1UZ into Mazda 929?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Hoffa

Hey guys, Im new to this forum. Heard alot about these motors, and its cool to see what you guys are doing with them, though it is giving me ideas that are only going to put further strain on my wallet!(I already have a full rebuild on the go).

2months ago I was given my nephews 1986 Mazda 929 4 door hardtop. It had a recently rebuilt (6 months previous) engine though the 4 speed auto was stuffed. The plan was to replace the box and have a cheap commuter, as I do about 450/500 k's a week.

Heres my dilema, I bought a 929 coupe as a donor car for its 5 speed manual to convert my hardtop to manual, but it is just too good to send to the crusher. It has no rust and the the shape has started to grow on me.

Seeing the conversions you guys are doing makes me wonder if it is worth hanging on to for a future 1UZ conversion.

My main questions are about the computer, given that the 4cyl was fuel injected. Is it better to retain the factory computer and link it to the lexus computer, or is it more feasible to use an after market computer?

Some oppinions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question shows my ignorance of car electrical and computer systems. I thought that maybe the original computer maybe required to opperate other parts of the electrical system, but I guess not.

Thanks
Chris

i would go for full aftermarket management.

if you had the sedan you would need to keep a portion of the factory computer for the speed sensors etc and just use resistors on the rest!

they're good cars (esp. with a rotor - a 1UZ would be better tho), you can swap out the diff for a S6 RX7 diff (more ratios) and they're a reasonably stiff chassis.

onya for doing something different. :)

i would go for full aftermarket management.

if you had the sedan you would need to keep a portion of the factory computer for the speed sensors etc and just use resistors on the rest!

they're good cars (esp. with a rotor - a 1UZ would be better tho), you can swap out the diff for a S6 RX7 diff (more ratios) and they're a reasonably stiff chassis.

onya for doing something different. :)

Thanks mate. It wont be a project for a while, but I have space at work to put it in a corner and save it for later. When I have finished with the sedan I will the out all the manual stuff (pedals etc) and keep it for the coupe.

if your not after big power a std factory ecu is the way to go

plus check yr engineer as aftermarket ecus are getting harder to pass these days

much better cold start and idle tuning since alot of aftermarket ecu tuners out there dont spend enough time on cruise and idle and cold start mixtures

i would first remove half the crap thats in that engine bay it looks disgusting

y did u get in trouble for hanging out at local maccas and they confescated it and crushed it like in the usa hehehehehe