That annoying 1st gear surge

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

AJMcCarrell

My car is a 95 SC400 with about 137K on it. After reading a number of threads on here, I've notice people have a variety of ways of attacking that annoying surge at 1st gear that really kills your 0-60 time. What are the best ways of dealing with this problem that you have all found?

The reason I'm asking is that my wife drives a 2003 GS300 Sport with the 2JZ-VVTI and she always kills me on the stoplight to stoplight drags. Mostly it's the danged surge that does me in.

I've tried disconnecting the 4th Speed Sensor and I'm going to shim my accumulators in a week when I do a transmission service. Also, in about two weeks, I'm going to finish my exhaust mods by putting in a set of Magnaflow 14829's or 14832's. I've also heard that a Unichip solves the problem, but I don't want to buy one if it isn't true.

Also, FYI, my other car mods are BFI, X-pipe and high flow bullet cats.

Anyway, please tell me what your thoughts are?

Shimming the accumulators may help a little. The correct way to make the tranny work better is to install a high-stall speed torque converter and to modify the valvebody. It's day and night if you do that. Talking about cold air intake, the air filter must be underneath the area where the OEM filter housing is. It should be somewhere behind the fog light. That's a true cold air and makes power.

Okay, so would a torque converter work better, or would a Suprastick? I'm finding a Suprastick is a tad cheaper. Does it solve the surging problem and the horrible off the line performance, or is the TC the only real way to solve the problem?

I didn't use Suprastick and don't know how it helps. The hi-stall TQ helps both off-the-line accelleration and on the roll as well. I use Lextreme hi-stall TC. Keep in mind that it'll make the shifting a little bit more jerky due to higher shifting RPM. That's the reason it's faster.

I know a member KC95SC400 had used both Suprastick and hi-stall TC. He did shimming the accumulators, but eventually went with putting on the shift kit (modified valve body) to further improve the tranny shifting.

Please help!!!!

I just added a tranny cooler, shimmed the accumulators and now my car has five forward gears, no neutral and no reverse. Anyone have ANY IDEA what would be causing this?

When it does shift, it's quite bizarre, it will go to shift like it normally does and it will shift into a lower gear and rev really high. "Drive" has no power whatsoever and will not go up hills. The most drivable gear is Reverse and it drives like "Drive" used to.

This is BIZARRE!

The spool valve for the shifter could have been in the wrong position when you reassembled.

I shimmed my tranny added a cooler, did the IPT valve body mod and added a TC. By far the shims helped most you can shim as much as you want but an 1/8 in. helped a lot for me.