Running Ethanol in your 1UZ? Turbo 1UZ on Ethanol?

Do you or have you run Ethanol E85 in your 1UZ?

• Yes, aspirated, no problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, turbo, no problems

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Had issues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just prefer to use standard high octane

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hungryforinfo

Anyone running Ethanol in their 1UZ?

Anyone running a turbo 1UZ on Ethanol?

It seems to have a higher Octane rating, and also has cooling properties in the engine, with the only apparent downside being a little bit higher pressure in the cylinder?

From this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koenigsegg_CCXR

Specifically this line in the first paragraph:

"The increased power of the CCXR, compared to the CCX, is a result of the cooling properties of ethanol in the engine's combustion chambers allowing for a higher pressure in the cylinder and the biofuel having a higher octane rating of 113 RON compared to 95 RON for gasoline in North America and 100 RON for gasoline in Europe."

E85 FTW......long term looks like in may in fact need decent hose but about the only down side and can't see good quality hose as a negative ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
In doing some more research, the only thing is, we can only buy E10 at pumps, no higher in Aus. The good news is, Lexus and Toyota support E10. Now if I could just get some E85.

From here:

http://www.onlinemechanical.net/ethanol-E10.html

Lexus All models will operate satisfactorily on E10 except for the model listed below.The following model will not operate satisfactorily on E10 fuel:IS200 - pre May 2002.

Toyota All Toyota models manufactured locally or imported by Toyota Australia since1987will operate satisfactorily on E10 fuel except as listed below:The following models will not operate satisfactorily on E10 fuel due to material compatibility issues:Camry with carburettor engines pre July 1989 and Corolla pre July 1994.Supra-pre May 1993, Cressida-pre Feb 1993, Paseo-pre Aug 1995, Starlet-pre July1999.Land Cruiser-pre August 1992, Coaster-pre Jan 1993, Dyna-pre May1995 Tarago-pre Oct 1996, Hilux, Hiace & 4 Runner-pre Aug 1997, Townace-pre Dec 1998.

Cool, well its coming, but may take some years. It is probably something many of you guys have known about for a while, but I have only just begun to read about it.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/62067/new-victorian-plant-to-create-e85-fuel-from-household-garbage/

One of the comments:

"Anyone who is driving a turbo or supercharger should be looking at E85 as not only does it have a RON value of 109 plus but it also can be taken to much higher Boost levels due to the ability to compress ethanol to a higher level than regular petrol, any motor head knows the benefits of increasing boost, and then add to this a cooler combustion temperature we are looking at a great fuel. It is not surprising the racing industry is so happy wit this fuel."

Ethanol is corrossive to aluminium.

That said E85 shouldn't pse a problem due to the fuel load with it.

E85 is "sort of" available but it comes with a 30% fuel consumption penalty.

Whilst it is a great fuel for horsepower junkies it does require the correct fuel lines (most of us would have them anyway) and you need to upsize your injectors for the increased flow rates needed.

I'd run it if it was available within 20km of my home.

My 80litre tank would then last about 250klm!

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47094.0

Yea we go to Victoria Rd Rozelle and mix a little C16 ...
Need at least 30% more fuel supply than premium..
I find corrosion is an issue only if water gets in fuel system..
Methanol is much more corrosive..
E85 is often near Saab dealer as there cars run on it...
I find the engine can run a little rough down low but under load it loves making power .. 482 rwkw.. Twin 044's 85Lb injectors..5.4 v8...

My mate has secondary methanol injection BEFORE throttle body on a turbo 4.0 Ford and the throttle body is fairly corroded.. But its mainy aesthetics...

Where these fuels have issues is if there's water in fuel tank or excessive tar build up from normal fuel [petrol] the ethanol will mix and clean your system ..
Blocking filter etc in extreme conditions..
Which isn't necessary E10's fault...
Euro cars such as Fords Focus etc simply doesn't like any E additive..
I guess the engine management is so lean E10 plays havoc with it's AFR values..
Earlier engine management tend to run a little rich at wot or higher rpm
which helps when using E fuels..
I find engines that have run E10 has much cleaner combustion chambers. Much like cars with water injection...