UZZ3x Tranny

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Peewee

Can someone tell me what tranny the Soarer has? (A340E right?)

Even better, a pic/description of the ID plate.

This is my UZS131 tranny.

1uz_auto_1.jpg

Hi Peewee, Just had a look at my old soarer gearbox that i pulled from my UZZ31 soarer, the plate you have shown above is the same model as i removed a 30-41LE, it has the 3 finger output to go onto a rubber donut.

Regards
Lambo

Ahh, that explains it.

Thanks for that guys, especially Lambo.
The box I have in the car should work fine then.

My code 46 must be bad wire/bad solenoid.

Good to know it *should* be ok.
Cheers

Andrew,

I can't confirm this immediately (my paperwork is at home) but Darren (v8cressida) had an issue with his cressida conversion when using a ls400 ecu and uzs131 trans as well - the a340/341 designation appers to be for the ratios but we also have (from memory) a different number of solenoids and speed sensors between the old style a34x and newer transmissions

The cressida a340e has three solenoids and the celsior/soarer trans both have four. The fourth one is line pressure modulation where the older trans are mechanical

Code 46 is supposedly solonoid 4 is open circuit or shorted

http://www.lextreme.com/Lex Autodx.pdf
46 is apparently not on the A340E

46 - Current does not flow to the No. 4 solenoid circuit for a set period of time or longer when the ECU output duty ratio to the No. 4 solenoid is 90% or higher.

* No. 4 solenoid valve
* Harness or connector between No. 4 solenoid valve and ECU
* ECU

I'll get the multimeter on the weekend, see if I have continuity.

Its a 1990 UZS131 tranny on a 1991 UZZ31 ecu.

Sorry to state the obvious but the error codes are a function of the ecu not the trans.

So I assume you are running with the same idea as me, in that the uzs131 trans may not have a fourth solenoid (being an earlier trans) and therefore the soarer ecu is having a sook.

oops, easiest way to check would be to have a quick peek at the uzs131 ect wiring from kdog - this should show # of solenoids and maybe save you some time

I realise that its a function of the ecu, which is why I was checking if the tranny I had was the correct model number for the ecu, and Lambo confirmed that.
With the ecu/tranny only being 1 year apart, it should all be good.

Since it is an A341E, then according to that PDF above, it should have the 4th solenoid.

And if the solenoid is damaged/unplugged/wire severed, then the multimeter test will pick it up (hopefully)

svpmx83 said:
oops, easiest way to check would be to have a quick peek at the uzs131 ect wiring from kdog - this should show # of solenoids and maybe save you some time
Yeah, good idea.

Just checked, 4 solenoids.

1 and 2 go to ground
3 and 4 have 12v

Peewee, don't know if this helps ,but this is how the uuz31 is wired to the 4 solinoids on my trans, maybe it will help, of course it is a different cpu to what you have.

Regards
Lambo

that diagram is not like a crown with the 2 ecus

my crown 1uz has an engine ecu and an auto ecu

what u have done is wired up a 1uz with a combined engine auto ecu

that diagram has sp+ and sp-

a crown auto ecu has sp and sp1 and the solenoid pins are s1 s2 sln and slu

one solenoid is the lockup torque converter the other is overdrive i think

my crown auto gbox has a cable goin to the throttle this controls the line pressure

i think the ls400 and sc400 gbox does not have this cableand might have an electronic line pressure solenoid

i can prob look up my info but too lazy this time of the night and alot of it is in japanese

Same setup with the solenoids as the Crown I mean Sideshow, not the whole she-bang.

Anyway, I mapped out the UZS131 pinouts tonight, here is the pic attached.

Lambo, if you could find some time to test this against your spare UZZ31 tranny that would be sweet.

I'll test the tranny in the car on the weekend, make sure its the same as the box I have spare.

i too have found it interesting that my UZS131 crown has what appears to be a kickdown-like cable (to increase line pressures?) as sideshow suggests, but yet my build plate clearly shows the box to be an A341E - which is supposed to have solenoid controlled line pressures like the UZZ3* soarers have....

..... i really want to know that my A341E does have the solenoid controlled line pressures, because i want to start screwing around with them to improve the shifts in the otherwise slushy (read: luxury-cushion) auto box.

I would love to get under the car, but unfortunately my garage space will be taken up this weekend by a mate's corolla undergoing a 20valve conversion....

the best thing to do is get the valve body modified to suit what u want and bypass the ecu controlling the line pressure if that is possible

if the line pressure isnt right then u will burn out clutches quickly

i dont know why people just dont get the output shaft modified somehow to suit a slip yoke