1UZ in AORC Performance 2wd class

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

flagg

Hi all,

New to the forum and have enjoyed reading all the conversion and variant info on the 1UZ. Excellent site. I am weighing up engine choices for an offroad racing project (performance 2WD class) using a 2WD Hilux chassis/body with a 1UZ engine and modified auto (manualised shift and big cooler) and would appreciate some direction and advice.

From what I have read a 1UZ VVTi model would appear most suitable in a hilux due to less clutter and better clearance (sump, firewall etc.) I have seen a half cut for $3400 but as the project is on a tight budget I am unsure if I can start with this model and am weighing up using an earlier crown engine/trans package.

The early crown engine and auto appears suitable due to the tailshaft yoke on the auto but would need some surgery on the sump and/or crossmember due to its 'centre sump' arrangement. I am trying to locate the engine as far back as possible but not keen on having to build a firewall.

So, my questions are what model hilux's have a bit more room for the 1UZ?

What is required to use the standard loom, crown engine ECU (and auto ECU?) when I will be modifying the auto to be a manual shift?

(Also I would prefer to run a MAP sensor rather than the standard AFM for less clutter and reliability reasons)

Do I need an aftermarket auto controller unit once it is modified for manual shift? (sorry dumb question I know, but never had an auto before!)

Appreciate any advice you have on the loom/ecu requirements in particular as most conversions just use the whole system and I am unsure if modifying the standard loom/ecu to not recognise the auto is more trouble than buying an adaptronic and going through the pain of setting it up?

Cheers, Brett.

Brett,

Welcome and we don't have dumb questions here!

If you're on a tight budget buy a Crown with a cut loom and no ECU.

This will reduce the cost dramatically.

You could just buy the engine and purchase the auto from here as many members have them lying around. I've given 3 away!

The reason I suggest this route is you can then run an aftermarket ECU and have your MAP sensing. Even an older Wolf or simillar won't cost more than a few hudred dollars and it will run the Crown easily.

I used a cut loom and ran Autronic.

The Sumps unbolt and can be swappped for front, mid or rear. Then you can make your own or go to CRS and buy theirs.

I can't tell which Lux to buy as I have no idea.

Modifying the manual to "tiptronic" is pretty easy and there are many articles on it on this Forum.

Good luck and keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask what you may see as dumb questions as we all had them when we started.

Thanks Zuffen,

I am leaning towards a stand alone system as I think time spent trying to modify the standard loom and ecu to work is better spent setting up a new system from scratch. In my case where i am not running a speedo, traction control, standard dashboard, air-con etc. and the auto will not be linked seems the way to go. There seems to be a wide range of aftermarket ECU's to choose from so I appreciate your advice.

I have driven myself crazy trying to interpret the modifications required to the auto as most info relates to controllers and retaining some auto functionality. I can't establish if there is even an aftermarket sequential shifter available and if I actually need a controller if I go to full manual changing on the auto or whether it requires actual surgery like a valve body replacement. Anyway I have posted a separate question on the trans page to get some more direction.

Thanks again for the advice, appreciate your response.

Cheers.

if yr on a budget i think the vvti motor will make u steer clear
plus wiring on it is much more complex than the std 1uz
even when u run an aftermarket ecu

just stick clear of some 2nd hand aftermarket ecus

but like zuffen said get the cheapest engine out there
they all cost the same when u get no electrics plus crowns are bloody hard to find these days
but make sure u research everythign u need as if u go aftermarket u need more stuff than just the ecu
u will need ignitors maybe 2 or more depending if u go std 1uz coils or direct fire or more
there is afew different ways to go

with gbox shifting there is cheap units from 200 up to 1500 depending which way u got

anyway when working on cars the budget usually doubles

im ripping the tip tronic setup out of my hilux so i can sell the car if u want to buy it
it will plug directly into a crown or early model auto with 6 pin solenoid plug

another hting is with the auto is the output flange
crown autos have slip yoke
all other boxes have a pain in the butttt flange

but do some research on here u shoul dfind some pics

Thanks Sideshow

I am off to talk to some offroaders that have used 1UZ engines and see what ignitions they have used with their aftermarket ECU's.

I searched a thread where Fugly mentions he has used a B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter and a controller with good effect. I am going to ask around about the engine braking issue in competition and see what is the best set up before going to the xpense of a full manualised valve body.

Thanks again for the advice. I might need a controller if it all works out.

Cheers..

i have made many very basic controllers
the tip tronic ones dont engine brake untill u press on throttle
because the shifter is always in drive

the basic units i make means which ever gear the lever is in thats the gear
the gearbox will select

maybe u should look at a manual
much much better use of power
the 1uz loves to rev and in auto form and only 3 gears plus overdrive
the manual really transfoms them
anyway instead of chatting to us or others
find someone and go drive their cars if u can

Thanks sideshow

I would love a manual albins or mendeola sequential change transaxle but the reality is the budget won't allow that. Many in the same boat as me and that is why you see so many t400's in offroading.

The appeal of autos in offroading is that they are kinder to the driveline. Manual transmissions that can handle 500hp dragcars usually only handle roughly half that or less offroad due to the shockloadings.

Thanks again for the info on the auto controllers. Looks like more research needed on proper manual Valve Body for 1UZ auto to see if it is worthwhile.

Cheers.