UZFE with Supra 6 Speed Tranny

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

robie

can you mess with the ecu by adding a piggyback unit. a six speed would be great in my sc400 , i can add more power and the tranny will hold up fine and at the same time i can save some gas with six gear because of the fact that i'm lowering my rpm's."down with five speed if you can get six".

Along with Turbo Andrews excellent adapter, we're looking to make an all new bellhousing that slides onto the V160 and mates to the 1/2/3uz-fe. We're gathering interested parties in the Group Buy section of the forums, so please take a look when you have time. The future is bright for this tranny.

Eric

Eric, you know you have to come up with some flywheel & clutch combo's next....:veryhappy

How about a good dual mass flywheel that doesn't provoke the Getrag into sounding like a bucket of bolts like it does on the Supra when we go to a lightweight flywheel?

Then couple that with a nice slippable multi disc Kevlar clutch that's actually driveable, and doesn't give your left leg such a workout that it's noticeably bigger than your right?

John

I was reading that the 3s-gte clutch and flywheel was a drop in but that the ring gear has to be beveled 1mm on the starter side since the starter engages from the front instead of the rear. If that's the case (and if I read it right), for us with high HP goals, a multidisk clutch is the answer. HKS makes the triple plate (which I run now) and can hold 1000Lb/ft Tq. Tilton also makes a clutch for the 3s-gte that weighs in at 12lbs, and can hold 850ft/lbs of tq.

Don't forget to sign up in the group buy section. We need as many people as we can get to make this new bellhousing happen. : )

Thanks man,

Eric

slideshow...

offwiththeold2hj.jpg

off with the old auto..

thetwobellhousings2mr.jpg

explaining the impending destruction..

cutting20dv.jpg

let the mayhem begin..

cutting3pc.jpg

theadapterpremachining3hi.jpg

the adapter plate before machining..

machining4el.jpg

machining..

onwiththenew7bl.jpg

on with the new..

'twas quite the cool episode of rides.. (disc 3 of season 1)

..oh and something i'd like to point out.. how can that place be so clean?!? whenever i work on the car i'm covered head to toe in grease and so's everything in the garage..

fuzz, can you explain more?
you use getrag bellhousing?
that adapter plate is alu or steel? if alu it is welded to bellhousing?
thanks
Jerry

jtjerry said:
fuzz, can you explain more?
you use getrag bellhousing?
that adapter plate is alu or steel? if alu it is welded to bellhousing?
thanks
Jerry
i wish i had a v160..

i think you expect more from me than i can give, those are just screenshots from tv. i didn't do this conversion.

though logic dictates that if the bellhousing is aluminium, then the adapter plate (welded on as shown in the shots) is also aluminium.

Ha, I had season 1 of RIDES here and hadn't watched disc 3 yet, so after reading this thread i watched the first part involving the LEXUS,

unfortunatly it doesnt go into much regarding the gearbox conversion, the pics above are pretty much all you see on the DVD,
doesnt say what flywheel or clutch setup , just shows the trimming of the Supra bell and welding on the adapter ring for the lexus motor.

I reckon this DVD set is exellent, i have only watched a couple of episodes so far, but its great.

The impression I get is they traded the Auto for a supra Auto. Is this correct?
If it is doesn't that mean you could drop in the Supra manual 6-speed with an adaptor plate as well?

this is a bit off topic, but when i was pricing gearboxes, i called my local toyota dealer to see what a new supra 6 speed would cost, and was quoted nz$24,000 plus importing and gst!
since i could buy an entire used supra for that, i kindly declined his offer. efforts to find a used one were fruitless, and i ended up being ripped off for a w57. if i did it again i think id go for a getrag t56 or similar 6 speed, as they're more common over here (out of crashed hsv commodores and some of the newer falcons i think).
just for interest, what are v160's worth in the states?

On average 2000-2500 usd. There's always a few for sale at any given time on Suprafourms.com.

Eric

thats quite a bit for a gearbox, however good it is. i think you'd need some rediculous power figures to justify that much. after getting the gearbox, modifying it, buying a custom flywheel and (presumably) something like a triple plate clutch, you're up around us$4-7000 for a gearbox setup. looks like im going to have to start saving...lol.

yeah, i suppose it comes down to choices. like what would you rather have; another gear, or a full leather retrim (etc)? 6 speeds are very cool though.
another thing to consider may be that a 6 speed could save you some money in the long run, if you do lots of highway driving. a new hsv pulls just 1300rpm in 6th, at 100kph. that could save you some gas over a 5 speed box with a shorter top ratio pulling higher revs at the same speed.
(thats how id justify it to the missus anyway)

340i said:
yeah, i suppose it comes down to choices. like what would you rather have; another gear, or a full leather retrim (etc)? 6 speeds are very cool though.
another thing to consider may be that a 6 speed could save you some money in the long run, if you do lots of highway driving. a new hsv pulls just 1300rpm in 6th, at 100kph. that could save you some gas over a 5 speed box with a shorter top ratio pulling higher revs at the same speed.
(thats how id justify it to the missus anyway)
Not sure on the toyota 6 speed ratios, but if the motor has not much torque at 1500rpm, its not going to benifit sitting on that low revs at 100kmh compared to 2000 say.
egsample is like doing 500rpm in 4th, better off in third to maintain the same speed.

The 6 speed in the HSV's is a 4 speed with 2 overdrive gears. The Getrag box is a 5 speed with 1 overdrive. It would be the same as the HSV driving in 5th gear. The Getrag suits the lower torque motors.