1998 SC400 Vs. 1998 Supra (N/A)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Besides the look of the Supra body, the 1998 SC400 will run circles around the unmodified NA Supra. (Factory vs. Factory)

Supra N/A
The base trim level came with a 3.0-liter 24-valve inline-6 engine, hammering out 220 horsepower and 215 pound-feet of torque

1998 SC400
Power: 216 kW , 290 HP @ 6,000 rpm; 300 ft lb , 407 Nm @ 4,000 rpm

Price
SC400: $9,325 to $11,175 (KBB Excellent at 100,000 miles)
Supra: $14,250 to $18,850 (KBB Excellent at 100,000 miles)

The Supra is definately around $5,000 to $7,000 higher then the VVTi SC400.

So which one would you like?

Look is subjective. So some might say SC looks better and others might say Supra looks better. So I cannot comment on subjective matters. However, stick is an advantage for the Supra.

1997-SC400.jpg
supra.bmp

-------------------1998 Lexus SC400-------------------------------1998 Toyota Supra

For a bone stock car without any engine or suspension mods, I'll take the 98 SC over the Supra in any day. The SC looks a lot smoother with the curves that match its flow. The Supra only looks good when it's lowered and has a set of nice rims on it. It'll look better with a body kit, though. Despite the auto tranny, the SC will spank the Supra with the manual tranny. I know there're Supra fans out there, in which I'm one of them, too. But this comparision is way too easy for me.

I'm going to break from the crowd and go for the Supra here. The Supra's styling seems to have survived the test of time a little better than the SC400. But I used to own a Supra so I'm kind of partial to them. I always thought of the SC series as the poor man's MkIV Supra.

I always thought of the SC series as the poor man's MkIV Supra.

SC is no poor man Supra. The SC cost more then the Supra at MSRP. The SC4 even cost more than the TT version from what I read. So from the cost standpoint the SC was alot more. However, many people have the wrong preception that Supras are fast so the N/A get that stereotype too. Remember only modified Supras are fast.

SC is no poor man Supra. The SC cost more then the Supra at MSRP. The SC4 even cost more than the TT version from what I read. So from the cost standpoint the SC was alot more. However, many people have the wrong preception that Supras are fast so the N/A get that stereotype too. Remember only modified Supras are fast.
Oh, I know for sure that the SC3/400 cost a TON more than a Supra at any given time, when they were brand new.

I'm talking about present market values. I can buy an SC for a grand or two. I can't buy any MkIV Supra anywhere for any price less than 6,000, and that's for a horrible specimen. As a matter of fact, a good MkIV Supra will generally cost at least $25,000. Not so with an SC. Here's a picture of an SC for sale near me:
116126132ZZZZZZZZZ8ak54d3975ad9611f39.jpg

Fellow wants $2150 or best offer for it.

I can't buy any MkIV Supra anywhere for any price less than 6,000, and that's for a horrible specimen. As a matter of fact, a good MkIV Supra will generally cost at least $25,000. Not so with an SC. .
NA price was listed above by KBB. It is not from me. TT cost alot more but I was referring to NA. I like the Supra look tell u the truth. However, the NA motor needs alot of boost to get it going. I like what Cribbj is doing. Putting in a supercharged 1uzfe in the Supra body.

Oh, I know for sure that the SC3/400 cost a TON more than a Supra at any given time, when they were brand new.

I'm talking about present market values. I can buy an SC for a grand or two. I can't buy any MkIV Supra anywhere for any price less than 6,000, and that's for a horrible specimen. As a matter of fact, a good MkIV Supra will generally cost at least $25,000. Not so with an SC. Here's a picture of an SC for sale near me:

Fellow wants $2150 or best offer for it.
I'm 90% sure that SC for sale was beaten up really bad. An average nice interior with a low mileage engine costs no less than $10,000, especially for the 98 and newer. Those cheap SCs are way too older than the Supra. For some reasons, most Supras were kept in better condition than the SC. That's part of the reason they have higher value.

The biggest reason for the going price of the Supra is cause of supply and demand.... The movie Fast and Furious cause the Supra to almost double in value over night. There werent that many maid and thier production numbers got lower and lower with the newer year models... The demand shot up literly over night and thus there price too...

The biggest reason for the going price of the Supra is cause of supply and demand.... The movie Fast and Furious cause the Supra to almost double in value over night. There werent that many maid and thier production numbers got lower and lower with the newer year models... The demand shot up literly over night and thus there price too...
Very interesting point. I never thought of that.

CJ is correct. The sporty look and recent movies created huge demand for them. I saw a jacked up NA Supra from Craig's List. Missing door, missing fenders, bumper and other supporting parts. The car also need repainting. My estimate that it would take at least 7-8K to get it back to running order. So I would guess the cost would be around 2-3K. Someone offered him 7k for that piece of..... Demand definately drive the high.

I was looking at buying one about a month before the first fast and furious came out but ended up not buying one due to other circumstances. About 4 or 5 months later I started looking agian and the same cars were for sale and most had gone up by a couple thousand dollars. So I ended up buying the 3rd gen RX7 I had instead for a few different reasons.

I am keeping my eyes open for an NA or shell. Want to swap the GE motor and put in a V8. With GTE it will be aleast 10K more. With 10K I can make very good hp from the V8 already.

Thanks for the laugh!
My friend, it sounds backwards as all get-out, and I know it. But the Supras command an extremely hefty market premium over the SC series, a premium ranging from 2x to 15x. That's a huge difference. If I wanted a coupe, I'd buy myself the SC to get most of the chassis benefits of the MkIV Supra and the initial purchase affordability of the Lexus.