Twin M45 charged 1uzfe project taking shape

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

striker

Hey All,

At last weekends Le-mans 24houres I took delivery of my 2 BMW mini Eaton M45 superchargers, so another importend set of parts to go on the engine have been aquired.

The pirce of these still amazes me, I paid 220 euro's for the two of them, one is 100% new and one has only been used for delivery miles (46 in total) both where replaced by JCW items.

So I have the engine 480euro's
a cut down manifold 0 just 3 hours of elbow grease
2 eaton M45's 220 euro's
4 Laminova intercoolercores 80 euro's
all desings to build the core housings

so I'm short a whole bunch of 60mm alloy tubing anshed load of clamps
and 2 remote bypass valves. and lots of other fidly parts ofcourse but I'll find those along the build.

I'm still in doubt about whether using the original single 1uz throttle bodie or get 2 65ish mm ones from the scrappy's (VW has nice ones for next to nothing)

pully ratio is very nice on the stock pulley's, the chargers will sping at full pull (about 0.7 to 0.8bar) when the engine is at 6200rpm... which seems ok to me, because it'll be road vehicle and running the G50 box, which at that speed will do just short of 200mph on the tyre size used, of I can find a 6 speed G50 it'll be well over that btw, but those are very expensive, and as you can see I like cheap things :happysad:

Grtz Thomas

Thomas, live a little and run the twin 65's.

Make that 1UZ think it's a pair of Siamese Twin Mini's joined at the crank ;-)

Nah cribjj

looks like these have all I want in the stock package, if I had planned to run twin M62 of a merc I would have to rebuilt the chargers and exchange the pulley's on them, and they don't do pulley's for those because of the magneto clutch thingy, (merc's change the cranck pulley)

I don't want the world on power, 400bhp is good enough for me. If I was planning big horses these would have been twin rotrex C30-94's

these 2 produce more ooph than a single M90 and do that at a lower air temperature, packeging wise these are the best option also in my case hence the choice, + they cost me next to nothing hihi and I likey that!

On the intercoolers, these are probably the best W/A ic's you can get at the moment~depending on the desing of the housing you put them in, Laminova make the cores and there are a few company's that provide core housings for them, but those are all not within my specs (to large) so I'll make them myself, which is cheaper anyway, because the company's that have the cores charge enourmous money for them,

I'm planning on making them out of solid alloy (cnc'd) but might be tempted to make them out of tube if I can find the right diameter, to save some additional money. if it's tube they will be hard soldered not welded also much cheaper easier to do youself and strong enough to stay in one piece.

the desings for cncíng are ready (took 3 months to get just right) still waiting for a price quote on milling.

grtz Thomas

Nah cribjj

looks like these have all I want in the stock package, if I had planned to run twin M62 of a merc I would have to rebuilt the chargers and exchange the pulley's on them, and they don't do pulley's for those because of the magneto clutch thingy, (merc's change the cranck pulley)

Not twin M65 Eatons, I meant twin 65mm TB's, hehehe!

On the intercoolers, these are probably the best W/A ic's you can get at the moment~depending on the desing of the housing you put them in, Laminova make the cores and there are a few company's that provide core housings for them, but those are all not within my specs (to large) so I'll make them myself, which is cheaper anyway, because the company's that have the cores charge enourmous money for them,

I'm planning on making them out of solid alloy (cnc'd) but might be tempted to make them out of tube if I can find the right diameter, to save some additional money. if it's tube they will be hard soldered not welded also much cheaper easier to do youself and strong enough to stay in one piece.

the desings for cncíng are ready (took 3 months to get just right) still waiting for a price quote on milling.

grtz Thomas

how would you use alloy tubes to make an intercooler when the cores themselves are already tube-like?

Attachments

• E2.jpg
    E2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 41
cause the cores must be in a lengthwise slotted tube, that's their desing nature.

water flows lengthwise through the small outer holes, the big center one is plugged on the other side, but can be used, I might be tempted to test this aswell.

the air flows through all of the very small fins on the outside of the core, there must be a tube surounding the fins to keep the air concentrated inbetween the fins, this is called laminar flow hence "laminova"
look at the drawing photo for detail. or google laminova.

ps yes cribbj sorry for the confusion, it'll probably be the twin 65mm ones,
but I'm in doubt because of synchronising since they will be each side of the block and by no means can be connected by a bar, and using cable's would prove a nightmare to get and keep in sync.

