Tappet/Valve Train Noise in Soarer V8 - Please Help

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi all,

My name Is Kris and i am new to this site. In fact i am an owner of my first Toyota/Lexus Soarer/SC400. This is my new baby.
I am from South Australia, so if there are any other Soarer owners/enthusaists, then i would like to speak to you all about your experiences with these great cars.

I have been searching for a while now, for a good Soarer, and finally opted for the V8. The car is in immaculate condition throughout, and the previous owner even had it RAA inspected for me. The report showed only minor issues (such as a slightly seeping sump plug, and aftermarket wheels...talking about picky). The car pulls away quite well, and does not seem to have any other issues. (Although i should not mention that after 6 days of having the car, the alternator died on me :(

Anyway, when i was buying the car, and even the RAA mentioned it, it had a tappet noise, or a mild valve train noise.
The noise is constant, whether the engine is cold or warm. It is also audible at idle, and at higher revs (although can hardly hear it at higher revs). A few people have said that it is quite characteristic of the V8 engine to make this noise, and that it is not a problem, but i am not so sure of this. Others have suggested to put additive to the engine at the next oil change.

Can anyone help in suggesting what the problem may be? If it is a potential BIG problem, and how much i would possibly be looking at spending in order to fix it? Should i be stressing over this issue?
Also, for those of you who are in Adelaide, Who do you recommend to look at the car?

I will upload the pics of my car very soon, as soon as i get it back.

I hope that all you guys can help me out with this, and share any of your experiences and knowledge of these cars.

Hope to hear from you, and i will definitely become a regular user of this site :)

Kris

Kris,

The failed alternator is usually caused by the power steering pump leaking fluid onto it and it chops out the slip rings.

Check the P/s isn't leaking or it will fail again.

The tappet noise is fixed by resetting the valves. Not hard but fiddly.

Peter Scott is from Adelaide and runs the ALSC/Planet Soarer Site.

He's a member here as UZZ32pete (I think).

He'll be able to suggest mechanics.

Also welcome to the Site.

Hey,

I'm new here too and I was just wondering if anyone knew what this was caused by and how/where to get it fixed. Funnily enough it's my 1991 V8 Soarer that making the exact same noise. I've got it booked into CMI Toyota but I'm sure they'll charge me an arm and a leg for something that could be fixed elsewhere. Oh, Live in Adelaide Australia if anyone is willing to help me out.

Just normal wear. All that needs doing is checking the valve to cam clearance and fitting the correct shims. Any Toyota Lexus dealer can do it, if you can't get a hold of Peter

Good to see more Adelaide'ians on here
yo.gif

We should have a meet/bbq/cruise sometime.

Woot, 100 posts
veryhappy.gif

Its' booked in at CMI Toyota for Monday morning. So I guess I'll see what's happening then. Hopefully they will fix it without charging me like a wounded bull, although I seriously doubt that.

Defiantly up for a cruise sometime. I'll see about making it to next weekend at Victor.

I had noticed a similar noise back when I had just bought my car, it turned out to be a slightly sticky valve/valve guide. I suspect that the previous owner had cheaped out on petrol.
After a few oil changes and many tanks of top grade fuel, the noise is gone after going from constant to intermittent, then to only-when-cold.

Hmm yeah it wouldn't suprise me if the previous owner was a tighty whitey on petrol. Still I'll post the results on Monday night about what was wrong, how much it cost, and which valve it was.

CMI Toyota have informed me that the noise that I'm hearing is actually the Fuel Injectors not a Valve Clearance issuse. Apprently they are "pretty dirty" and will require cleaning. Can't understand why they didn't do it!

I'm a bit skeptical that it's the injectors making the noise and I'm going to take it someplace else for a look, even though it would explain why the noise didn't go a way once the oil pressure had built up. I hear Rising Sun imports on Main North Rd are supposed to be pretty decent, anyone know of anyplace that I can try? Preferably North of the City.

Clogged up Fuel Injectors can cause noise. Granted it's a little louder than I've heard before for injectors, but it could explain it. Having now been looked at by Toyota and told it is the injectors I can try a few different things to see if they make a difference. Additive to the fuel, Injector cleaning or replacment and see if that makes a difference.

Still very interested in finding someplace North of Adelaide that could look at it. Failing that next Soarer cruise I'd really appreciate someone having a listen and giving me some advice. Dont' really take what any "mechanic" tells me at face value.

Its all trail and error. Check your oil first, when was the last time you changed it and with what kind of oil? If it is noticeably louder on cold start up and then slightly goes away under idle it could be a worn cam component. Otherwise give the fuel additive to go with some 98 octane fuel and give it a good dose of the right foot.

update:
I put some stock standard Wynn's Spitfire in the car when I filled up yesterday. I'll give the car a good kick in the guts on Australia Day, see how it goes. Failing that I can replace the injector with a spare I can pull out of two other 1uzfe's I've got lying around the shed. Cause I really want to be doing that! :-/

We'll see how she goes. At least now the windows are tinted, that's something to be a happy I guess.

If it changes one way or the other with the additives, that's good, if it's goey valve stems after all, it may have to get worse sounding before it gets better.

Attachments

• uzz31_ecu.jpg
    uzz31_ecu.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 21
hey guys, I've got the same noise, sounds great ha ha ha - but another from SA - just got a v8 limited 3 weeks ago, and loving it - stock as a rock, but time for bfi and exhause work - a bit too quiet. A cruise sounds okay....