1UZ Swapped AE70 corolla: Problems

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

016UCH

IMG-20171216-WA0015.jpeg View attachment 13691 Hellos,

This is my first post. I'm a fresher.

I just completed my 1996 non vvti 1uz swap with stock ecu after 4 years. But i cant seem to fix the followiing issues. I need some help.

1. BLACK SMOKE.
We've been running the engine on open headers for a while without noticing any smoke. But yesterday we installed the exhaust (stock LS400 exhaust up to the center followed by straight pipe 2.5 up to muffler). Theres quite some smoke that comes out at idle and at when revving. It leaves black residue on the floor. Fuel filter and air filter are new. How can i get rid of the smoke?

2. LOW RPM AT IDLE AND WHEN YOU REVV IT DIES WHEN RPM FALLS.

We didnt have this issue before installing the new filter. It all started after the air filter was installed. Rpm drops to as low as 200. Sometimes it dies other times it goes back to about 650-750.
Before the filter was installed, rpm at idle was btwn 800-1000.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry i forgot to mention that it's a manual transmission swap and the powersteering system was totally deleted.

Not sure if it's the tiny vacuum hoses that are not plumbed right or something. I've attached a pic of the engine bay. (I know it's a mess)

What ecu number are you running? What air flow meter are you running?

Can you do a test on the Iac circuit please. Unplug and with key on test for voltage (12 volts) at one of the centre pins. Run engine keeping throttle open for 10 seconds then turn key off. See if voltage turns off straight away when key is turned off or lingers for a few seconds.

Are there any fault codes displayed?

Cheers.

What ecu number are you running? What air flow meter are you running?

Can you do a test on the Iac circuit please. Unplug and with key on test for voltage (12 volts) at one of the centre pins. Run engine keeping throttle open for 10 seconds then turn key off. See if voltage turns off straight away when key is turned off or lingers for a few seconds.

Are there any fault codes displayed?

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply "gloverman"
The ecu i'm running is # 89661-50241. I'm not sure about the AFM offhead, but will confirm first thing monday morning and let you know. (Car is still at the workshop...and theyre closed on sundays).

Cheers.Screenshot_20171217-005924.jpg

Well the ecu makes sense to me as I see lots of jdm engines but the AFM in the photo looks like the later model unit from 3uz and 170 series crown. Two generations later than your engine. 20 series vvti ran a cartridge unit but different again. Same unit that looks like yours as used on lots of other Toyota cars.

I'd be using afm with plastic body 22250-50060. Using others will make it run poorly. Seen it too many times now.

Well the ecu makes sense to me as I see lots of jdm engines but the AFM in the photo looks like the later model unit from 3uz and 170 series crown. Two generations later than your engine. 20 series vvti ran a cartridge unit but different again. Same unit that looks like yours as used on lots of other Toyota cars.

I'd be using afm with plastic body 22250-50060. Using others will make it run poorly. Seen it too many times now.

You're right, it's a different afm. The one i have is # 22204-22010. Comes in a number of cars including the vvti 2002 crown majesta, among others. However, i bought the engine prewired from SA and that's the afm they sent with it.

I googled a contact number of the people who sold it to me (took me the whole night) and managed to get one on whatsapp.

When i sent them the pic of engine bay, the guy said the AFM in the picture is on backwards. He says it should be okay once i turn it around.

Will change it over 2moro and see how it goes...

Thanks again :)20171217_135826.jpg

Today i turned the afm around to face the right direction but there was no change. Instead i think it worsened. Car wont even idle without some help on the gas pedal.

Looks like i need to find the stock plastic unit with part # 22250-50060.

I hop it will resolve the situation.

Cheers.

20171219_121143-352x529.jpg I've managed to get the stock AFM but the colours of the wires are different. I've connected the plug anyways but engine cranks but wont start or idle now.

When i put back the non stock one, the engine runs.

Below are pics of both units side by side. Am i missing something? Can you help me with the colour codes?

20171219_112225-747x1328.jpg 20171222_112514-747x1328.jpg PROBLEM SOLVED:
So i finally managed to wire up the stock AFM. All i did was deloom the wiring of the non stock afm and it revealed the join with stock wiring/colours. The stock AFM already had a cut plug so it was easy to see which wire goes where.

After i fired up the engine and it was a totally different BEAST! The exhaust sound changed, the black smoke vanished, engine could now rev freely to 6700ish rpm. Took it out for a spin and it was really quick!

Cheers and merry xmas!