Loosen cam gear (make sure the timing belt positions are marked)
* Unbolt the heads (my case would be head studs)
* Lift the head up to about 3/4" can slide out the old head gaskets
* Slide in the new head gaskets
* Reassemble all the parts back.

I think most of the problems would be removing the headers (especially in my situation) I think this can be done in 5-6 hours. I know there are few other factors involved, but I am strictly talking about sliding the old out and new head gaskets coming in. What do u think?

Personally, I would want to clean the gasket material with a wire brush.
It's also a great time to clean the combustion chambers, lap the valves back clean, clean the intake & exhust ports. The carbon in the combustion chamber is a scource of knocking. If you've been running water injection, you likely won't have any tho. Just a thought.

I've never done it that way on any engine. I'd also want to look at the gasket to make sure it's on there really well. No mistakes. That's just me personally. It sounds like you could do it that way tho. Just afew thoughts I have on doing it that way. Like I said I've enver done it that way so, what do I know.