Adapter for 7m R154

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Wiisass

So I just started doing some research on this and I'm trying to decide what would be the best way to go about mating the 7m R154 to the 1uz.

I know there's the TTC adapter plate, but for that I would need a JZ series R154 bellhousing, which just adds to the already expensive price.

There's also the Thor Racing or something, in the UK, that have the piece that looks like it goes between the R154 trans itself and the 1uz bellhousing. Their plate alone is listed at around $600 US, but this would also call for the rest of their kit which lists for around $2800 US.

There's also Dellows Auto, but I sent them an email last week and haven't heard back from them, so I don't know what's going on with the pricing on their kit. I think that's a full bellhousing plus some other stuff. Last I heard, the price was sub-2k.

Another option would be designing and manufacturing the whole setup myself. I guess this would allow me to have it setup exactly how I want it, but it would take a lot more time and may end up costing as much as buying a kit that someone else put the time into to develop.

So what have you guys done or are you doing? How much is it costing you? And am I missing anything?

Tim

i replyed to the other thread where you asked basicly the same thing but here goes..

check out my build thread, i took a lot of pics and i linked to where to get the hydrolic relese baring.

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9123

i can provide you with all of the parts you need to make it work aside from the adaptor and the flywheel. chat with me over aim if you would like.

Since you have an R154, the answer to your hydraulic throwout set up is Jeep, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon. Jeep is probably cheaper. Get a good used front bearing cover from an 87-94 Jeep Wrangler AX15 and get the hydraulic throwout bearing to match from NAPA. Bolts right on.

jeep_internal_hydraulic_throwout_bearing.jpg

Also, if you can get the front bearing cover from a Solstice, Sky, Colorado or Canyon, same deal. Not the same design as the Jeep version, but does the same thing.

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7177&d=1140479909

Greg

Jake, just checked out your thread. How are things coming since the last update in there? Also, what other thread did you reply in, I might have asked this somewhere else, but I don't know, was it on another forum?

What bellhousing are you using? I don't think I saw it mentioned in your thread? And what flywheel?

Greg, I just checked on Napa and it seems that the Jeep throw out bearing is the same price as the Howe bearing that Jake used. Is there any benefit from using the Jeep one over an aftermarket one. Does it just fit better with that other front bearing cover? Or are there any other benefits?

Tim

Jake, just checked out your thread. How are things coming since the last update in there? Also, what other thread did you reply in, I might have asked this somewhere else, but I don't know, was it on another forum?

What bellhousing are you using? I don't think I saw it mentioned in your thread? And what flywheel?

Greg, I just checked on Napa and it seems that the Jeep throw out bearing is the same price as the Howe bearing that Jake used. Is there any benefit from using the Jeep one over an aftermarket one. Does it just fit better with that other front bearing cover? Or are there any other benefits?

Tim

Hi Tim,
I think it depends on how you look at it.

Howe - Good availiability.
Particularly useful in custom set ups. Able to be shimmed for adjustment. Requires front bearing cover modification to fit properly. (Doesn't appear to be a big deal) About $140

Jeep - Excellent availability. You can get one at ANY parts store in the US and Canada. When used with the Jeep front bearing cover, requires NO modifications to work. No adjustment however. The way it comes out of the box is the way it is. About $99 plus about $25 for a used Jeep bearing cover.

So, I guess that's it.

Greg

I am useing the Stock 1uz belhousing, sorry guess i forgot to mention that in my thread. my adaptor goes between the bellhousing and the trans.

my flywheel is made by super runner here on this forum.

i guess it should be important to note Im useing a push style clutch, as im useing a W58, I can set you up with a push style clutch for a r154 that will bolt to super runners flywheel without modifacation (I had to modify my flywheel ) so your setup will go togather just like mine does.

Are you using the Thor racing piece or someone else's? I was thinking something like that might be a good option. But I also started thinking about designing a bellhousing that could be made pretty simply, but I don't know if I feel like doing all the design, fea, fab, etc.

I saw the Super Runner flywheel, it looks like a nice option, but I would like something lighter. And what clutch options does that bellhousing have? I was reading through the thread and didn't really get any answers. Is it just W58? I have no problems using a push type clutch, or a pull type clutch, that doesn't really bother me, but I would like something with some good aftermarket support and nothing that's crazy expensive. Like how R154 supra clutches are a lot more than W58 for the same brand and model clutch. So a W58 clutch could be a good option but of course, I start thinking if I'm going this far, why not make something that will work with a Tilton Button clutch, triple plate thing or whatever.

Who knows, I'm just in the research stage right now and everything complete doesn't seem to have that much information and everything else seems kind of thrown together. I would rather put the time and money into designing my own setup and making it work the way I want than piecing something together that would give me more headaches than its worth. I've dealt with too much half thought out stuff in my past and I don't want to do it again. Even if it costs me the same or a little more to design the whole thing myself, I would rather do that and have little to no problems or at least be able to blame myself about it rather than try and call some dude in australia and bitch over the phone.

I was thinking a tubular steel and sheet metal bellhousing could be simple and work pretty well. It could also allow for a standard clutch, flywheel and starter combo to be mounted around it. But is it worth the effort, maybe, maybe not. I won't know until I look into it a little more.

Does anyone know anything about the A1 Turbos stuff? They have an R series bellhousing for under $500 US listed on their site, but does that mean it will work with the R154 or has it just been tested on other R series trannies? And how is their flywheel?

Greg, thanks for the info. Custom work is something I'm not scared of, so saving some money for the Howe piece or another similar style hydraulic throwout bearing would probably be what I would choose over spending double the money on the jeep setup. At least that's how I'm looking at it right now without too much research done on the topic.

Tim