New to jap V8's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Sudsy

G'day all, i'm new to these new fandangled engines so will probably ask lots of questions:wtf:
First question. I was looking at the engine and trying to work out what i can remove as it's in a 37 Chev that i am building so only want the minimun stuff on there. I reckon i can remove the second butterfly,TPS and the electric thingy (technical word) on the other end of the butterfly. There is also another electric thingy on the front of the plenum that i dont know what it is for but has a hose coming out of it but don't know what it conected to originally but suspect maybe airbox:hmmm: . I have removed the power steering pump and modified the hyraulic fan hub to run as an idler as i will be using the air cond. All ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated:approve: :approve: :approve: .

Thanks Bob

Attachments

• DodgeLexus17Feb06 002.jpg
    DodgeLexus17Feb06 002.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 20
G'Day mate,

The butterfly on the end of the intake can be removed as that was used for traction control. (The electric thingee is the motor that controls it).

The electric thingee on the front of the plenum is the Idle speed control valve, it controls the idle speed. You need this. it should be connected to the air piping after the air flow meter. (not in the airbox).

G'Day mate,

The butterfly on the end of the intake can be removed as that was used for traction control. (The electric thingee is the motor that controls it).

The electric thingee on the front of the plenum is the Idle speed control valve, it controls the idle speed. You need this. it should be connected to the air piping after the air flow meter. (not in the airbox).

Thanks for the info. When you say after the a/f meter is that between the a/f/m and the throttle body or between the afm and the air box. I have never seen under the bonnet of one of these cars and the engine came as engine/ trans/loom & ecu so have to figure out where everything is supposed to hook up.:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Do these engines have a charcoal cannister. Thanks for the help

Regards Bob

A/f meter = a/f/m = air flow meter = AFM = MAF

Engine doesn't have a charcoal canister per se, but your fuel tank should.

Google is your friend when it comes to finding pictures.

A/f meter = a/f/m = air flow meter = AFM = MAF

Engine doesn't have a charcoal canister per se, but your fuel tank should.

Google is your friend when it comes to finding pictures.

The last SC400 I looked in had a charcoal canister, but that was here in the States. Good luck with your build Sudsy, would love to see some pics of the '37!

What Peewee was saying is that the charcoal canister isn't for the engine, it's for the fuel tank.

Don't know if the JDM versions of the car came with canisters or not, but regardless, it's not going to affect the running of the motor in a '37 Chevy chassis, which is what Sudsy is wanting to know.

Thanks for for all the help guys. Here's a couple of pics for ya
S8000699.jpg

S8000698.jpg

S8000700.jpg

Sorry mate, I shoulda worded it better. By saying after the AFM, I did mean between the AFM and the throttle.

I've attached a pic and outlined how things are arranged mate.

Box with AFM is obviously the air flow meter.

The other enclosed box is the idle control valve on front of plenum.

I have also outlined in green the hose which runs from the idle control valve to the air piping. This is how its connected up as per factory. The piping can go anywhere between the AFM and the throttle i.e. anywhere along the pipe outlined in blue. (If you have custom pipes etc.)

100_2983-AFM-ISCV.jpg

PS. Your car looks awesome!

Thanks for the responses fellas.
Now i have another wiring question. I have the 3 plugs that plug into the ECU ( fairly straight forward) then there are 3 other plugs 12, 14, 16 pin that either plugged into the relay or fuse box or the dash. One of them most of the wires go to the trans with 2 going to a sensor right next to the lhf injector and 2 look like they might go to the test plug (not sure as it dissapears under the intake). Another of the plugs has the start wires in it and some that go to the ECU and engine and plug 3 also goes to ECU and engine. Any body know what they plugged into originally.
In hindsight if i had bought the half cut instead of just engine and trans it would have been a lot easier to sort all this out.
Also does the shifter have any electronics plugged into it or can i use any old shifter.
Thanks again for all the help so far.

Regards Bob

if u had a front cut it would still take ages goin thru all the wiring testing were it all goes

there is heaps of wiring behind the dash

anyway plug all the plugs that go into the computer into the computer

then near the computer u will have afew small plugs or one big plug depending what type of 1uz u have

these plugs do all the extra stuff on the engine
plus also the power wires and the instrument wires

unless u have diagrams which u cant buy for the engine to dash plugs u just have to sit down and work it all out for afew weeks

unless u pay someone to do it

another thing to make sure is when u converted the hydraulic pump over to
an idler pulley make sure u put oil inside or it might seize up depending how much of it u removed but whenever i wire them up i tell the customers to put oil inside them before they seal the original holes where the hydraulic fluid went

only thing u need for the shifter is an overdrive switch

all this does is turn off the overdrive so even if u dont have it the auto gbox will go thru all the gears thru to overdrive so its not really needed unless u want to drive in 3rd it wont cause probs

removing the trac stuff on the throttle body wont cause any probs
just a pain in cutting and griding trying to make it all look good
and also having somewhere nice and smooth for the intake pipe to sit

Thanks sideshow. i guess i'll just have to sit there with a multimeter and an esky and work it out.
The hydraulic fan i machined out the back of the housing where the needle bearing goes and fitted another sealed roller bearing same as the front so oil will not be needed.
Thanks again

how many plugs on ecu 3 or 4

there is usually a 3rd or a 4th plug not on the harness which goes up to dash and plugs into last position on the ecu

do u have that

Spent a little bit of time yesterday and sorted a few wires out. One question i have is does the Celsior have idiot lights in the dash to tell you what gear you are in. I think by what i have sorted so far that this is the case but just thought i would ask the question just in case.

Hi Bob,

Not sure if the celsior has idiot lights or not (crown does), but the gearbox has a selector switch which has an output for each selector position. So there will probably be a wire in the loom for each gear position. the switch is feed by 12V so it can be used to drive idiot lights.

Hope that answers your question.

cheers
Daniel

Thanks Daniel, yes there the wires i was refering to. I guessed that they were for lights but doesn't hurt to make sure.

I had an issue with the motor i bought (water in 2 middle cyl r/h side) so motor was replaced but the ecu that came with this one is different to the other as there are 2 plugs on this compared to 4 for the other one (one large with a bolt and one small). Can anyone direct me to drawings or pinouts for this ECU just to save me a bit of time searching:hypnotized: :hypnotized: :hypnotized: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy:

I had an issue with the motor i bought (water in 2 middle cyl r/h side) so motor was replaced but the ecu that came with this one is different to the other as there are 2 plugs on this compared to 4 for the other one (one large with a bolt and one small). Can anyone direct me to drawings or pinouts for this ECU just to save me a bit of time searching:hypnotized: :hypnotized: :hypnotized: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy:

http://lextreme.com/misc.html

Not sure, but it may possibly be the 92-95 SC400 ECU or similar.