Upgrade Fuel Rails

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Anyone have any experience with upgrade Fuel Rails for the 1UZFE? I have seen few 1UZ with upgrade fuel rails, but i think they are custom. Here is an example
throttle_linkage.jpg

I've been giving the same thing some thought lately.

I'm going to try having the internal bore taken out another 1mm and see how that goes. 1mm will increase flow dramatically.

What I have done is to convert the original setup from single inlet- single outlet to dual inlet -dual outlet, by separating the rails completly. The biggest restriction in the fuel rail setup is not the internal bore size but the fact that both rails are fed by one 6mm internal dia banjo fitting. Separating the rails and feeding them individually halvs this problem, if this is still not enough then feed each rail from both ends and tap a new outlet into the centre. However doing these mods means using an aftermarket fpr and fittings and line etc. I have done this mod and am also using 430cc injectors, however it is still untested. Have a good look at the standard setup and you will see what I mean. I looked into having custom rails made but this mod seemed to overcome the limmitations of the standard setup.
p.s. I think I have pictures on one of the pc's around here from when I did this, if anyone wants to see them post and I will search the hard drives and put them up.
Cheers
Trev

Trev,

Could you have a look and post the photos?

I've been looking at my rails and thought the connecting pipes looked a bit small.

I don't know if this is applicable for the 1UZ, but on the 2JZ-GTE fuel rail, Toyota installed a pulsation dampner in the form of a restriction orifice - removing this is one of the first mods anyone with a high power 2JZ setup does to improve fuel flow. At first glance, it appears to be a regular dampner c/w tophat for the accumulator, but on closer inspection, the restriction orifice becomes obvious. If the 1UZ rail(s) have these dampners mounted on them, it might be worth an inspection to see how they're plumbed.

John

Yes David this is a big benefit with the dual inlet and single outlet system however I would still place a balance-crossover between the two fuel feed lines when using dual pumps to make sure of even fuel rail pressure and flow, even though in theory them both being restricted by the same fpr should make for even pressure, it does not compensate for uneven pump flow in the way merging the 2 pump lines at some point does and is also a more desirable setup to have in the event of a pump failure for obvious reasons.
And with reference to what Cribbj was saying regarding the fuel pulsation dampener on the 1uzfe it is placed on the one and only standard rail inlet that has to supply the entire fuel system and being compounded by the fact that this has to supply 8 injectors compared to the 2jz's 6. That said making power comes down to fuel flow not number of injectors so 2j and 1uz more the same. so yes it is a restriction when a performance fuel system is desired.
This pulsation dampener is straight away removed and the orrifice blocked with a small bolt and copper washer as this orrifice becomes redundant.
And Zuffen, no worries I'll have a dig and try to find them, i'm sure they will be fairley easy to locate.
Cheers
Trev

Lextreme said:
I like the idea of dual inlets and single return. Dual inlets can be power by two pumps.
That seems overly complicated. You would then need to plumb a second line from the tank to the fuel rails.

What is the size of the stuck fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter?
How much horsepower can the stock fuel system handle before it needs an upgrade?

The block off bolts need to be cut to an exact length so as not to block flow.
As you can see I have removed the cold start inj feed as I am running aftermarket management and do not require it. I have also placed my air temp sensor in the cold start injectors position in the plenum. You can see it looking through the throttle body down the bottom. It is in a direct path of the incoming air as was the cold start inj, I thought it would be a good place for an air temp sensor on a turbo engine. The mount is also insulated as to prevent heat soak from the manifold and incorrect readings. And I also have made a few mods to the throttle body.
Oh, and you probably noticed from the previous pics that the manifold is ported.

My understanding from speaking to "members with boost" is that around the 350 engine Kw's mark the single feed inlet rails runs out of flow regardless of how much pressure and flow capability is behind it, from the inlet restriction and it would seem that the cylinders whose injectors are towards the end of the system start lean out from fuel starvation before this point is reached.
So, no matter how big and powerful your fuel pump is and how high you set your base fuel pressure the fuel just cannot reach the injectors quick enough with the standard rail feed choking it.
Also back on the rails, the banjo bolts can have their orrifices enlarged, but only slightly, and it maybe possible to tap a larger thread in the feed end of the rails and fit -8 fittings, although there is probably not enough meat and would require welding on of a boss. Also as I stated above each rail can be fed from both ends with the addition of a return line tapped into the centre. Damn, just got the hurry up from the missus so betta go to keep the piece.
Hope this is of help to some of you guys.
Cheers
Trev

Depending on the interest of everyone i can try and get a better fuel rail built that will hold much larger injectors with less pressure drop.
I know of a company that does amazing work when it comes to building fuel rails for people and at good pricing as well.

Hello all,
I run a company called WolfKatz Engneering LLC and we have been doing custom fuel systems for MR2's and other cars for a few years now. If I can be convineced that there is a market for a custom fuel rail setup for this engine, I will gladly develop one. Here is a pic of a Cadillac Northstar V8 application I recently completed development work on.

OnManifold.jpg

I stand behind my work and am generally a relaxed person to deal with. Anyway, I would need to borrow someone's intake manifold for a week or so to do the prototype and I would need some communication from at least 5 others who are interested. I estimate retail pricing for just rails, mounting feet, and fittings for the end of the rails to AN-8 to be around $400-$450 retail off the top of my head.

Please have a look at my website for a better feel for my current product offerings. I can supply a wide variety of injectors as well. Please send me email if you have an interested in this project.

If I have broken any of this board's rules, I appolgize. Admin's feel free to email me if I need be!

Sincerely,
Garrett Katzenstein
www.wolfkatz.com
email: [email protected]

Lextreme said:
Garrett,

I live in your area (San Gabriel) and I have an extra intake.
Okay, That sounds reasonalbe for certain! I would like to see if others show some interest over the next week or so and if they do, then we can meet up and I will knock this out for everyone! I usually CAD everything up first, then build the prototype in my own shop. I use outside shops to make batches from that point forward. This just gives me more control over the development process.

Does this engine come with Denso Top Feed Inejctors? I ask this because there is two ways this can go. Denso's uses a different rail bore diameter than every other injector brand out there (Siemens, RC, Delphi, Bosch, Lucas ...others). The rail can be built to either standard. I like the non Denso standard for custom applications as these injectors are much less expensive and more readily available then Denso's at a custom flow rate here in the States...What do you think?

I will check in periodically over then next week or so.

Cheers,
Garrett

The problem would be finding 5 orders. High HP in 1uz is still under development. Top feed non standard Denso would be desireable. Domestic Injectors are very affortable.

hmmm, Are you one of the person's developing a High HP 1UZ? If so, maybe we can still work something out. I would be betting on things working out, but that is okay... What are the challenges? How are folks going about their goals? Maybe I should just read some more on this board...
Cheers,

Garrett

I could be interested.

At the moment I'm planning on using Ford (Bosch) injectors and this means I need to modify the fuel rail for them to fit.

By the time I bore the rail (for more flow) and then enlarge the injector holes and upgade to AN8 fittings I will have spent around the $600.00 AUD.

Let me have a firmish price and I let you know.