Running individual coilpacks.. possible??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

R-Jay

im just wondering is there any way to run individual coilpacks for each plug??

this is an honest question... im not saying i want to do this... i just want to know if it's possible and what kinda parts are needed to do this??

im just curious because im use to having coilpack mounted plugs (nissans)..

RJ

Well they do it on later 1UZ motors, so yes, kind of. You would need an aftermarket ECU. I really doubt the stock ECU (pre 98) could do it.

Don't expect a big HP gain by doing it. As long as you can reliably ignite the air-fuel mix, that is all you need.

yeah i didnt intend to do it anytime soon, but maybe one day when money allows, and when i want a better engine bay look (plus the small gain in power), i might do just that....

if you are going aftermarket ecu and get something with 8 ignition drivers it is a piece of cake once you mount the coils EMS 8860 could be upgraded to do it or motec M800 i don't know what else has or can be upgraded to 8 ignition drivers but i am sure Autronic would have something. if you are putting in aftermarket ECU and can find 8 coil packs that don't cost an arm and a leg. give it a go! I was just looking at a LS1 and thinking that the coils could be put to good use.

Yeah the chev coil packs could work. The delco can run these, its one of the easy ways to make the delco run on teh 1uzfe. But the price of the coilpacks takes away from the glamour of having a cheap ECU system. The autronic only has four ignition outputs so you would have to run wasted spark.

Coil on plug setup for 1UZ

As mentioned earlier in this post it is possible to set up a coil on plug for a 1UZ, however it is a lot of work. I am in the middle of doing this conversion.

The 1UZ cam covers have to be modified to accept the coils (not enough room). I am using a set of coils from a land cruiser (98) and I have had to pocket the cam covers on a mill and weld in fillers to the cutout. The later cam covers won't work because the exhaust camn drive has been moved to the front of the cam to make variable valve timing easier (1UZ had the exhaust cam drive in the middle of the cam). The ECU's mentioned arew capable of the task. I am using an EFI Technology unit. Some ECU's could be set up to run wasted spark. That means that two coils are fired from a single driver at the same time (the second spark is fired into a cylinder that is on the exhaust stroke). I have set mine ECU up with 8 drivers so that I can tune the ignition timing for each cylinder (gives more accurate control when approaching the ingnition limits of cylinders ruinning at different temps - middle versus outside). The stock engine harness will need to have extra leads run to each cylinder and the old double distributors can be removed. The plastic cover over the old high tension leads will hide most of my modifications, however, the pockets that I cut will show slightly. The front cover can be modified to run closer to the engine when the distributors are removed.

Hope this helps you make your decision...
Steve-O