1996 LS400 Startup Questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

LS400_Fan

Hello all, new member looking to purchase a 1996 LS400. I found one with low miles (85,000) that seemed to be owned by an older person because the car is rather immaculate and even the seats are not worn in at all. Considering the low mileage this is my hunch.

I did a quick overview of the car and plan to much more thorough inspection (the one i did tonight was in the dark) this weekend.

I have already learned the common problems with the Radio/Climate LCD display and from what i can tell is the only thing wrong non-engine wise.

-----------

Couple things concern me about engine that i want to see if they are "normal" since i've never owned a lexus:

1) The cold start idle seems rather high at roughly 1200-1300rpm for quite a few minutes. Eventually once the engine warmed up it settled down to around 900-1000 in park and about 750-850 in drive. Does this seem normal?

2) Do these motors have noisey lifters? The lifters seemed to "tick" a bit louder than i think a Lexus should but they did quiet down after it warmed up. So it could have just been low on oil but i know some engines tend to have noisey lifters (even my current one) so i'm just trying to see if this is common.

That's about all i have for now. Does anyone have any buying tips they tell me i'm all ears.

Thank you in advance

I just pickup a 1995 LS400 and its in awesome shape. Drives like a brand new Camery. Ticking noise might be that u need a valve adjustment (shim)

I was going to say the engine doesn't have lifters. The idle is a little high when warm.

1) The cold start idle seems rather high at roughly 1200-1300rpm for quite a few minutes. Eventually once the engine warmed up it settled down to around 900-1000 in park and about 750-850 in drive. Does this seem normal?

2) Do these motors have noisey lifters? The lifters seemed to "tick" a bit louder than i think a Lexus should but they did quiet down after it warmed up. So it could have just been low on oil but i know some engines tend to have noisey lifters (even my current one) so i'm just trying to see if this is common.

If you're really considering this car, you might want to consider taking a Lexus delaer for an inspection that way you know where you're at. I did, it cost me $150. But the small things they found gave me a lot of leverage on the final price.

I've got a 96 myself. You are going to be due for timing bellt/water pump at around 90k miles. Since you're already in there you'll also want to do cam & crank seals. Can get kind of expenisve, but shouldn't need much on the engine for a long time. The timing belt is something you definitely want to take care of. The 96 has the interferance motor which means if the belt breaks you can severely damage your motor.

Thoughts on your questions:

1) 1200-1300 is about right on a cold start

2) The ticking "could" be just nosiy fuel injectors

Good Luck!

Do the PM on this car!

Mine has had a small ticking on start up since I've owned it and it revs ~1300 at start up.

I've owned my '96 for 6.5yrs. I've been a fanatic with PM. Currently at 240K and still spanking the unsuspecting 5.0. I'm using about 1/3 qt oil per 5k mi. If you're nickle & diming maintenence this might not be the car for you.. Using a good private mechanic (who knows Lexus) can save you a bunch over the dealer though.

For some odd reason, Atlanta is a has a good selection of older LS400s if you're still looking.

Just moved to Miami. Anyone know a good Toyota/Lexus mechanic here?

Mine has had a small ticking on start up since I've owned it and it revs ~1300 at start up.

I've owned my '96 for 6.5yrs. I've been a fanatic with PM. Currently at 240K and still spanking the unsuspecting 5.0. I'm using about 1/3 qt oil per 5k mi. If you're nickle & diming maintenence this might not be the car for you.. Using a good private mechanic (who knows Lexus) can save you a bunch over the dealer though.

For some odd reason, Atlanta is a has a good selection of older LS400s if you're still looking.

Just moved to Miami. Anyone know a good Toyota/Lexus mechanic here?

Hey FatCat! I'm down here in Miami too with my 96 LS400. I originally had my LS taken to the dealer for a pre-purchase inspection and was referred to LexAuto by the dealer themseleves. Great Lexus mechanic that has done my Timing belt, water pump, seals, complete tune-up and strut rods. Excellent work and good pricing. They're in the Falls area.

LexAuto
8737 SW 132 Street
Miami, FL 33176
(305) 969-3265

Thanks for the tip on Lexauto! I'll give them a try. Since I'm in Miami now, I need to pimp my ride just a little. I found an online wheel vendor, here in Miami, that has a set of 19"x9" for ~$800. Then springs and bushings, then nitrous....... oops, dreaming again! Mine is a work vehicle.

Six years and 160k later and I still love this car! As a used vehicle, they are a great value.

Thanks again for the tip!