How much power are you guys running on the stock throttlebody anyway? Justin?

grtz Thomas

Are the Laminova cores normally that cheap? 80 Euros converts to $126 aussie dollars or $107 US dollars. Thats bloody good value!
Did you buy these cores new from a supplier or were they second hand or surplus stock?
Cheers,
Andrew

You're right indeed Andrew,

Normally these are 115euro's each, but I bought them from a university who had planned to use them on a sience project that didn't come through, so they are second hand but never used.

I thought 80 euro's was a very good deal hahaha.

grtz Thomas

ps having quite some chalenges on gettig the m45's in position on the sides of the engine at the moment, they keep interfereing with the engine mounts. bollocks, we'll manage.....

Thomas claims to be Dutch, but I really think he's Scottish.

Only Scots are able to find deals on $10K worth of parts for $500.

Aight Ya'll laddy's perhaps If ya'llook in the righghght spots yah might be'able teh find these craking deals yourselves

Anyway, that's the way I like to do stuff, never run to the store in a hurry, just take your time and look around at whats availeble at each moment, then bite when something usefull pops up. did the same with the eatons and that saved me over 800euro's compared to the used-parts-prices in holland.

PS Real dutchi over here, the saying goes Belgians are stupid and dutch are cheap, (don't know about the scots though they don't sound very clever)

Grtz Thomas

Will do mischa!

I have fitted the lefthand side M45 to the engine today, spend 4 hours making brackets and stuff, it's quite hangin on the engine under it's own strength yet, because to o the final welding I need to allign the pulley's perfectly first, and I didn't have enough time to do that all but i think next week i'll come a long way.
I need to make the flanges first of 6mm alloy plate before final allingment can be done, have the plate just need some elbow grease to shape them using hand tools.

piccies ofcourse

eaton%20side.jpg
eaton%20back.jpg

Grtz Thomas

So another day of garage fun.

#1 is done for now, there will be a bracket on the lower side of the SC, but that will be fiited together with #2 so I can't do that one yet.

piccies

pulley alligment, looks out of place but that's only in picture, it's within 1/10th of a mm to the cranck pulley, by far the hardest bit of work so far
3DSCF0080.jpg

completed left mounts will get the right size bolt and a spacer made on the lathe instead of the stack of washers
4DSCF0081.jpg

front view, the engine is getting large! but the chassis guys told me I could do it.... so hope's up
3DSCF0083.jpg

6mm 6061T6 alloy outlet flange, my arms now really hurt after a nights sleep made with only a hacksaw and 2 files
DSCF0084.jpg

will be on holliday for 3 weeks to France and Italy so that's it for now more in a few weeks!

Grtz Thomas

i had been wondering where they would have to go to fit 2 of then..... really nice work on the mounting.
judging by lack of heat discolor, your a good wealder..
can't wait to see it all done, its gonna howl like a banshee!

Hey all,

Thanx for the compliments, but actually this is my first purpose made welds all by myself, I bought the mig last week, before that I always welded at a good friends workshop and he's allways given me directions on how to do it. anyway they don't look really nice but it'll do the brackets will be powercoated anyway so...

@ david, the stock alternator will be replaced by a smaller 4age item and if that's not small enough the diahatsu charade over here has the smallest production denso alternator there is (used in formulea ford alot), I'm planning to put it above the charger that is now on the engine, but if it interferes with the SC outlet pipe going up it'll either be reverse (space permitted) or gearbox mounted. I will only have the alternator running the ECU and Lights there will be nothing else on the car so 40amps continues should be enough,

who needs a stereo with these two fitted anyway??? need to be a triljon watts probably to overcome the noise of TWIN-M45

I had one tip of a fellow builder, he said that with the bolt going straight trhough the square pipe the pipe is likly to colapse when torqued up, so I'll make a dozen round 8mm pieces and put those inside the square tube and tackweld them in place, Or do you guys have different opinions?

grtz Thomas

Thomas - nice looking installation there, and I was just going to suggest that you reinforce that tube for those reasons. I've used square tube like that in other projects, and when you torque the fasteners down, it deforms/collapses, then you lose the square shape and it becomes weaker at that point and can bend/break (AMHIK :)