Relocating The Standard Throttle Body

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mycarhasposessedme

Hi all,
I have decided to move my throttle body to a more suitable position on my project.
The primary motivation for this, is to reduce the piping length from the intercooler to the throttle body and keep the piping away from the right hand turbo exhaust outlet.
By moving to the position shown in the pics below it will reduce the piping length by 600mm, or 2ft for the yanks and remove a 90deg bend, replacing it with a 135deg one. Nothing to be sneezed at.
The other benefit as I mentioned above, is not having to pass over and very closely to the RH turbo exhaust outlet.
I am going to use a section of 3inch mandrel bent aluminium pipe with a flange welded to either end to mate it all back up.
My only real concern in having a bend in this position, is that it will create turbulence at the plenum inlet.
What do you guys reckon?

135degrees? Sorry it looks less than 90degrees.

I'd be inclined to run it at 90degrees and keep it away from the plenum as far as possible so the air will have straightened up before it enters the plenum, Does that make sense?

This way it isn't any closer to the manifold or turbo but just may give astraighter run into the plenum.

Zuffen, think of 180deg as a straight line and 90 is of course a right angle, 135 is what some people wrongly call 45deg, the protractor tells all. Sorry i'm a builder I love angles.
Yes I was thinking the same about the air entering on an angle.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers

volume.

Ii dont think it will cause any problems as most of the time you only use partial throttle which causes turbulance into the plenum . after 3 engines suffering detonation failures because of various reasons the main one being to much ignition timing the other bad fuel.
Inevery case it was the 2 front lefthand cyls that had damage so that leads me to belive that the plenum is not that good any way. i would recommend building a large volume plenum . i seems that it will give you more hp and better air distribution to the cyls .
I have one at the machine shop at the momment it is 9 ltrs in volume. will post some pics when i get it back.
Regards oz

Thanks Oz, I eagerly await your pics.
9 litres sounds good, I had planned on building a new plenum too, but later rather than sooner.
This was going to be a temp bandaid that solved a few probs and allowed me to concentrate on other things.
Damn you, I'm now thinking about building the plenum again.
Did you use bellmouths in the tops of the runners and step up in throttle body size?
pics,pics,pics
Cheers
Trev

Nice looking work.

My manifold is 8 litres so I'll be close to the figures you're looking at.

I didn't use bellmouths but have radiused the inlet of each runner.

My machinist is working on the manifold and hopefully we will have it finished this week. My heads have been ported so I'm getting close to screwing it all together.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
Lex, CNC to high teck for me, I just purchased some 100x12 alu flat bar and cut them out with hand tools, then finished off with a die grinder and a couple of files.
Now off to get it tig welded.