Parts Mototron IGN-1A Coils F/S

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
I have 6 Mototron IGN-1A coils for sale. I purchased a case lot of 18 because I needed 12 for my BMW V12 project, and the per coil price for 18 was much more attractive than the per coil price for 12. I'm now simply trying to reduce my stake in the 12 I need by selling the 6 that are surplus.

For those who know about them, these are killer coils; the best you can buy for CNP applications. You won't find any flashy Summit ads for them, or outrageous 100kV numbers being advertised, but these are the ones that'll ignite anything you throw at them. They were developed by Mototron for Mercury Marine, a few years back, and became really hot in the tuner community for guys who couldn't find good ignition solutions for their upgraded EMS project engines. I've attached a screen shot of their spec sheet and testing results at various primary voltages and dwell times. When have you ever seen this kind of hardcore detail about MSD or Accel coils?

I'm using these coils in my naturally aspirated V12 project because 1) I needed coils that packaged well and would look good sitting on my valve covers, and 2) They're simply the best, period.

Now for those of you who don't know much about ignitions, these are hardcore tuner coils. No, these are not upgrades to your stock coils, and no they won't work with your stock ECU or stock distributors. You need a standalone, crank triggered ECU that will handle a waste spark setup to use these. Do a Google search using "Mototron IGN-1A" and educate yourselves. BTW, these are definitely the "1A" coils (with 20a ignitors built in), not the less expensive "1" coils without ignitors.

The best web price on these that I've found with pins & connectors is $65. Several places want over $70 each, then try to zing you another $6 or $7 for the pins & connectors.

I'll let these go as a set for $300, or individually for $60 each. Yes, they're brand new, and have all the pins and connectors.

Obviously, you'll need to find 2 more to run the 1UZ, or whatever V8 you're powering, but with the money you'll save on these, the bite for 2 more, even if you have to pay full whack, won't be too bad.

I had initially planned to eBay these, but then decided to offer them here, out of loyalty to Lextreme. Frankly, I don't expect much interest because most Lextremers tend to stay with stock ignitions, or if they're going standalone with an ECU that has some capability, they skip CNP and go straight to COP. CNP will always have an advantage over COP in extremely high boost or methanol applications, however.

PM me if interested.

Attachments

• Mototron.jpg
    Mototron.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 23
Mecury Racing

History Repeats, My IGN-1A coil (Ignition 1 with Amplifier) was designed for Mercury Racing's use on HIGH SPEED two stroke racing engines.
This was used to replace the Thunderbolt coil after the fitted charging/ignition magneto became obsolete.
Mototron was born out of Mercury Racing engineers, then disbanded with the better engineers returning to Mercury Racing.
What was left was acquired by Woodward.
The IGN-1A coil (their version) is now part of Woodward's new ignition for Lean Burn engines including ION SENSING for accurate AFR control without an UEGO sensor.

The IGN-1A coil is rated by all users as the #1 performance they have ever fitted.

The ONLY Toyota 5.7 V-8 powered Trophy Truck racing in the BAJA uses this coil and of course my ECU.

Lance

Lance, welcome to Lextreme! Good to have you here - unfortunately the forum isn't nearly as active as it once was, but still plenty of hardcore folks here who are using standalones and high powered ignitions.