Standalone ECU Wasted spark and paired injectors connections, how to for standalone.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

victorestebanr

Greetings all,

I am new to this site and this has probably been discussed before but here I go....
I just got a BMW E46 with a 1UZ VVTi swap done to it, while the car is fun and all of that the engine was converted to manual and the ECU is on limp mode for not seeing the transmission, so I am doing an standalone ECU, Speeduino U44C it is. Since Speeduino only supports four injectors and four coil channels I'll be doing wasted spark and paired injection but I am confused as to how since I have always only done four cylinders engine and there seems to be confusion online with what I could find.. so far I have it as follows:

For coils, as wasted spark; cylinder 1&6//8&5//4&7//3&2//
For injectors: 1&7//3&5//2&8//4&6//

If possible please confirm if what I am doing is right, also to which channel would each pair go? Like channel 1 (injector): 1&7???

Thank you very much

Greetings all,

I am new to this site and this has probably been discussed before but here I go....
I just got a BMW E46 with a 1UZ VVTi swap done to it, while the car is fun and all of that the engine was converted to manual and the ECU is on limp mode for not seeing the transmission, so I am doing an standalone ECU, Speeduino U44C it is. Since Speeduino only supports four injectors and four coil channels I'll be doing wasted spark and paired injection but I am confused as to how since I have always only done four cylinders engine and there seems to be confusion online with what I could find.. so far I have it as follows:

For coils, as wasted spark; cylinder 1&6//8&5//4&7//3&2//
For injectors: 1&7//3&5//2&8//4&6//

If possible please confirm if what I am doing is right, also to which channel would each pair go? Like channel 1 (injector): 1&7???

Thank you very much
I've looked at the Speeduino. I've been playing with Arduinos for years and use one with a home built interface to control my auto along with a few other things (VS display, gear & shift position display, shift paddles etc) . Speeduino is a really neat DIY ECU and the PC software to program it is pretty good too. I'm running running wasted spark COP, but use sequential injection. I can confirm you have the correct cylinder pairing for ignition but not sure about your injectors. I would think the injectors would be paired the same as your ignition and turned on to fuel the cylinders for when the intakes open. Kelvin (Gloverman's) comments about injector phasing is correct. If you screw up the phasing of the injectors you will drop power and if really out will idle terrible. There are a couple of parameters that you need to be aware of for coils, you will need the ability to compensate coil charge time (dwell) over RPM and possibly battery voltage. This done to ensure you get enough spark down low and don't cook the coils up top. You may also want battery voltage compensation for injectors. Not sure if Speeduino does this. Good luck. Keen to hear how you go.

Last edited:
Hi, @gloverman after writing this post I found that video so thanks for that. @ivan129 thank you, yes, I've done couple of Speeduinos before, 4EFTE engine, 4AGE 20V and lately a 2ZZ with VVL and VVTi working, for the price it is an absolute beast. I am working on a digital dash now using an android headunit with Realdash.

From the previous video I'd think I have everything right then, I'll continue with the wiring.

Thank you very much all.