1uz / Nissan 6 speed Mercedes 190e swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

190-v8

These are just becoming too common...:)

I did a lot of research here and thought I should maybe post my project here as well.

I am doing pretty much the exact same swap as Trollburger..well the same as far as which car/enging/trans combo etc. I am sure there will be slight differences regarding approach and install etc.

Mine is a 1984 190e that I bought with a blown rear end. Seems like a nice car that someone had taken pretty good care of over the years. The 2.3L/auto however had to go.

It is basically getting the following:

LS400 1uz
Z33 Nissan 6speed 350z trans
r200v Nissan read end/axles
R&P steering conversion
Custom driveshaft, engine and trans mounts etc
Likely to be run by Megasquirt

Attachments

• 6 speed.JPG
    6 speed.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 45
  • on stand.jpg
    on stand.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 190 first got.jpg
    190 first got.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 42
  • vlsd.jpg
    vlsd.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 42
  • in the shop.JPG
    in the shop.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 52
Clean!

Got a chance to remove the plastic "under engine compartment plastic tray" which had about 30 years of slime on it...

Once it was out I cleaned up the engine bay fairly well with degreaser.

Going to start to sort out the motor mount points as well as decide on which rack i am going to use.

I found a possible solution to the "steering shaft in the way of the header" issue that is still a bit of a problem with a R&P V8 conversions. It basically drops the steering shaft either 5" or 10" for a more relaxed angle to the rack. Mostly used in street rods but no reason why it won't work here as well. Once I have the stock box out I can have a better look to see if this would help. The 10" one will be too long for sure.

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 39
  • offsetsteer2.jpg
    offsetsteer2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 196
  • offsetsteer4.jpg
    offsetsteer4.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 186
I think for motor mounts i am going to try the "hockey puck method" Not sure where I found these pics online....but looks nice and flat for my application and definitely "Canadian" approved.

Attachments

• DSCN0926.JPG
    DSCN0926.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN0940.JPG
    DSCN0940.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 32
I discarded the "hockey puck" idea and bought some LS1 C6 corvette motor mounts and they look like they will work great on the 1uz. Not sure about the height yet but they are pretty close to the stock MB 4 cylinder ones.

Attachments

• PU mount.jpg
    PU mount.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 25
In order for the V8 to fit I had to do away with the stock steering box assembly and tie rods and switch the car to a rack and pinion type steering set-up...I have cut off the drag link arm mounts from the frame....no turning back now..

I have been talking back and forth with a guy in North Carolina about what he did to mount the rack in his 450hp V8 SBF track car...a well sorted out car that runs with Porsche GT3 cars..

He made a plate that mounts under the stock cross member and has legs that run back and tie into the rear A arm mounts. After talking to him about a few of the important measurements... I cut my own version of his rack mount plate out of 1/4" steel.

Although this design differs a little bit from his plate, I am going to be mounting the exact same VW rack in the exact same location he did - front to back and vertically in the car. I have the part # of the rack he used.

This mount plate will be totally bolt on - allowing for easy rack adjustment/removal while the V8 is in position. The 2 small holes between the larger holes will bolt through holes drilled in the stock cross member and the 4 holes in the "legs" bolt onto the rear ward A arm mount... which should provide a little chassis stiffening bonus.

Attachments

• rack plate.jpg
    rack plate.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for sharing! Great project!

I got the same flywheel from 4U2QUIK. It really is good quality. :)

Keep up the good work!