1983 Hilux 4x4

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

EF2.0

Hey all,

I looking to putting a 1UZFE VVTI in my 83 hilux. The plan is to make an awesome trail rig. I'm looking for input on all aspects of this swap. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

i havent done any 1uz swaps into the older hilux's but i have swapped in a couple fuel injected chevy and fords and i found the early ones are easier becasue all the sensors are mechanical and you just have to find bungs on the motor to thread them into and then all guages will work and then you just use the stock computer as a stand alone computer harness and cut out the unnecessary stuff. toghest part on some is fuel pumps, had to swapt he entire tank on one project cause LSx motors use some high psi fuel that i could not find a decent priced pump to push.

I am embarking soon on a 90 1uz into a 89 hilux so i am excited to see your progress!

good luck

I tried swapping a vvti motor and failed due to the complexity of the vehicle's stock security system. To override it you need a transponder key + ignition barrell + security module and the actual mechanical switch (and all of these off the exact same donor vehicle) for the vvti ECU to be satisfied. Of course, you can still wire/tune it fairly easily if you step up to a standalone with enough juice to run the VVt as well as the stepper motor for the drive by wire. I planned to run mine with Adaptronic e420c but gave up due to the unit's lack of voltage output. Basically I could run the VVt but not the throttle, and vice versa. Looking back I think I could have made it work if i ditched the DBW and ran a traditional throttle instead. Also, the vvt has a returnless fuel system and needs its OEM fuel pump module to run it, otherwise convert the fuel system to a return type. Keep us posted, its still a very doable project and the VVt motor has great potential.