What is the best bang for buck V8 available???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mr Collins

Hi all, I am looking at creating a high performance 4x4 (similar to an iceland Arktik 4x4)(search youtube for an example) and i've been wondering what the most affordable and best possible V8 i could use in terms of off the shelf performance/reliability/weight/affordable strong transmission/best power increase with naturally aspirated mods for the project would be???
I would be open to any make and model being used even if it were not a Lexus although they seem to satisfy many of the above conditions.
keep in mind that i would also consider purchasing motors directly from japan to reduce costs, as i hear Lexus motors can be purchased very cheaply over there.
anyone's help, opinion and comments would be much appreciated.

Oh and i almost forgot to add that a V8 with the potential to rev well would be great (as we all know an 8 that roars around 7000rpm is sweet sound!)

Last edited:
For HP/$$, and parts availability, especially the go-fast bits, you can't beat an LSx.

I'm not a fan of these engines, only because I find them boring, but you certainly can't make HP any cheaper than you can with these.

Any idea of what kind of OHC setup do they have? power they produce off the shelf? and what mods to perform for best increases in power and as a result what kind of power can be produced with those mods keeping things within reason eg; not pulling the engine apart

They're an aluminum Chevy pushrod motor, so no OHC's. Very light & compact, however for a 5.7l motor.

JBrady is the man who can tell you more about them.

For a 4x4 you need low end grunt and the LSx is the only engine to give you that in a light and compact package.

An Arktic needs more torque due to the sheer size of the wheels and tyres.

Have a look into the LSx range they're actually quite advanced for a pushrod engine.

If I re-engined my Rover it would be an LS6.

Heaps cheaper in the long run and you would have a 100% reliable engine.

Crate engines are quite affordable.

Sounds like your familiar with the Tron haha. Yes i think you have a pretty good point on the issue of developing lots off torque off the bottom for this particular application, i was thinking of running the motor on alcohol and changing the intake and exhaust manifold plus an aftermarket computer with a re tune with an NA set up in order to develope some decent power. But like you say i should run something that is going to produce alot snap right off the bottom! and still produce alot power overall so maybe i should reconsider things and run a supercharger which would produce great torque great hp overall and i could still keep it a small block.
thanks for your suggestions.....................maybe a 1uz could be used.

thanks mate i will keep them in mind definately. I guess il size everything up that i can get my hands on for a reasonable price and see which unit ticks all the boxes. The only thing that i'm concerned about with using a roots type super charger is wether or not the super charger could take the rough movement that you see alot 4x4's take?

Has anyone removed the starter / repositioned motor and run a blower much same way Kenny Bell blowers are mounted on the 4.6 Mustangs ??
The blower is down in engines valley..Very low clearance..

In my first 1UZ iteration I had the starter under the engine. I used a mid sump alloy section and a rear sump oil pan plus a little alloy welding. Worked well. 10 minute starter change!

I also had a Ford Lightning manifold with the runners removed and 1UZ runners welded on to put the intercooler below the heads and the supercharger sat on top.

Never ran but sold it all off to a fellow Lextemer when I decided to go twin screw.

As John and Rod and others have already stated the LS(x) series of GM engines has the spark ingition engine application for weight power and packaging.

I am a HUGE forced induction fan be it turbo/supercharging or even chemical supercharging (nitrous) but for continuous use such as 4x4 use the operating temperatures can easily get out of control. The devices also add one/many more variables and complications that can (and do) fail.

A turbo 1uzfe can make 1000+hp and could be designed to make good torque but would be very expensive to build reliably and would take a lot of space.

The LS(x) series (LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7, LS9) are all the same basic architeture with displacement ranging from 4.8 liter truck engines to the 7 liter LS7 found in the 2006+ Corvette ZO6.

The base LS1 came out in the 1997 Corvette and then the 1998 Camaro Z28 and Pontiac T/A and has been used by Holden for many models. Bone stock US spec LS1 is all aluminum (aluminimium ;) ) block and heads with 6 bolt main caps, COP ignition and makes 350hp. With a cam, headers and tuning 450hp is pretty easy. Did this exact thing on my buddies 1999 Corvette with 90k miles: headers, cam, tuning = 390rwhp.

Tons of aftermarket everything makes upgrades and tuning very reasonable and it is likely lighter in weight and smaller in external dimensions than the 1uzfe.

I would LOVE to build a 7 liter with Pattakon's Fully Variable Desmodromic VVA would be the bomb... smooth idle. low emissions and 700+hp potential NA
http://www.pattakon.com/pattakonDesmo.htm

Now, if there is room for packaging and strength for the weight a turbo diesel would be a killer offroad engine with 400+hp and 1000+tq

IMO over 400 rwhp would be untractable..
Excessive torque / power would have a small 4X4 in trouble if your not super careful ... Top line tyres, diff locks etc would be a must..