Crank compatibility

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Arnout

Are all UZ cranks interchangable among the blocks? I have a 3UZ with a spun bearing and the 3UZ crank is difficult to find. Can I use a 1UZ crank? They do have a different part number. Can I also put a 2UZ crank in and have the pistons adjusted a little? It's only 1.5mm stroke but if I am replacing the crank, I might better get the biggest stroke possible, right?

The Lextreme stroker crank is probably cheaper than a factory replacement crank. If you are going to change pistons and you certainly should replace the wimpy rods... you should price a stroker kit against the combination of replacement parts. Since you have a 3uz you can build a 4.7 with stock bore pistons.

if I'm changing the crank for a non toyota/lexus unit, I will go flat plane. But for this engine it's just gonna be a cheap fix and 1UZ blocks you can buy for 250 bucks or so. Get the crank out, block to the old iron and done :)

Had my 3UZ in yesterday and it's in nice condition. The bearings are gone so I need to replace the crank. Rods and pistons I normally throw away anyways.
Who knows the exact difference between the cranks on the UZ from Toyota? You have the 13411-500xx
20 = 1UZ-FE UCF10
30 = 1UZ-FE UCF20
40 = 1UZ-FE VVTi + 3UZ-FE
50 = 2UZ-FE

I think the crank changed when the smaller rods came in, to compensate for the lesser counter weights. Correct?

Arnout did you ever source your flat plane crank?

FWIW, I've been talking with Marine Crankshafts about building a flat plane crank if anyone is interested?

Front end engineering & setup is around $700, and the cranks are $2300 a copy after that. Material is 4340 billet, and they're triple heat treated, stress relieved and plasma nitrided afterward.

no I didn't do the efforts on getting flat plane UZ yet. I also need to get new camshafts obviously. But anyways I think it's an excellent idea. for 2300 USD it's not that expensive! Good idea, when are we ordering?

Not for me.

I've spent enough on the 1UZ and if I wanted something "better" I'd go LS6.

For me "better" is a larger capacity physically smaller engine but that is only specific to me.

I would always consider the 1UZ superior to any LS engine.

Anyone want to contact Kelford's to see what a set of cams would run for a UZ with the flatplane crank?

I'll contact Bill Dailey of Dailey Engineering to see what one of his dry sump setups would run. He's already making me a dry sump setup for the V12 BMW motor.

Attachments

• 34Pin.pdf
    17.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 16Pin.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 28Pin.pdf
    17.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 22Pin.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 8
Cams are usually made from cast iron so the porosity of the material holds the oil and stop wear.

If you could get a piece of cast of the right length and diameter you could treat it like billet and machine most of it away leaving the sections you want from which to machine the lobes.

Thinking about it any cam grinder could grind them but it would take a long time and be hard on their equipment as you woul dhave 3/4 of each lobe to grind away.

year passed.... :)
Anyways, was at sema this year and spoke with Mitch Pederson about the V8. We found an address that can do the flat plane cranks for not all too expensive, so now it's hunting down the cams. Topic bump I would say. Who knows some crank manufacturers for price comparison and who knows some good camshaft guys? I can have the cams made out of billet but I'm afraid on the lubracation piece.

guess what...3 years passed on this site....

Hehehe, guess no one in this crowd is that keen on building a high RPM motor with flatplane crank.

BTW, Bill Dailey has already designed & built a dry sump system for the UZ, and it was for TRD with their modified front cover. He said it wouldn't be difficult to modify the design for a stock front cover.

He said to figure $1300 or so for the pan, and another $1900 for the 5 stage pump.

Last edited: